• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

De Ronde van Vlaanderen (270.8 km), 2024 March 31 (Sunday)

Page 46 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
So alot of shitting on Pedersen here as expected, sure Horner is going to go all out "knucklehead" later.

Mads has said he quickly figured he didn't have the watts on the climbs, but the flat was reasonable. That is why he tried to get ahead of things and maybe get a somewhat decent result. He of course didn't get the gap he was hoping for, but he was never going to win this anyway.
If he had been out of contention with 80 kilometers to go instead, we would not even talk about him. At least he tried.

Paris-Roubaix is the race Pedersen gets accounted for after his crash at Dwars door Vlaanderen!

So alot of shitting on Pedersen here as expected, sure Horner is going to go all out "knucklehead" later.

Mads has said he quickly figured he didn't have the watts on the climbs, but the flat was reasonable. That is why he tried to get ahead of things and maybe get a somewhat decent result. He of course didn't get the gap he was hoping for, but he was never going to win this anyway.

Apparently, he has admitted that it wasn't the smartest race tactically.

Reactions: Escarabajo
And even said that he maybe should listen to all the comments sent his way after the race.

I thought it was a little embarrassing that the Danish commentators didn't call out the idiocy while it was occurring.
With his crash in mind, I think he did the right thing to begin with, and he found himself in an excellent group with Van Baarle and Benoot.

When exactly do you think he should have realised that he made a mistake and what different choice should he then have made?

With his crash in mind, I think he did the right thing to begin with, and he found himself in an excellent group with Van Baarle and Benoot.

When exactly do you think he should have realised that he made a mistake and what different choice should he then have made?

The attack with Vermeersch was okay to initiate (because he couldn't know who would join - I bet he hoped for a group like the one you mentioned à la last year) but as soon as he realised it was just going to be those two, he should have stopped.

The thing is, there was still some road left for an anticipating move, but not much. If UAE actually blew the group up on Berg ten Houte and Wellens bridges across, it'd be his best chance. When the time goes by and "nothing" happens, I think it's difficult to sit up on purpose. Much easier to do so in reaction to a specific event.

Are the organisers of the Belgian races willing to hold the roads closed for shorter amounts of time than usual this year? Only 87 riders finished today, and the slowest finishing riders were only 12 minutes down, while the time limit was at 29 minutes.

Something similar happened in other of the cobbled races. A bit disrespectful of the riders, I think.
I think with this weather a lot of riders just take a shortcut and go to the finish when their work is done. Some races even pass the finish line with couple laps to go.

I think with this weather a lot of riders just take a shortcut and go to the finish when their work is done. Some races even pass the finish line with couple laps to go.

I don't think so. Most riders want to finish the monuments if they can. I also seem to recall that I saw an angry rider or two post on Twitter about this a few days ago (I can't remember who it was).

By the way, Astana had no riders finishing... Good job.

Reactions: Didinho
Yeah, Pedersens move looks braindead on paper, but honestly, from the point MvdP had closed the gap to the Pedersen/Benoot/Van Baarle group, he was the only one (outside of Team Alpecin) riding to win. If at any point during his "solo" riders had managed to jump over to him, he would have look like a genius. And it's not like that was an unrealistic scenario. I guess once Alpecin had organised the chase properly his cause was hopeless, but going solo where he did didn't have to lead to this result.

Reactions: Zoetemelk-fan