• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 949 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
My biggest concern is how his team manages him and their general approach to competing for GT success. For they seem to not know exactly what is required. For instance going for the WCITT last year was a nice project, but should it have been a main goal before such a demanding Vuelta they also wanted him to win?
to be fair to QS and Remco: last season the three targets before the season was Liege, Giro and WC ITT. Vuelta was a late add-on after he DNF’ed Giro. So it’s fair to say that the WCITT was the main goal and Vuelta a secondary target of the autumn season.

to be fair to QS and Remco: last season the three targets before the season was Liege, Giro and WC ITT. Vuelta was a late add-on after he DNF’ed Giro. So it’s fair to say that the WCITT was the main goal and Vuelta a secondary target of the autumn season.
Right, but in terms of confidence building, once the Giro went up in smoke, I'd have either done WCITT as planned and skipped the Vuelta or ditch it to go to the Vuelta best prepared. That seems to be smarter than making both attempts to win.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
I agree, it'll be a good test to see how he compares with Vingegaard. No one expects him to win, so just ride, do your best, and learn. At the same time we can see if his team learned anything in the previous races. I doubt it.
If we indeed learn from our mistakes, then Soudal would at least learn a little bit about something. Let's have faith. Go Remco Go!

I agree, it'll be a good test to see how he compares with Vingegaard. No one expects him to win, so just ride, do your best, and learn. At the same time we can see if his team learned anything in the previous races. I doubt it.
You seem discouraged. Soudal, for the team it was, should have signed a WVA or a MVDP, but chose Evenepoel, a gamble they may come to regret. You see, Don Pat's squadra knows how to win classics and monuments, but GTs have been mostly unchartered territory, yet for other teams are bread and butter. So Soudal must reinvent itself. But have they been able to do it?

Last edited:
You seem discouraged. Soudal, for the team it was, should have signed a WVA or a MVDP, but chose Evenepoel, a gamble they may come to regret. You see, Don Pat's squadra knows how to win classics and monuments, but GTs have been mostly uncharted territory, yet for other teams are bread and butter. So Soudal must reinvent itself. But have they been able to do it?
Then also get the proper directors. It's not only about the riders, you also need the right staff for a GT team.

You seem discouraged. Soudal, for the team it was, should have signed a WVA or a MVDP, but chose Evenepoel, a gamble they may come to regret. You see, Don Pat's squadra knows how to win classics and monuments, but GTs have been mostly uncharted territory, yet for other teams are bread and butter. So Soudal must reinvent itself. But have they been able to do it?
They already won a GT in 2022.

Soudal have a very decent good team to backup Remco, and the staff of the team is very good. They know how to develop riders, even Landa is in really good shape in these first months.

They already won a GT in 2022.

Soudal have a very decent good team to backup Remco, and the staff of the team is very good. They know how to develop riders, even Landa is in really good shape in these first months.
The Vuelta 2022 though came with a big GT fart in the 2023 Spanish edition. And Landa used to be a GT contender, but has now assumed the domestique-delux role. He's good, but has always been when not having to be the leader (which evidently weighs upon him). Let's see where Remco is at ITZULIA.

Last edited:
Maybe due to Eddy being the GOAT and you want Remco to be associated with him. Whilst the lord almighty might not even know on how to ride a bike.
If he is omniscient, he would know how to ride a bike. But as a non-physical being, he would not be able to ride a bike.
I'll stop now, in case I have to warn myself for breaking the GRAPES rule.

The Vuelta 2022 though came with a big GT fart in the 2023 Spanish edition. And Landa used to be a GT contender, but has now assumed the domestique-delux role. He's good, but has always been when not having to be the leader (which evidently weighs upon him. Let's see where Remco is at ITZULIA.
Soudal squad is not that vast in quality, they can't make 3 good teams like Visma or Emirates, for each GT, but they have enough quality to go with a very good team to help Remco in the Tour.

Guys like Landa, van wilder for the mountains, vansevenant, knox, cattaneo and vervaeke who is a great all rounder, lampaert and asgreen who can protect Remco in the flat stages.

Unfortunately for them Alaphilippe and Masnada can't be at 100% due some issues, it would be great addictions for Remco.

Soudal should focus just in Remco ambitions and Merlier for the sprints, i think they're time in classics it's over(except the ones suited for Remco).

They have a good staff, the perfomances guys, nutritionists, sports diretors, they still have a good staff, capable of support especially Remco. Certainly they played a strong role on how they developed Remco since 2019, and helped him on winning so much.

Do you guys feel Remco has chance to win Amstel??

In terms of the classics, it's already clear he can win Liege and may well add a couple more Liege titles to his name over the course of his career.

