• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Jumbo - QuickStep merger

Page 58 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Who's saying they're putting up more money? Plugge is out of time. It's a salvage operation to make sure they have a team next year after the merger failed (that's what it certainly appears like from the outside).

They might try to spin this as positive news but it's a total clusterf*ck.

Brother if they don't put up more money JV literally can't pay their riders. Jumbo is a 10M gap. Someone has to. Obviously they will put more money in (maybe not 10M, but definitely more if they are becoming a namesponsor). My guess is that Plugge was looking for a way bigger sponsor, didn't find them so they went to PON who was probably already wanting to put up that money (but not more). That's a guess ofcourse.

Brother if they don't put up more money JV literally can't pay their riders. Jumbo is a 10M gap. Someone has to. Obviously they will put more money in (maybe not 10M, but definitely more if they are becoming a namesponsor). My guess is that Plugge was looking for a way bigger sponsor, didn't find them so they went to PON who was probably already wanting to put up that money (but not more). That's a guess ofcourse.
Didn't they get some money for Roglic? And they don't have to pay him anymore. Wouldn't be surprised if that's already 5M closed. And like you said PON might have closed the rest of that gap.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Didn't they get some money for Roglic? And they don't have to pay him anymore. Wouldn't be surprised if that's already 5M closed. And like you said PON might have closed the rest of that gap.

But they also got Tullet and Jorgensen (ok, Dennis salary was probably pretty big too), and renewed some contracts like Laporte who's earning more now. Roglic money will probably cover more than that, but there's no way PON is going to be namesponsor for 5M. I'm assuming it will be at least 8M, like I said before, there's just no way Plugge can't find a sponsor that can atleast put in that amount.

If a horrible team like Lotto was one and half years ago can convince a relatively small company like Dstny to put in 8M a year in 2 or 3 months time, Plugge can find one too. PON is huge, I'm sure they will at least come close to what Jumbo payed, it also makes a lot of sense for them.

anyone knows any big Danish canned fish company willing to step in?
this whole topic is very fishy!

8774d76efe6b3f2b2c81161a09a21219.jpg

Rich coming from perhaps the forum's most ardent fan of a single team.

First of all, never said there's anything wrong with him protecting his team.
Second, I've shiit on Lotto a lot over the years here, I'm a fan, I make it pretty clear, but I've been very critical of them in the past. Wasn't even hard with the way they were ruining their team.

Also, you're not the one to talk with the BS you've been spewing on this forum over the years. Just like everyone else, you're not better than anyone. Now go on and have discussions with arguments about cycling which I know is pretty hard for u.

First of all, never said there's anything wrong with him protecting his team.
Second, I've shiit on Lotto a lot over the years here, I'm a fan, I make it pretty clear, but I've been very critical of them in the past. Wasn't even hard with the way they were ruining their team.

Also, you're not the one to talk with the BS you've been spewing on this forum over the years. Just like everyone else, you're not better than anyone. Now go on and have discussions with arguments about cycling which I know is pretty hard for u.
Ready to escalate to insults. Very surprising.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Lefevre is an old-school cat and I think he will be the last to lose his hand.

I think Remco on the other hand can lose greatly if he is not careful.

The contract buy out option that Remco is looking at if SQS is to be kept alive can be what other teams won't lay down, and then he is stuck in a team that might be going in a different direction.

I am not sure how the relationship between lefevre and remcos entourage is but I find it somewhat uneasy.

I am leaning towards nothing will happen between SQS and JV. I think its politics happening to play people out.

Lefevre is good at what he does. Really really good.

After the Amazon news, I think I'm going to be super cautious with regards to what I believe.

One week ago Patrick Lefevere speculated the Amazon deal could scupper the merger... yet the merger has failed & now Amazon (which people believed was 100% happening) is apparently also falling through.

So the PON news should mature a little more before we all jump to conclusions IMO.

After the Amazon news, I think I'm going to be super cautious with regards to what I believe.

One week ago Patrick Lefevere speculated the Amazon deal could scupper the merger... yet the merger has failed & now Amazon (which people believed was 100% happening) is apparently also falling through.

So the PON news should mature a little more before we all jump to conclusions IMO.

I agree with being cautious about what to believe. Too much stuff happening and too many things not turning out to be true in the end.