• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Movie Thread

Page 99 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
There were many geo political and historical issues that had to be boiled down and ultra concentrated to tell the story and even w that it still took 3 hours!! Oppenheimer went to a school in NYC and was raised as a very liberal progressive thinker. In history, not a stretch, that is pointed out over and over in the film that he was a man in demand. He would summer in New Mexico as a boy and young man. It was all smooth sailing in the movie, but history has Oppenheimer gave an ultimatum, either we build the lab and testing facility in New Mexico or I am out.
Hemingway and Oppenheimer were men of a certain age and in the film, Smoking and drinking were downplayed in the film. Both guys had some similar habits. It was never clear in the movie, book or American history when the clear time line of when Russia was depicted as an adversary instead of our ally defeating Germany, Japan. Communism is still a thing.
I watch Napoleon soon..
I've heard bad things about Napoleon, and just from the trailer I thought Joaquin Phoenix was a horrible choice to play that role, and the clips I've seen since then only confirmed it. Looking forward to your take, though!

Napoleon was terrible, Phoenix was a bad casting choice, nothing was good about the movie, lots of the scenes were they were trying to show an approaching army from far away looked like art work from Mr. Rogers Neighborhood.

The Hill is a sort of baseball movie, more about a devoted family, w an intense Christian faith. If it's not rated G it should be. Excellent all around, the music in the movie gives you a 1970s feel. I enjoyed it

• Love
Reactions: kingjr
Napoleon was terrible, Phoenix was a bad casting choice, nothing was good about the movie, lots of the scenes were they were trying to show an approaching army from far away looked like art work from Mr. Rogers Neighborhood.
Why, thanks for confirming, now I'm definitely not going to watch it :D

I saw Ronin over the weekend, a somewhat underrated (I think) 90s action flick with a star-studded cast including Robert De Niro, Sean Bean, Stellan Skarsgård, Jean Reno, Michael Lonsdale, Jonathan Pryce, and guest starring Kati Witt!

Why, thanks for confirming, now I'm definitely not going to watch it :D

I saw Ronin over the weekend, a somewhat underrated (I think) 90s action flick with a star-studded cast including Robert De Niro, Sean Bean, Stellan Skarsgård, Jean Reno, Michael Lonsdale, Jonathan Pryce, and guest starring Kati Witt!
Jean Reno is awesome in almost everything. If you want a great semi classic.. Jean de Florette, with this guy who doesn't make bad movies as a rule.. Jean Dr Florette is a great film.

Reactions: movingtarget
Jean Reno is awesome in almost everything. If you want a great semi classic.. Jean de Florette, with this guy who doesn't make bad movies as a rule.. Jean Dr Florette is a great film.
Straight-up Drama is not usually my favourite genre, but I may give this a go at some point, if only to finally see Depardieu in something that's not Asterix or the Count of Monte Cristo.

Two good films,
American Fiction.. a really good movie. The director is outstanding, and there are scenes were a guy is typing a story on his laptop and it's happening in the room in front of him, and when he changes his mind, hits delete, new thing happens until he is satisfied.
May December is good..
Dumb Money about the Game Stop stock speculation is a really good movie.. Based on real life
Under Doggs..a Snoop Dog football movie, Bad News Bears w too much slang and cursing, so much I couldn't follow what little story there was.. Glad the 30 minutes I could sit through were free..
honorable mention.. The Passenger.. another take on Falling Down or any other movie were someone gets fed up and....
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rBUYCbf3r4U&pp=ygUNdGhlIHBhc3Nlbmdlcg%3D%3D

The rest of the movie is the same..

Last Passenger (2013) - This train disaster flick had so much potential, but as the minutes passed the dialogue and storyline got more and more inane and unlikely. It was never explained why certain characters acted a certain over-the-top way, and the ending I guess turned out to be a happy one. (I wouldn't know, I quit actively watching because I just stopped caring.)

Hannibal (2001) - Tried to rewatch this mess and got only about halfway through... god bless the actors because they did the best they could with their roles, but the tone was uneven and the dialogue sometimes downright silly, and the unnecessary grotesqueness didn't make up for these shortcomings. I think Hannibal is an extremely poor sequel to Silence of the Lambs and it isn't all because Jodie Foster wasn't in it.

