• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Wrist driving?

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
Can someone please tell me wtf this is about? Why are people who are inattentive and can barely drive in the first place, so confident that they can drive a car with their wrist on top of the wheel at the 12 o'clock position. There are a lot of other strange driving habits but I'm concerned about this one because I don't like the prospect of getting run over on the insane streets of South Florida or the NY suburbs where I often ride my bike. Any responses/observations would be appreciated.:confused:

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
I'm guilty of wrist driving. Usually when I'm going down a country gravel road in my '96 Ford Bronco, sometimes I'll even lift my finger as a 'howdy', or 'sup' to a passing vehicle maybe once or twice on my journey. We usually can spot that gesture from 1/8th of a mile, call it the Forest Lake wave. ;)

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Well it's better than knee driving. :D

I've done this lots, it's a comfort thing. To be used in rural roads though, not for the urban domain. Now I'm a two hand driver, must be getting old.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
buckwheat said:
I should have expected mockery.

Like that ridiculous Pammy/Tommy Lee pron where he was steering the boat with his penis.

Mr. Wheat I also drive in both of the areas you frequent . Please wear some type of easy to identify jersey while pedaling your bike so I will be able to see you while I am driving. There are lots of designs on the Onion or Tshirthell.com that would surely suit you. Most men respect nautical penis abilities.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
buckwheat said:
I should have expected mockery.

Like that ridiculous Pammy/Tommy Lee pron where he was steering the boat with his penis.

One of my first instructors could fly a helicopter with just his knees (no collective movement obviously) while lighting his cigarette!

Scared the sh!t outta me...

To your orig point not sure if anyone thought you were being serious or not...I didn't at first. Are you? If so, then yes I agree...it bothers me right up there with make-up application, talking on the mobile without a hands-free, and F-ing reading while driving...

Unless, of course, you're in your '96 bronco rollin' an RR and wavin' hello :D

The cycling equivalent of wrist driving?

jdtocstage1032_600.jpg

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
L'arriviste said:
The cycling equivalent of wrist driving?

jdtocstage1032_600.jpg

Yeah, going down on the bike may be bad, broken bones and hamburger a$$, but I'm thinking of one of these bonehead drivers pulverizing me with my entrails on the street or my skull cracked like a walnut.:eek:

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
patricknd said:
friction...

Not only can a hand grip, there are fingerprints and palmprints for increased friction.

Next I'm going to delve into the question of why these jackasses wear their pants falling off.:eek:

buckwheat said:
Next I'm going to delve into the question of why these jackasses wear their pants falling off.:eek:

True that. Why are we never lucky enough to catch that golden moment in time when, like an apple from the tree, the trousers inevitably fall to their ankles in obeisance to Gravitas the God of Gravity, exposing their soiled underwear to universal opprobrium?

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
pedaling squares said:
Well it's better than knee driving. :D

I've done this lots, it's a comfort thing. To be used in rural roads though, not for the urban domain. Now I'm a two hand driver, must be getting old.

Imma knee driving right now... Broken clavicle