• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

This Forum Is Dying

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Okay, I wasn't here 10 years ago but it's not like nothing is happening...?
Sure, the very fact I am so active for RVV proves your point - I used to be one of those "July fans" ;). But as Netserk said, in the peak years this forum was far more active. For example, the stage 18 thread of 2011 TdF (Andy's 60km raid, Contador's implosion and Cadel's chase) was 118 pages!

The other indicator is the Clinic. That was far more active back then. These days I've noticed it can go a week or more with no posts. While a member since 2011, I was lurking in the forum since Floyd had his own thread in the Clinic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tricycle Rider
The forum is less active because forums as a medium are waaaay less popular than 10-15 years ago, it's really that simple
I’ve tried some of the other options like Reddit and I much prefer this. Forums are a way to get high quality discussion and are designed in a way that favors conversations and a bit more nuance as opposed to the rapid fire like-based post visibility systems on other types of sites. I also think you get a more serious fan base in forums.

Oh, forums are absolutely the superior medium if you ask me. Reddit is basically a massive forum with a worse interface and a shorter attention span. But most people seem to value the convenience of not having to create separate accounts for everything /not needing to visit a dozen different sites over everything in which forums are still superior. Which is why the internet has become so centralized and why now almost everything in the internet happens in a handful of websites and apps owned by an even smaller handful of massive corporations

I’ve tried some of the other options like Reddit and I much prefer this. Forums are a way to get high quality discussion and are designed in a way that favors conversations and a bit more nuance as opposed to the rapid fire like-based post visibility systems on other types of sites. I also think you get a more serious fan base in forums.
Agree 110%. Forums (or going even more ancient, listserves) are the only means to have some continuity to discussions, and provide the possibility to join a discussion a day or week after it started.

I also think Covid played a role in forum activity - since 2020. We were starved of racing for a while.

Then we just started having lengthly discussions about marble races. In other words; we... lost our marbles.

I too agree that forums (or is that fora?) are supperior to other forms of online communication in many ways. Just the fact that someone can return after a several years hiatus, and immediately be remembered (I did that myself recently on another forum); bet you wouldn't see that on reddit.

Then we just started having lengthly discussions about marble races. In other words; we... lost our marbles.

I too agree that forums (or is that fora?) are supperior to other forms of online communication in many ways. Just the fact that someone can return after a several years hiatus, and immediately be remembered (I did that myself recently on another forum); bet you wouldn't see that on reddit.
Reddit just ends up being a thumbs up or thumbs down kind of affair, and I get so, so very tired of reading the same kind of "top" comment over and over where people who agree with each other just give each other the thumbs up.

Dumb platform reddit is, I prefer a forum where you can actually discuss stuff more in-depth, if you wish.

And I think back in the glory days, this forum had way more trolls like Ryo, Ray J Williams and Taxus (he got my head spinning like a merry go round everytime he said Contador was a worse climber than Úran, Valverde and Purito) than these days.
Taxus wasn't a troll. He just dared to express opinions that differed, particularly on Contador. Ryo was the king of trolls. He still inhabits YouTube.

And who can mention the glory days of the forum without mentioning The Hitch ;)

I don't remember anyone saying it was dying but it doesn't hit the fever pitch of the mid 2000s either with the rabid Contador, Nibali,Scleck, Evans fans plus you also had all of the doping controversies going on at the same time and that side of things has obviously dropped off. I know some fans went to other forums including a few that were banned. As for looking back in some sort nostalgic reverence that's a laugh but the forum was much more heated in those days because it was allowed to be until it wasn't..............plus with most forums the free time dries up and careers and family sometimes make it more difficult.

Taxus wasn't a troll. He just dared to express opinions that differed, particularly on Contador. Ryo was the king of trolls. He still inhabits YouTube.

And who can mention the glory days of the forum without mentioning The Hitch ;)
Taxus is the ultimate troll. Things like Landa is the best climber in the world (when Froome was in his prime) is just mind blowing. And now he is saying Froome needs time to be the best in the world, giving the example of horner winning his vuelta at 39 years old. If this isn't trolling big time, I don't know what it is.
The Hitch and the Clinic is a true love story.
I forgot El Pistolero and his "love" for Valverde.

Where were you when an "Alberto Contador appreciation thread" was not enough and Flo had to make the "I LOVE ALBERTO" thread?

bfc84bdf-3e35-48ec-9390-a6ca01a52507_text.gif

• Love
Reactions: gregrowlerson
Reddit just ends up being a thumbs up or thumbs down kind of affair, and I get so, so very tired of reading the same kind of "top" comment over and over where people who agree with each other just give each other the thumbs up.

Dumb platform reddit is, I prefer a forum where you can actually discuss stuff more in-depth, if you wish.

I think forums are not so in vogue right now because their a platform best used in a PC and not on a smartphone, which this generations seems to prefer. And while I still use CN forum on the smartphone, it's not very convenient to post with it.

I like Reddit but usually hide the first couple of replies to a thread and go check the middle comments which usually are more substantial. But can only use it on the smartphone, not really a fan of it on computer. But it's way worse to follow a race live than on a forum.

I think forums are not so in vogue right now because their a platform best used in a PC and not on a smartphone, which this generations seems to prefer. And while I still use CN forum on the smartphone, it's not very convenient to post with it.

I like Reddit but usually hide the first couple of replies to a thread and go check the middle comments which usually are more substantial. But can only use it on the smartphone, not really a fan of it on computer. But it's way worse to follow a race live than on a forum.
Smart phones are very frustrating simply because of lack of screen space and you can't do a cntrl-F to quickly find something.

Latest posts