Can he take an Amstel title? Is the parcours suitable for his ability?
Other classics like Roubaix or Flanders seem to be out of his reach.

• Wow
You genuinely doubt his ability to win Amstel? A hilly circuit that favours the big engines, I think AGR has Evenepoel written all over it. I think Evenepoel can win any Ardennes/Limburg classic. I even think he can win Flanders and Roubaix if he wants to. Question is more whether a certain Tadej P. is riding the same race or not.

Reactions: Didinho
Soudal squad is not that vast in quality, they can't make 3 good teams like Visma or Emirates, for each GT, but they have enough quality to go with a very good team to help Remco in the Tour.

Guys like Landa, van wilder for the mountains, vansevenant, knox, cattaneo and vervaeke who is a great all rounder, lampaert and asgreen who can protect Remco in the flat stages.

Unfortunately for them Alaphilippe and Masnada can't be at 100% due some issues, it would be great addictions for Remco.

Soudal should focus just in Remco ambitions and Merlier for the sprints, i think they're time in classics it's over(except the ones suited for Remco).

They have a good staff, the perfomances guys, nutritionists, sports diretors, they still have a good staff, capable of support especially Remco. Certainly they played a strong role on how they developed Remco since 2019, and helped him on winning so much.
That's a rather optimistic outlook, no? Cattaneo is hit or miss, Van Wilder too, Landa is an old fox, Vansevenant a lucky charm at best. However, if the cards fall into place and the team strategists don't plan things wrong, then maybe. There are too many variables to predict much, but have doubts yes.

In terms of the classics, it's already clear he can win Liege and may well add a couple more Liege titles to his name over the course of his career.

Yes. It is probably the most fitting of all classics for him. He has been dominant on such profiles since he was a junior. But he has to break guys like Pogacar and Van der Poel on the flats in order to be able to drop them, because if he only tries on the hills, he won't win, as they are also faster at the finish.

You genuinely doubt his ability to win Amstel? A hilly circuit that favours the big engines, I think AGR has Evenepoel written all over it. I think Evenepoel can win any Ardennes/Limburg classic. I even think he can win Flanders and Roubaix if he wants to. Question is more whether a certain Tadej P. is riding the same race or not.
Other than Pogacar having a better sprint, Amstel is far more Evenepoel territory than it is Pogacar. He'll have to lose the Slovenian, which is in the latter's advantage. But the race itself is more tailored to Evenepoel's skillset.

Reactions: gregrowlerson
Maybe due to Eddy being the GOAT and you want Remco to be associated with him. Whilst the lord almighty might not even know on how to ride a bike.
I thought Eddy was the lord almighty!

I think it's because like the level of admiration/shade in the original title, the new one just seemed like I was getting trolled with every contribution or click...

The moment he has a gap of 10m, it's over

I thought Eddy was the lord almighty!

I think it's because like the level of admiration/shade in the original title, the new one just seemed like I was getting trolled with every contribution or click...
I think the previous thread titles were to mock those who still do not understand that the original title was chosen tongue in cheek based on his results as a junior (which were indeed better than Merckx at that age), those who are still triggered to point out he is not the new Merckx while it is abundantly clear there will never be another rider to match Merckx his palmares.

Reactions: red_flanders
Yes. It is probably the most fitting of all classics for him. He has been dominant on such profiles since he was a junior. But he has to break guys like Pogacar and Van der Poel on the flats in order to be able to drop them, because if he only tries on the hills, he won't win, as they are also faster at the finish.

Other than Pogacar having a better sprint, Amstel is far more Evenepoel territory than it is Pogacar. He'll have to lose the Slovenian, which is in the latter's advantage. But the race itself is more tailored to Evenepoel's skillset.
Pog isn't riding Amstel, but Mathieu has it scheduled.

A technical course full of stop start where the cars are not even removed from the road. There's a reason he has never tried to win....

If you look a the profile it should suit him but if you look at the map not so much.

Flanders and Roubaix lol. Rewatch his attempt at Brabantse Pijl

I think the previous thread titles were to mock those who still do not understand that the original title was chosen tongue in cheek based on his results as a junior (which were indeed better than Merckx at that age), those who are still triggered to point out he is not the new Merckx while it is abundantly clear there will never be another rider to match Merckx his palmares.
I see. That sounds about right. It was too over the top for me. :)

@Billie. He won several cobbled courses as well (Brussels CC, Druivenkoers). I don't believe the 'Evenepoel can't ride on cobbles' mantra, it's all about the watts and how strong you are in one day races.

Your point on technicality I do find more on point, though I wouldn't necessarily say AGR is technical, it's just has a lot of corners and obstacles. It's not the same of technical course like Roubaix. I stand corrected, but I think Amstel suits Evenepoel really well.