• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Official Wouter Lambertus Martinus Henricus Poels thread.

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It was also interesting to see the interview on dutch tv.

They asked him if he wants to have his own go at a GC next year and he was very hesistant. More like "I have a top 10 now, and if you rider for the leader and can stay close and get a top 10 that way, that's nice". I think deep down he knows top 10 is his limit. Without working for Froome what would it really gain him? 1/2 places? He'll still have his usual off days. So if he can work for Froome and still get a top 10 he's already happy.

I'd be amazed if he isn't dying to be leader at Giro or Vuelta next year. Unless he believes this was as good a 3 week race as he could potentially ride, I don't see why he would suddenly change his mind about wanting to lead. He deserves it.

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:

They asked him if he wants to have his own go at a GC next year and he was very hesistant. More like "I have a top 10 now, and if you rider for the leader and can stay close and get a top 10 that way, that's nice". I think deep down he knows top 10 is his limit. Without working for Froome what would it really gain him? 1/2 places? He'll still have his usual off days. So if he can work for Froome and still get a top 10 he's already happy.
Maybe he should focus on LBL and Lombardia as co-leader with Kwiatkowski and be a domestique in the Grand Tours.

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:

Well,they kinda *** him this year.No TDF,no Angliru stage win.Better to play it safer as Sky is ruthless with people who don't obey their routine.Poor Kennaugh didn't get any GT this year.
If everything goes well next year he'll get a leadership role in Giro or Vuelta.A dual leadership with Thomas would be better for both actually to share the pressure.

Aug 22, 2017
Visit site
spalco said:
DNP-Old said:
Poels himself said that he had the freedom given by Froome to go for the stage. Says a lot about his personality (or severe lack thereof) that he didn't. Just another brainwashed rider who's fine with being marginal, just like Nieve earlier.

Maybe he doesn't want to be a captain. At Sky if he has a bad day or two it's not a big deal, if he was the designated leader it would be a disaster for his team.

Not everybody can deal with the responsibility of people depending on you to absolutely perform.

Amen! You hit the nail on the head with that last comment (the rest was good, too, mind you). A couple of stages ago the commentators remarked that the Sky train would go to the wall for Froomie because, not only is he a good leader and well liked by the team but he delivers when they empty themselves on flats and mountains. Not every contender has done that as consistently as he has in the last few years. When he gets back to the bus and the guys are sitting there completely done and he hauls out the trophy...that says it all....they've all won and got paid well doing it. It's more than just the money...they deliver!

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re: Re:

Hugo Koblet said:
nilfen said:
Was Poels always as skinny as he is now? Seeing him ride Amstel, he looks like Froome's brother.
I think so. I have always thought of him as one of the skinniest guys in the peloton.
They RAI commentators even mentioned the fact that he looked crazy skinny when they saw him before the race, but yes, he has always been crazy skinny.
No way the guy is actually 66kg, I'm as tall as him and at that weigt and compared to him I look jacked, he's clearly closer to 60 than to 65kg.

And from 2011:
330-PIC219786146.jpg

I know this might be violating the "Don't resurrect of threads (without reason)" rule, but I'm a weird person who is strangely obsessed with riders' (strange) full names and... this is a joke, right? This is someone taking advantage of the everyone can edit think on Wikipedia. In fact, wasn't there some talk a few years ago that even calling him Wouter is wrong, that Wout is his first name.

In fact, if I'm not mistaken I think it might have been some of the INEOS guys who came up with that story about his name…

I know this might be violating the "Don't resurrect of threads (without reason)" rule, but I'm a weird person who is strangely obsessed with riders' (strange) full names and... this is a joke, right? This is someone taking advantage of the everyone can edit think on Wikipedia. In fact, wasn't there some talk a few years ago that even calling him Wouter is wrong, that Wout is his first name.

In fact, if I'm not mistaken I think it might have been some of the INEOS guys who came up with that story about his name…

Yeah, I know I posted his supposed full name in the stage thread, but I'm still unsure whether it's actually true.

TRENDING THREADS