• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Itzulia Basque Country 2024, April 1-6

Page 53 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It would be a terrible thing to consider no matter who it was. Vingegaard, Evenepoel and Roglic deserve their careers just as much as [insert domestiques here].
I think there are two aspects here. The body, the health and ability to race professionally of all riders is universally important.

The downstream effects on the sport, of how races unfold, and the product that audiences consume, are very different depending on who is involved.

While Weylandt's death hanged over the entirety of the 2011 Giro, it would have affected how fans saw the race for the overall victory differently if Scarponi, Nibali or Contador had died.

It’s happened many times. Just look at 2014- nobody discounts Nibal’s win because Froome and Bertie crashed out. Roche and Delgado won in 1987-88 despite both LeMond and Fignon being injured or just way off their game due to illness/gatigue/tapeworm or whatever the hell caused Fignon to not be near his best.

I don’t want to dwell on the naughty times since we don’t even have a winner for those years.
Yeah, but none of those riders were as dominant throughout the season and within the races as the top riders have been in the last couple of years.

And not true either, I think Vingegaard was the first to go down. Not that it matters, I share the assessment that the whole peloton entered the corner too fast.
It's hard to watch the entire group at once, but certainly from the overhead shot it seemed Evenepoel shot off the side without cause other than going faster than he could hold the corner. From the front it looked like he was sliding on grass, but from above...more like gravel, dirt, and grass. He was MOVING when he hit. Scary.