Idiocracy (2006) the movie that supposedly predicted Tik Tok ! Funny in parts and mercifully short. One view is enough...........sort of like Tik Tok..........
Movie is a cult classic.. If you see Hot Tub Time Machine, does a similar twist, because he knows the future he tells everyone to go into the future without him and invents Google and gets to be a billionaire. Also cool sports scenes because they know the future and are watching the NFL they know the outcome of the game and make some bets..wagering some colorful things..
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dPKh4-MdhuQ

Third attempt at watching Oppenheimer (2023) - Oppenheimer is probably a very good movie (or at least reviews suggest it is), but the fact it's three hours long has such a defeating effect on me, I've fallen asleep three times already trying to watch it. That's not to say I found it boring, far from it! I think the scientific parts are incredibly fascinating (for example, I had to google the difference between an atomic bomb and a hydrogen bomb and how the blasted things even work), and there are so many historical figures who have their own backstory I feel like I need to watch documentaries on them all to understand stuff, and of course there's all the politics... there's a lot of complicated stuff crammed into three hours I think I'll just have to split the movie into a miniseries. Trying to digest it all in one sitting is a little too overwhelming for me, so hopefully the miniseries game plan will work.

Third attempt at watching Oppenheimer (2023) - Oppenheimer is probably a very good movie (or at least reviews suggest it is), but the fact it's three hours long has such a defeating effect on me, I've fallen asleep three times already trying to watch it. That's not to say I found it boring, far from it! I think the scientific parts are incredibly fascinating (for example, I had to google the difference between an atomic bomb and a hydrogen bomb and how the blasted things even work), and there are so many historical figures who have their own backstory I feel like I need to watch documentaries on them all to understand stuff, and of course there's all the politics... there's a lot of complicated stuff crammed into three hours I think I'll just have to split the movie into a miniseries. Trying to digest it all in one sitting is a little too overwhelming for me, so hopefully the miniseries game plan will work.
We loved the movie!! It was very good and yes the length did get tiring but I do love long movies.

We loved the movie!! It was very good and yes the length did get tiring but I do love long movies.
I've got nothing against long movies, love The Right Stuff (1983) about America's space program, for example, and it's even a little longer than Oppenheimer! (On the other hand I made it through Sofia Coppola's disastrous Godfather III, but that's only because dad and I went to an actual theater to see it and we just didn't think of walking out even though we should have. lol!)

I've got nothing against long movies, love The Right Stuff (1983) about America's space program, for example, and it's even a little longer than Oppenheimer! (On the other hand I made it through Sofia Coppola's disastrous Godfather III, but that's only because dad and I went to an actual theater to see it and we just didn't think of walking out even though we should have. lol!)
Wait to you endure a Lord of the Rings and Hobbit extended edition run through.

Loved the whole Lord of the Rings trilogy (passed on The Hobbit stuff), didn't even know there were extended cuts of these.
Retune of the King is over 4 hrs.

In my opinion it is worth it because you can see the story fleshed out more and it’s closer to the vision that Jackson wanted to release. In the same vein I wish Lucas had released the 4 hr extended edition of Revenge of the Sith like he had wanted to.

Nothing new , the repetitive," I liked the book better", but..in the case of Kai Bird's book, Nolan needed the movie to be 3,4 times as long to capture detail of an entire life, his childhood was absolutely fascinating and no time spent in the film forming anything, and his drinking, smoking and infidelity were barely mentioned, his relationship with New Mexico was part of the film, but how quickly it was decided between interested parties as the mother ship of the Manhattan Project was very consolidated, as it had to be.

Reactions: Tricycle Rider
Spaceman
Adam Sandler plays the space man. He is going crazy, to semi crazy from isolation in his capsule. He gets phone and video calls while in orbit, he also gets something new, some really really serious marital problems with his wife played by Carrey Mulligan, strange movie and that's after thinking that The Shape of Water was weird, Sandler talks to and hugs a giant spider while in flight...?

The Beekeeper
Jason Statham plays his regular character. The enemy is cyber criminals and instead of being Nigerian scammers that tell you they love you, the internet rip offs go all the way to the President of the United States' son, who is written and played exactly how you think, it's got tons of action, almost non stop.