• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Your top 3 Giro stages? (in the last 10 years)

As the title says...
What Giro stage you enjoyed the most? Name 3 of them (up to 5 if you can't decide:D)

I begin ;)

Brescia - Aprica 2010
Carrara - Montalcino 2010
Legnano - Monte Pora 2008
Savigliano - Sestriere 2005
Santuario Di Vicoforte - Chianale 2003

From the newest to the eldest (I could never put them in order of epicity:rolleyes:)

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Finestre stage 2005
Aprica 2010
I can't remember the stage but the one where Di Luca and Savoldelli attacked together when they were both riding for LPR. Was that 2008?

The Fedaia stage was brilliantly laid out with six categorised climbs, you had your three-man breakaway, your two men riding across, the maglia rosa dumped unceremoniously, you had Sella riding away from the bottom from a group of 4 containing two teammates, then Pellizotti, then Pozzovivo attacking the heads of state. Then Riccò went and went alone, shedding everybody, Piepoli crashing out, Contador and Menchov being the only ones that could follow Riccò, then Simoni and di Luca riding back to them, then attacking again...

It's also the only time Fedaia has been a stage finish, and it should by no means be the last.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
The Fedaia stage was brilliantly laid out with six categorised climbs, you had your three-man breakaway, your two men riding across, the maglia rosa dumped unceremoniously, you had Sella riding away from the bottom from a group of 4 containing two teammates, then Pellizotti, then Pozzovivo attacking the heads of state. Then Riccò went and went alone, shedding everybody, Piepoli crashing out, Contador and Menchov being the only ones that could follow Riccò, then Simoni and di Luca riding back to them, then attacking again...

It's also the only time Fedaia has been a stage finish, and it should by no means be the last.

Is there a video of it on youtube so I could watch it? Thanks.

Eshnar said:
As the title says...
What Giro stage you enjoyed the most? Name 3 of them (up to 5 if you can't decide:D)

I begin ;)

Brescia - Aprica 2010
Carrara - Montalcino 2010
Legnano - Monte Pora 2008
Savigliano - Sestriere 2005
Santuario Di Vicoforte - Chianale 2003

From the newest to the eldest (I could never put them in order of epicity:rolleyes:)

Pretty much agree with all of these being my picks, too.
If I were to suggest another, non-high mountain stage for it's tactical effectiveness and darned exciting racing, I'd add........
Saeco Simoni's Stage 10 Montecatini - Faenza 2003 effort.

Mellow Velo said:
Pretty much agree with all of these being my picks, too.
If I were to suggest another, non-high mountain stage for it's tactical effectiveness and darned exciting racing, I'd add........
Saeco Simoni's Stage 10 Montecatini - Faenza 2003 effort.
AAAAAh, that's a great pick, thanks for reminding me that great stage :D
I'd like to suggest also S.Vendemiano - Falzes 2004, with Cunego attacking at 50/60 kms to go with two his teammates in the breakaway stopping and waiting for him, in order to drag him to the foot of the Terento, where he destroyed the field.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Compared to some people here, I am a late comer to the giro and have ony truly follwed the giro twice in the past. If you have youtube video links to these stages, it would be much appreciated if you post them.

Thanks

ACF.

auscyclefan94 said:
Compared to some people here, I am a late comer to the giro and have ony truly follwed the giro twice in the past. If you have youtube video links to these stages, it would be much appreciated if you post them.

Thanks

ACF.
For many of these stages it's difficult to provide youtube links...
S.Vendemiano - Falzes 2004 I only found this brief video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFxY-0FvjKs
Can't find the two Giro 2003 stages we were discussing :( but there's the Zoncolan stage which wasn't that bad :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMYP6NL045Y
As for the legendary Sestriere 2005, we have a good coverage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xOJniKOuCs

Im surprised so many have already mentioned Aprica. Because everyone seemed to feel that mud was better but Aprica was epic. It had time gaps fluctuate massively, climbs, descents, riders eliminated from the running, 60km of action and a grand tour decided there and then.

The Hitch said:
Im surprised so many have already mentioned Aprica. Because everyone seemed to feel that mud was better but Aprica was epic. It had time gaps fluctuate massively, climbs, descents, riders eliminated from the running, 60km of action and a grand tour decided there and then.
I feel Aprica was better than Montalcino just because 60 kms >> 20 kms.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
will10 said:
Finestre stage 2005
Aprica 2010
I can't remember the stage but the one where Di Luca and Savoldelli attacked together when they were both riding for LPR. Was that 2008?

Eshnar said:
That was the stage I posted :) Monte Pora 2008.

my favorite was the stage that had a long stretch of strada bianca where salvodelli rode within himself, without any help and held on the lead and went on to win the giro. part 1 part 2 part 3

the winner was the little guy from selle italia, i think.

gregod said:
my favorite was the stage that had a long stretch of strada bianca where salvodelli rode within himself, without any help and held on the lead and went on to win the giro.

the winner was the little guy from dicquigiovanni, i think.
That was the Sestriere 2005 stage... That they're gonna repeat this year, thanks God (or Zomegnan)

Eshnar said:
I definitely agree on this one

It should be the last one. The 2008 Fedaia stage was one of the most boring Fedaia stages ever.

That's like puting the finish line in the top of Mortirolo...totally pointless.

On topic:

2000: Abetone (with S Pellegrino in Alpe, Casagrande's exhibition), Selva di Val Gardena (Fedaia FTW)

2001: Passo Pordoi (Fedaia again), Arona (Simoni's exhibition)

2002: Passo Coe

2003: Faenza, Ponte Chianale (Frigo & Simoni shining in the hail and to monsters, Fuaniera and Sampeyre)

2004: nothing special...perhaps the Presolana stage with Mortirolo and Vivione

2005: Sestriere obiously, one of the best stages ever

2006: Aprica (Basso & Simoni)

2007: Briançon (great stage with Simoni on the attack), Bergamo (great again with Di Luca in trouble), Tre Cime di Lavaredo

2008: Pescocostanzo (medium montain) and Monte Pora (Di Luca attacking)

2009: no one

2010: Montalcino, Asolo (Monte Grappa), Aprica (Mortirolo), all great stages.

Some statistics. I've mentioned 18 stages. Only 2 of them have a hard MTF (Passo Coe and Lavaredo)