• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Young riders to watch in 2011

ferryman said:
A starter. Please add to the list:)

Dan Martin
Romain Sicard
Brice Feillu
Geraint Thomas
Thomas Sagan

Whats classed as young?
Will be interesting to see how many times Nicholas Roche and Richie Porte are added to the list though i guess they might be young. Not for me though.

Madrazo
Kwiatkowski
Eddie
Uran

Dino
Duarte

And when the hell is Henao coming to the big leagues :(

The Hitch said:
Whats classed as young?
Will be interesting to see how many times Nicholas Roche and Richie Porte are added to the list though i guess they might be young. Not for me though.

Madrazo
Kwiatkowski
Eddie
Uran

Dino
Duarte

And when the hell is Henao coming to the big leagues :(
Sorry I should have qualified my thinking. 24 or younger, no Roche or Porte, too obvious. I will try and edit.

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Clinton Avery
Caleb Fairly
Andrew Talansky
Manuel Cardoso
Fabio Felline
Matthew Michaels
Taylor Phinney
Ben King
Zdnek Stybar
Peter Sagan :p

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Can we make this thread just for neo pros? Seriously, it contradicts the original purpose of my thread anyway of which you took that idea to start this thread.

I don't tend to "watch" individual riders, or indeed, teams, as it tends to make one subjective.

Yet due to recent "debate", I am now compelled to keep an eye on the Kritsoff v Kump development battle.
Fabio Duarte's arrival at top flight Euro races is, to me, compelling.

There is one young rider I am obliged to follow, with great interest, with an eye towards the 2012 London bash.
Since I am talking track and female, there is no need to list here.

However, as she is good pals with both Alex Dowsett and Taylor Phinney,
I shall be keeping up with their respective pro progress.

All Neos:

- Tim Roe from BMC, a great opportunistic climber

- Marko Kump, a rock-solid sprinter

- Michael Matthews, already proved he could against pro competition

- John Degenkolb, seems ready to shine already

- Giacomo Nizzolo, Italian future star

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I'm interested in Phinney... I expect little on normal road stages to be honest, but I want to see him in some stacked TT fields and see how he looks.

Michael Matthews and John Degenkolb are interesting in that they have shown a lot in different types of terrain (while Phinney has been more limited to the flats for his success). I'm interested to see what kind of riders they turn into.

I'm also curious about Ben King (the one from the US). I know it was mainly luck from a break that got him the jersey... but maybe that propels him to a good first season in the pro ranks.

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
repetitions seems impossible. Regardless, this is my list:

Jack Bobridge
taylor Phinney
Cameron Meyer
Andre Steensen
Peter Kennaugh
Peter Sagan
Sebastian Lander (continental)
Rasmus Quaade (continental)
Jimmi Sørensen (continental)

that's about it.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
betancur, great climber, winner of giro bio now with acqua e sapone
fabio duarte, world champ u23 2009
tim roe
cameron meyer, jack bobridge , if they do not focus on track
fabio felline, already winner among the pro, the italian valverde
sacha modolo, a great sprinter in his second year, already 4th at M-SR
nizzolo, the new bartoli?
romain sicard, pineau
degelkob
and I cannot stop

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
@ roundabout
-- Le bon is still in the youth ranks, and I personally think there are a few more talented riders in that area. But we'll see.

Degenkolb
Matthews
Nizzolo

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Tom Jelte Slagter

I'm skeptical. I see him developing into a very strong rider, but think he and coen (whom I hold in high regard..) will both have a year in the shadows. Which isn't a bad thing for neo pros.

Be good to see him feature in some short stage racing though, confident he is capable.

I'm hoping Kritsky can have a better year, and stay injured free.

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
I'm skeptical. I see him developing into a very strong rider, but think he and coen (whom I hold in high regard..) will both have a year in the shadows. Which isn't a bad thing for neo pros.

Be good to see him feature in some short stage racing though, confident he is capable.
Both Vermeltfoort and Slagter are question marks for me... Vermeltfoort doesn't quite seem to have the level he had before his lost season due to mono (the fact that he isn't mentioned once in this thread, although he used to be one of the biggest talents around, illustrates this).

As for Slagter, he'll probably get a free role in one or two weeklong stage races, and we'll see what he's capable of. He already did quite well in a mountain stage at the Volta a Portugal, and in the Settimana Lombarda, which suggests that he should be able to hold his own among the pros. He seems the pure climber type, a good replacement for Ardila perhaps :p (he's just as small, that's a start)