• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Coronavirus: How dangerous a threat?

Page 409 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
There is so little uptake in the USA that anyone can get a shot any time.

I did the original two round in Jan/Feb 2021, then Nov 2021, May 2022, Nov 2022, and Nov 2023. My plan is Nov 2024 unless there is a compelling reason otherwise. Maybe a year is stretching it based on your case? Although I've had pretty hard core flu 3 or 4 times and assumed that the vax just didn't hit the variant mark very well, or that my immune system was battered and couldn't put up a good fight. Who knows...

Hopefully you will be back on the bike soon! Are you in a warm location?

Thank you, looking forward to going on rides soon again! The weather is abysmal with freezing rain, but I won't mind that while on the bike.

Yeah, the flu vaccine doesn't always work for me either in terms of not getting sick, but I try to tell myself it's a milder version than I would have gotten otherwise. Might be the same wit the COVID vaccine.

Thank you, looking forward to going on rides soon again! The weather is abysmal with freezing rain, but I won't mind that while on the bike.

Yeah, the flu vaccine doesn't always work for me either in terms of not getting sick, but I try to tell myself it's a milder version than I would have gotten otherwise. Might be the same wit the COVID vaccine.
Lots of interesting data on how it's not totally random how they pick which strain of flu vaccine to make available.. but it's certainly a best guess and not exact.
Because of our household situation.. wife working 14 months in a Covid ward in Mexican hospital, she and I both w vaccines.. she had 2 I have had 3 from VA..Pfizer thinking that our exposure is pretty widespread. Travelling from US to Mexico 2-4 times per week all through pandemic because of essential worker status. I am very encouraged by the overall outcome in the US by the vaccine campaign for Covid.
That said recently I have read multiple things about adults and kids that give me concern. Adults are hesitant like never before for many many decades ,towards vaccines. And school admissions people seeing dramatic trends of kids being unvaccinated and applications for personal and religious exceptions to enter school without vaccines.

the only effect so far is that salty foods have started to taste saltier and while it's not too bad either, it's probably not something that I would want to have long-term
I had a similar effect with sweet stuff when I got it the first time, which was really odd, and left me basically unable to eat cookies, cake, and things like that. But yeah, it disappeared after a while.

There is certainly a part of me that understands the "there are so many vaccinations now (COVID, Influenza, Respiratory Syncytial, Shingles...)" thinking, but I don't understand the complete dismissal of scientific data (that goes back long before COVID).

There is certainly a part of me that understands the "there are so many vaccinations now (COVID, Influenza, Respiratory Syncytial, Shingles...)" thinking, but I don't understand the complete dismissal of scientific data (that goes back long before COVID).
When we use a household cleaner and it says it kills 99% of germs..don't spend lots of time thinking about what the 1% is..personally I do a quick glance and see 99 and because that's a way higher number than the rest of my life, sounds like a victory and I move on. When I hear about what the vaccines are trying to cover, way less than 99% but if I get @25-50 of known things out of the way, feeling a little better. Can't speak for world, but in the United States the messaging about what to expect from any vaccine is lost. I have listened to extended versions of why vaccines are bogus because somehow ( I don't know how!!) Tens of millions in the population got the message that vaccines are 100% effective, and in reality when they fall way way short of that you get.. All vaccine claims are big pharmaceutical propaganda.. I get it.. Still dangerous.. and as I said don't know the answers just the problems.

Reactions: jmdirt
Vaccines are being over-marketed IMO.
That said, two former co-workers that had been hospitalized during the early Covid era with pneumonia have reliably taken preventative vaccines. They've been free of late season respiratory issues for several years now.

I should have found a vaccine for this RSV before it got me. I was in pretty good shape before but have work to do to get back to that. My wife shook it off pretty quick, thankfully.

Reactions: jmdirt
Vaccines are being over-marketed IMO.
That said, two former co-workers that had been hospitalized during the early Covid era with pneumonia have reliably taken preventative vaccines. They've been free of late season respiratory issues for several years now.

I should have found a vaccine for this RSV before it got me. I was in pretty good shape before but have work to do to get back to that. My wife shook it off pretty quick, thankfully.
All pharma is being overmarketed.

Reactions: Oldermanish
All pharma is being overmarketed.
And being misused leaving shortages for people that really need specific drugs.

Australia is the same. The take up of the new vaccines and drugs like Paxlovid for high risk patients has been slow and virology and vaccine experts are sounding frustrated. Australia had a worse start to the previous flu season but it it dropped off pretty quickly. RSV was also creating some issues.

Last edited:
My turn to dance with the covid - my brother visited for the holidays and gave the whole family covid he had picked up from some coughing kid on the plane, today it's day 14 and I've tested negative. I still have some snot, a cough, and fatigue, but the worst of it (even worse fatigue, temperature, headache, and terrible body aches) seems to be over. I don't know how long it'll take to get fully well, but it's at least a relief to know the virus has left my body and I don't want it back! (Will continue/go back to wearing a mask and exercising precautions when mingling with the general public, besides covid there's all kinds of other crap going around.)

PS - my elderly dad is high risk and mercifully Medicare paid for his Paxlovid, but for those without insurance it now costs $1600 for a five-day course in this state! :eek:

Last edited:
My turn to dance with the covid - my brother visited for the holidays and gave the whole family covid he had picked up from some coughing kid on the plane, today it's day 14 and I've tested negative. I still have some snot, a cough, and fatigue, but the worst of it (even worse fatigue, temperature, headache, and terrible body aches) seems to be over. I don't know how long it'll take to get fully well, but it's at least a relief to know the virus has left my body and I don't want it back! (Will continue/go back to wearing a mask and exercising precautions when mingling with the general public, besides covid there's all kinds of other crap going around.)

PS - my elderly dad is high risk and mercifully Medicare paid for his Paxlovid, but for those without insurance it now costs $1600 for a five-day course in this state! :eek:
Get well!