• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 532 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Well he was 3rd

That said, I also do believe Pogacar is the best classics rider.
Pogacar was 4th in 2022 Flanders or 3rd in MSR. Who was closer to win the race, Pogacar or MVP today? This is the difference, MVP can't challenge Pogi (at all) in hard hilly races but Pogi can compete with MVP in cobbled classics. Even if MVP has more monuments or worlds, I will always say Pogi is better because his main focus is not win classics (is winning the Tour). Otherwise MVP plans his season carefully to really be at his peak in classics (Olympics this year for example). I really can the scenario where Pogi wins Giro-Tour but ends being beaten by MVP in the ORR and some people will say how MVP is better than Pogacar in one day races, ignoring completly the effort Pogi put to win the double.

Pogacar was 4th in 2022 Flanders or 3rd in MSR. Who was closer to win the race, Pogacar or MVP today? This is the difference, MVP can't challenge Pogi (at all) in hard hilly races but Pogi can compete with MVP in cobbled classics. Even if MVP has more monuments or worlds, I will always say Pogi is better because his main focus is not win classics (is winning the Tour). Otherwise MVP plans his season carefully to really be at his peak in classics (Olympics this year for example). I really can the scenario where Pogi wins Giro-Tour but ends being beaten by MVP in the ORR and some people will say how MVP is better than Pogacar in one day races, ignoring completly the effort Pogi put to win the double.
I agree with you, thats not the point. Just saying that he finished 3rd afterall which is quite impressive for a rider of his stature.

Poggi's main focus is to win everything.

Time to drop the bomb, he is the best classics rider in the World!!!! Where was MVP today? Pogi can compete in the cobbles, MVP can't compete in these hard hilly classics
Oh, Mvdp certainly can compete. Winning against Pog is another matter, but he did beat all the skinny climbers bar one. That said, I think an on-form Remco or Roglic would have given Pog a real challenge.

Reactions: jmdirt
I agree with you, thats not the point. Just saying that he finished 3rd afterall which is quite impressive for a rider of his stature.
And I partly agree with you. I'm ahuge fan of him however the stars aligned to his 3rd place. Just like his Amstel win. He is very intelligent tactically (and for this reason he is a massive overachiever in hilly classics) and I think this is the quality where he distinguishes himself from WVA.

Reactions: scribers
Maybe so but between them they only won one monument outside of Italy and first non-European winner of a monument was 2003 which is a great illustration of how long it was before cycling became a truly global sport in the way it is now.
Cycling is not a truly global sport now. The 8 strongest nations are all European. It's a niche sport in most parts of the world (by population).

And so what? It's still a great sport.

Cycling has created a monster. I'm pretty sure we will look to Pogi as football fans look to Ronaldo/Messi. In the next 50 years, we won't see anything close to Pogi in cycling. It is just ridiculous how godly good he is. I have watched cycling for 25 years and I can say riders I truly loved like Gilbert, Bettini, Cav, Sagan, Armstrong, Cippo, Boonen, Contador, they all look kinda mediocre riders next to Pogacar.