• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Jumbo - QuickStep merger

Page 60 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
anyone knows any big Danish canned fish company willing to step in?

Glyngøre?
Though, they might be more interested in sponsoring the team of the rather famous person from the town of Glyngøre.

If we all chipped in, would be able to become title sponsor of the team?

"Team Cycling News Forum"?

It would not sell enough Lego to justify the investment, no.

You underrestimate how much Lego I might buy if there was official cycling-related Lego! I am an adult!

Though, as I have mentioned elsewhere, I would actually prefer something that isn't associated with one particular team.

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan and noob
60 pages and it isn't even going to happen.

Everyone should be pissed that it isn't after all the efforts put into this thread and only to find them completely wasted.

Wait until Team Jumbo Visma announce their own liquidation, aka bankruptcy due to lack of adequate funding & sponsorship money. Sh*t will hit the fan again real fast.

I'm just kidding about Jumbo going under, although...

Not true. Bohra confirmed today that the merger story was the reason why Roglic came to Bohra. They heard the news of the possible merger during the Vuelta (yes, quite long before the press). Subsequently they noticed that Roglic was "pissed" during the last week of the Vuelta. So, 1 and 1 give two. They contacted Roglic (not the inverse) and started negociations.

He didn't leave for Bora, he left and then proceded to find a team, which happened to be Bora.

The decision to leave was made months ago and had nothing to do with the merger talks, but rather the need to be on a team he could captain at the Tour.

Reactions: Sandisfan and xo 1
Watching this from the sidelines as a journalist I don't believe in conspiracies but I believe all the huge amounts of rumors who has surrounded this affair hasn't grown without intent by someone, or probably many people.

For one thing for example Lefevere looks much better in many eyes now.

Reactions: xo 1
For one thing for example Lefevere looks much better in many eyes now.
How, by riding in on his white charger to offer to rescue the remnants as the flames engulfed them?

What this actually suggests is that Lefevere was in the back seat and had no control over what was happening: Bakala was in the driving seat.

Now, he's got a lead investor looking for the exit and a team destabilised by a fortnight of rumours which had the remnants being thrown on the scrap heap. For the 2024 and 2025 seasons Soudal-Quick-Step is on Death Watch and no amount of showboating or posturing is going to make Lefevere look like the hero of the piece.

You underrestimate how much Lego I might buy if there was official cycling-related Lego! I am an adult!

Though, as I have mentioned elsewhere, I would actually prefer something that isn't associated with one particular team.
I actually worked for a company that was part owned by the Lego heirs at Kirk Kapital ... never met them, but assume it's run by a bunch of lawyers/accountants looking for the biggest possible returns for their clients (the Lego heirs) money. The company I worked for went belly up so they're obviously not so smart!

• Wow
Reactions: noob and Sandisfan
Reactions: Sandisfan
The rumours that were more fantasy than reality.

Neom

June:
The Jumbo-Visma team could be sponsored by the huge Saudi Arabian Neom development project, with team manager Richard Plugge describing a report by WielerFlits as ‘interesting’ while denying that he has any direct contact with people from Neom.
Three months later:
The team was linked to Saudi Arabian Neom development project, however, Plugge denied that he had any direct contact with people from Neom and the reports have subsequently described as 'fake news' by one well-informmed source to Cyclingnews.

Bakala's Selling Out
Soudal-QuickStep team manager Patrick Lefevere has denied suggestions that his Soudal-QuickStep team has been sold to an American investor for $16.5 million, insisting he is ready to complete his ‘Project Remco’ five-year plan, fight off offers from major rival teams and so help Remco Evenepoel try to win the Tour de France.

What other TJV/SOQ stories ended up being so divorced from reality they ought to have been paying alimony? It's been such a long summer it's hard to keep track of them all.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I am not a fan of everything Patrick Lafevere has said in his career but he has managed to come out of this looking better than his Jumbo colleague. Patrick says maybe he'll keep a B Team Quickstep and then a day or two later, the merger is off. Whether it's fair or not, Patrick is the only person of power in this thing that publicly cast some doubt on this thing before it fell apart.