• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 950 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
I think the previous thread titles were to mock those who still do not understand that the original title was chosen tongue in cheek based on his results as a junior (which were indeed better than Merckx at that age), those who are still triggered to point out he is not the new Merckx while it is abundantly clear there will never be another rider to match Merckx his palmares.
Still, it's a heavy load to bear and automatically provokes derision. Merxcks today would probably not win the Tour. And, so, the original title is a metaphorical provocation, which now has become an albatros.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
Still, it's a heavy load to bear and automatically provokes derision. Merxcks today would probably not win the Tour. And, so, the original title is a metaphorical provocation, which now has become an albatros.
It's not a heavy load to bear as it was never meant to be an actual comparison or at the very least, not one to be taken too seriously for reasons i pointed out. You realise Wilco Kelderman had a nearly identical thread title? You didn't? Well, there is a reason for that.
The title was picked early in his 2nd junior year. As far as predicting in early 2018 which rider would best stand the comparison goes (for those who do want to take it seriously), 6 years later you have to acknowledge only one out of a thousand other riders who was a complete unknown back then, might have turned out a better fit.

It's not a heavy load to bear as it was never meant to be an actual comparison or at the very least, not one to be taken too seriously for reasons i pointed out. You realise Wilco Kelderman had a nearly identical thread title? You didn't? Well, there is a reason for that.
The title was picked early in his 2nd junior year. As far as predicting in early 2018 which rider would best stand the comparison goes (for those who do want to take it seriously), 6 years later you have to acknowledge only one out of a thousand other riders who was a complete unknown back then, might have turned out a better fit.
I'm well aware of early-hype predictions about future GOATs, but then actual performance sets in inevitabily. No, what I really want to say is that, as far as Belgium and cycling are concerned, unfortunately, despite tounge and cheek prognosticasions, the kid has an immense weight placed upon his shoulders. More than any other rider I'd dare say in history with social media involved. Povero Remco

Reactions: Sandisfan and Wvv
That's a rather optimistic outlook, no? Cattaneo is hit or miss, Van Wilder too, Landa is an old fox, Vansevenant a lucky charm at best. However, if the cards fall into place and the team strategists don't plan things wrong, then maybe. There are too many variables to predict much, but have doubts yes.
I honestly think it's a very decent team to protect Remco, but at the end of the day, what will decide, will be the legs of the leaders.

Reactions: Extinction
I'm well aware of early-hype predictions about future GOATs, but then actual performance sets in inevitabily. No, what I really want to say is that, as far as Belgium and cycling is concerned, unfortunately, despite tounge and cheek prognosticasions, the kid has an immense weight placed upon his shoulders. More than any other rider I'd dare say in history with social media involved. Povero Remco
Yes, that is true. But that has little to do with the intent of this thread title, which was what the discussion was about.

Flanders and Roubaix lol. Rewatch his attempt at Brabantse Pijl
Well you should rewatch his attempt at Brabantse Pijl since what made him not win the race, was that he did ride on (wet) cobbles of the Hertstraat instead of riding on the gutter...
He didn't have any problems on the Moskesstraat (which is the local paterberg).

As said earlier, he won several cobbled races . Him having issues on cobbles is fake news.

I heard Pog went to altitude training today so he can be strong for LBL. I'm wondering if Itzulia will give Remco the training and strength he needs to win LBL once again. Amstel and La Fleche will also aid in his preparation. Of those two races I hope he wins La Fleche instead of Amstel...although I'm not opposed to any victory he achieves.

I heard Pog went to altitude training today so he can be strong for LBL. I'm wondering if Itzulia will give Remco the training and strength he needs to win LBL once again. Amstel and La Fleche will also aid in his preparation. Of those two races I hope he wins La Fleche instead of Amstel...although I'm not opposed to any victory he achieves.
Mathieu will do Amstel, if he has any power left.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I will say it again, even if i'm not sure, but i believe the top riders are using hypobaric chambers when they're not at altitude.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan and Andre
You seem discouraged. Soudal, for the team it was, should have signed a WVA or a MVDP, but chose Evenepoel, a gamble they may come to regret. You see, Don Pat's squadra knows how to win classics and monuments, but GTs have been mostly unchartered territory, yet for other teams are bread and butter. So Soudal must reinvent itself. But have they been able to do it?

well, Remco has won numerous classics plus a GT. Seems they chose wisely

I'm well aware of early-hype predictions about future GOATs, but then actual performance sets in inevitabily. No, what I really want to say is that, as far as Belgium and cycling are concerned, unfortunately, despite tounge and cheek prognosticasions, the kid has an immense weight placed upon his shoulders. More than any other rider I'd dare say in history with social media involved. Povero Remco

Remco actually compares very well with Merckx at this point in their respective careers. It was age 24 that was the big Merckx breakout, the same age as Remco now. They both at this point had 1 GT, 1 world, and several stage winds and 1 day wins