• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Movie Thread

Page 100 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Priscilla
A movie about her. Dad was in the military, and Elvis is serving in Germany at the same time, Priscilla is 14 years old, Elvis meets her at a party. He gets out of the Army and waits for his version of her coming of age, and in the movie they take time so you don't get a really, really creepy feeling about Elvis being a paedophile,

Poor Things
I watched it because it won a bunch of awards, it was a visually beautiful movie, in crazy colorful, imaginary scenes, Emma Stone works in brothels and has sex with a bunch of people. And I guess to be modern and up to date you see lots of the nudity that would go with a sex worker in a brothel .

Reactions: movingtarget
If I had to say something near perfect is the mini series starring Nicole Kidman
Expats
It takes place in Hong Kong and the director is a genius, as good of photography and scene set up of any movie or TV show. And it jumps around w more than one character having lots of story time and it's great

Ferrari
Absolutely terrible, the movie is 2+ hours long and it's divided an hour and 45 minutes of Ferrari looking into the camera w a serious scowl and 15 minutes of cheesy race footage ..movie could have been 1 scene of an Italian guy struggling to make a good car and skip to modern day
Haven't seen Ferrari but it sounds like an arthouse movie - lots of staring into the camera or into space is a must in arthouse! :D

Haven't seen Ferrari but it sounds like an arthouse movie - lots of staring into the camera or into space is a must in arthouse! :D
Not art anything, it's as if American film makers are trying to make us hate cars and racing!! Matt Damon and Christian Bale made a disaster and smeared the legacy of Carroll Shelby automotive genius. Should be a law against car movies, and the last one to come close,
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X94Sd-CxX4c&pp=ygUOZHJpdmVuIHRyYWlsZXI%3D

Not unexpected given all the hype, but Oppenheimer cleaned up at the Oscars last night. Guess I'll have to finish watching it now... I swear I've been watching all these documentaries about nuclear weapons and their development and whatnot just so I could halfway follow Oppenheimer, but watching the actual whole movie will be the end of me. lol! The Holdovers got some nods also, so I think I'll watch that at some point.

All in all it was an uneventful Oscar ceremony... Jimmy Kimmel wasn't very funny, Melissa McCarthy wore possibly the worst dress of the night, and Michael Keaton looked downright pissed when the presenters (I think it was Schwarzenegger and Danny DeVito) were jokingly talking to and about him. He was just glaring at them, what the heck was his deal?

On that note I'm no fashionista, but I think this dress is just an unflattering mess.

upload

* my German is marginal*
winning best foreign film, The Zone of Interest is really cool.. Done in the version I saw with subtitles as part of the movie, so if you are not a fan of subtitles, nobody is, it's not a distraction and does not take away understanding and enjoyment of an awesome story. As an American, I didn't know anything about the actors, director and it was all very very good.. I didn't see any of the other films nominated in the category.

* my German is marginal*
winning best foreign film, The Zone of Interest is really cool.. Done in the version I saw with subtitles as part of the movie, so if you are not a fan of subtitles, nobody is, it's not a distraction and does not take away understanding and enjoyment of an awesome story. As an American, I didn't know anything about the actors, director and it was all very very good.. I didn't see any of the other films nominated in the category.
This sounds very promising, I'll have to give it a watch on some *cough* illegal *cough* source being every legal source like Amazon charges $20! I guess they expect the whole family to watch it because then the price would make sense, but I'm not sure a movie about Auschwitz would be appropriate for little kids. (Not that I have any myself, but my point stands.)

Not unexpected given all the hype, but Oppenheimer cleaned up at the Oscars last night. Guess I'll have to finish watching it now... I swear I've been watching all these documentaries about nuclear weapons and their development and whatnot just so I could halfway follow Oppenheimer, but watching the actual whole movie will be the end of me. lol! The Holdovers got some nods also, so I think I'll watch that at some point.
I finished watching Oppenheimer on Peacock. I had to break it down into 3 nights of watching - about an hour each night of viewing time (I didn't have time nor the stamina to watch the entire 3 hr film all at once).

Excellent film & the best WW2-related docudrama that I've seen since Operation Valkyrie with Tom Cruise (which had on me on the edge of my seat for almost every second of that movie!). I'd say there were similar moments in Oppenheimer like the suspense of the testing of the bomb at Trinity Site & those profound moments of Oppenheimer consulting with Albert Enstein (look at the brain power of these two physics legends).

Over the years I have watched many documentaries on The Manhattan Project, the dropping of the atomic bombs on Japan, and the proliferatition of nuclear weapons, etc. And living in Colorado & bordering New Mexico, I've been to Los Alamos several times & have driven by Trinity Site in White Sands National Park (it's only open twice a year to the public). So, I was able to keep up with the science & historical part of the movie.

I thought Cillian Murphy did an outstanding job of portraying Oppenheimer, and I didn't realize that Matt Damon & Mathew Modine were in the film (didn't recognize them right away. Lol).

Last edited:
I finished watching Oppenheimer on Peacock. I had to break it down into 3 nights of watching - about an hour each night of viewing time (I didn't have time nor the stamina to watch the entire 3 hr film all at once).

Excellent film & the best WW2-related docudrama that I've seen since Operation Valkyrie with Tom Cruise (which had on me on the edge of my seat for almost every second of that movie!). I'd say there were similar moments in Oppenheimer like the suspense of the testing of the bomb at Trinity Site & those profound moments of Oppenheimer consulting with Albert Enstein (look at the brain power of these two physics legends).

Over the years I have watched many documentaries on The Manhattan Project, the dropping of the atomic bombs on Japan, and the proliferatition of nuclear weapons, etc. And living in Colorado & bordering New Mexico, I've been to Los Alamos several times & have driven by Trinity Site in White Sands National Park (it's only open twice a year to the public). So, I was able to keep up with the science & historical part of the movie.

I thought Cillian Murphy did an outstanding job of portraying Oppenheimer, and I didn't realize that Matt Damon & Mathew Modine were in the film (didn't recognize them right away. Lol).
I have camped here multiple times and think about big things each time you look out at the expanse ..and each time I visit the area I think about what NYC looks like and how blown away Oppenheimer must have felt when he was in the high desert!!

Reactions: Nomad
Mar 18, 2024
Visit site
The Beekeeper
Jason Statham plays his regular character. The enemy is cyber criminals and instead of being Nigerian scammers that tell you they love you, the internet rip offs go all the way to the President of the United States' son, who is written and played exactly how you think, it's got tons of action, almost non stop.
“The Beekeeper” was a total blast! My wife and I are big on Jason Statham movies, and this one didn’t disappoint. Definitely a must-watch for any Statham fan.

Mar 18, 2024
Visit site
For the most part there are a few actors that say if it's not broken don't fix it, give fans what they want
You make a good point, @Unchained. Some actors have really found their niche and know how to consistently deliver entertaining films for their fan bases. Jason Statham is a great example - his action movies follow a familiar formula, but they're always highly watchable. Variety is nice too of course, but there's nothing wrong with giving fans what they enjoy!