• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Your impressions after the first part of the season 2015?

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
The best stage race: Vuelta Andalucia, what a battle between Contador and Froome in February! :)

The best one-day race: Gent-Wevelgem despite it is not a monument but it was incredible race: strong cross wind, dramatic scenes and intelligent attack of Paolini

The best rider: Kristoff and Degenkolb are flashed truly but Valverde was the most impressive. He took places 2-1-1 in Ardennes Classics and won 3 stages in Volta a Catalunya. What a vital rider :eek:

The most impressive attack: Quintana on Terminillo (Tirreno-Adriatico)

New faces: Julian Alaphilippe and Tiesj BENOOT

The most disappointment: injuries of Cancellara and Boonen

Spring fully and Ardennes classics:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDE2ZbtQKJk

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Best stage race: Volta a Catalunya
Best one-day race: Gent-Wevelgem by far
Best rider(s): Kristoff, Degenkolb, Valverde, Porte

Best stage: The chaotic stage 5 of Pais Vasco with a huge break of +30 men from the start.. Riders spread all over the parcours in the last 30k.. I wish ALL climbing stages were like that! + Having Tony Martin in a break is always awesome.
Best stage race: Pais Vasco.
Best classic, The disordered Gent-Wevelgem was perfect. Strade Bianche in second. But Flanders and Roubaix were good too. Liege was also pretty good this year. At least better than in 2014.
Best fresh face: Zakarin, Alaphilippe.
Best rider overall: Kristoff, Degenkolb, Valverde, Porte. In that order.
Biggest disappointment: Kittel.

Overall, I'm satisfied with the season so far.
Andalucia and Gent - Wevelgem stand out among the races and Degenkolb among the riders (to open the Monuments' account with two is really special).
Mild disappointment were cobbled Monuments, but that shouldn't downgrade Kristoff's and Degenkolb's excellence.

Best stage race: Andalucia. If not Paris-Nice.
Best one day race: Strade Bianche
Best rider: Degenkolb or Kristoff
Most impressive attack: Rohan Dennis at the TDU :) Valls at Oman was pretty good, but Froome at Andalucia would take it.
Best fresh face: Alaphilippe

Best stage: Stage 6 Paris-Nice
Biggest disappointment: Chris Horner not being able to ride ToC. Sagan and Kittel.

Re: Your impressions after the first part of the season 2015

The best stage race:Vuelta al Pais Vasco
The best one day race:E3 Harelbeke
The best rider:Valverde,Porte,Kristoff and Degenkolb
The most impressive attack:Richie Porte in Giro del Trentino
New faces:Zakarin
Biggest disappointment:Wiggins-Roubaix,i was expecting more.

What was so good about Harelbeke this year? Almost nothing happened before Paterberg. Of course it was still very good (especially when compared to the Ardennes races), but I think it was totally overshadowed by Gent-Wevelgem, which was extraordinary.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site

DBotero said:
The best stage race:Vuelta al Pais Vasco
The best one day race:E3 Harelbeke
The best rider:Valverde,Porte,Kristoff and Degenkolb
The most impressive attack:Richie Porte in Giro del Trentino
New faces:Zakarin
Biggest disappointment:Wiggins-Roubaix,i was expecting more.

That attack from Porte in Down Under where he dropped Dennis on Willunga Hill was even more impressive :)

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Most of the riders I have been following look to be on the downside of their careers. Many of the up and comers have not yet captured my attention or fan boy. Not that many top showings for N American riders either. While this is not a commentary on the quality of the races so far it only speaks to a lack of results of the riders I am a fan of. Others have listed some of my favourite moments this season so far.

The best stage race: Ruta del Sol (the 2 greatest GC riders fights it out)
The best one day race: Strade Bianche (The cobbled and Ardennes classics didn't really offer greatness this year, but Strade Bianche was as always chaotic and entertaining). Gent Wevelgem also better than in previous yrs.
The best rider: Valverde. By far the best rider of this spring.
The most impressive attack: Gallopin on the Nice-stage in Paris-Nice. Hazallanas Contador was great too, especially the first km of the climb.
New faces:Zakarin, Benoot, Valls (this season saw his revival as a GC rider)
Biggest disappointment: Cancellara out of the classics... and Vanmarcke's weak performances.

The most impressive attack was Jürgen Roelandts in Gent-Wevelgem. Nothing else comes close. That was the day he bought my support forevermore.

Best stage race is País Vasco followed by Andalucía, best one-day race is Gent-Wevelgem followed by Strade Bianche. Catalunya earns bonus points for being far better than it had any right to be given the unpromising parcours.

Best riders are Kristoff and Degenkolb followed by Porte, Paterski and Valverde. If he was able to actually make some of the moves stick rather than just accumulate endless placements, van Avermaet would belong here too.

Best breakout is Zakarin followed by Alaphillipe. Honorable mention to Izagirre for his País Vasco performance; he's been on the podium of WT races before but not in that kind of racing against that kind of field.

Biggest disappointment: Richie Porte.

Re:

Libertine Seguros said:
The most impressive attack was Jürgen Roelandts in Gent-Wevelgem. Nothing else comes close. That was the day he bought my support forevermore.

Best stage race is País Vasco followed by Andalucía, best one-day race is Gent-Wevelgem followed by Strade Bianche. Catalunya earns bonus points for being far better than it had any right to be given the unpromising parcours.

Best riders are Kristoff and Degenkolb followed by Porte, Paterski and Valverde. If he was able to actually make some of the moves stick rather than just accumulate endless placements, van Avermaet would belong here too.

Best breakout is Zakarin followed by Alaphillipe. Honorable mention to Izagirre for his País Vasco performance; he's been on the podium of WT races before but not in that kind of racing against that kind of field.

How so?

Re: Re:

Cance > TheRest said:
Libertine Seguros said:

How so?
I also included him in the Best riders category, so I thought this was clear: dull, unlikable, unstoppable.

Best stage race: Andalucia. - Battle of the top dogs
Best one day race: Strade Bianche/Gent Wevelgem
Best rider: Degenkolb/Kristoff/Valverde/Porte
Most impressive attack: Froome at Andalucia
Best newcomer: Alaphilippe
Biggest disappointment: Froome/Contador/Nibali/Sagan/Cancellara,/Boonen/Kittel/Quintana/Gilbert. None of these guys delivered an epic as expected of their Top status. All Monuments were disappointments for the lack of attacks

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site

My impressions? The only realistic reply I could make would have my posting transferred to The Clinic. Shame after things seemed somewhat improved (not completely OK) for the last few years