• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Itzulia Basque Country 2024, April 1-6

Euskal Herriko Itzulia – Vuelta al País Vasco 2024​

Recorrido-Oficial-2024-1.jpg

1. ETAPA: IRUN – IRUN

01_00_IRUN-1-scaled.webp

2. ETAPA: IRUN – KANBO

02_00_KANBO-2-scaled.webp

Last 3 km

3. ETAPA: EZPELETA – ALTSASU

03_00_ALTSASU-2-scaled.webp

Lizarrusti (18.4 km to go)
Last 3 km

4. ETAPA: ETXARRI ARANATZ – LEGUTIO

04_00_LEGUTIO_Final-scaled.webp

Olaeta (40.4 km to go)
Untzilla (26.2 km to go)
Leintz Gatzaga (9.3 km to go)
Last 3 km

5. ETAPA: VITORIA-GASTEIZ – AMOREBIETA-ETXANO

05_00_AMOREBIETA-1-scaled.webp

Urkiola (88.1 km to go)
Muniketagaina (38.0 & 12.2 km to go)
Last 3 km

6. ETAPA: EIBAR – EIBAR

06_00_EIBAR-scaled.webp

Elkorrieta (124.3 km to go)
Azurki (112.9 km to go)
Gorla (92.8 km to go)
Krabelin (67.6 km to go)
Trabakua (45.2 km to go)
Izua (26.8 km to go)
Urkaregi (12.5 km to go)
Last 3 km

Official website
Start list
Roadbook

All stages are expected to finish 17:30.

The 3 km rule is in effect for stages 2-6. No stages are designated as expected to finish in a bunch sprint, so the 3 seconds rule won't be in effect.

Bonus seconds are awarded 10-6-4 at the finish, and 3-2-1 for each intermediate sprint

ARTICLE 9. STARTING ORDER FOR THE INDIVIDUAL TIME TRIAL (1/04/2024)

As the starting order for the individual time trial, the organisers set the reverse order of the team classification in the 2023 Itzulia. The first to present themselves will be those who have not classified in 2023. The team of the winner of the Itzulia 2023 will be the last to present it:

Starting Order:
1 Q36.5 PRO CYCLING TEAM,
2 BURGOS-BH,
3 CAJA RURAL-SEGUROS RGA,
4 ALPECIN-DECEUNINCK,
5 EQUIPO KERN PHARMA,
6 DECATHLON AG2R LA MONDIALE TEAM,
7 EUSKALTEL-EUSKADI,
8 INEOS GRENADIERS,
9 TEAM DSM-FIRMENICH POSTNL,
10 TOTALENERGIES,
11 ASTANA QAZAQSTAN TEAM,
12 INTERMARCHÉ - WANTY,
13 BAHRAIN VICTORIOUS,
14 UAE TEAM EMIRATES,
15 COFIDIS,
16 GROUPAMA-FDJ,
17 LIDL-TREK,
18 TEAM JAYCO ALULA,
19 ARKEA-B&B HOTELS,
20 EF EDUCATION - EASYPOST,
21 BORA - HANSGROHE,
22 MOVISTAR TEAM,
23 TEAM VISMA | LEASE A BIKE,
24 SOUDAL QUICK-STEP

EDIT: Full starting order for the ITT.

NB: It's the last day of the Specialized head-sock!

Last edited:
I think the situation may arise that Roglic and Evenepoel both beat Vingegaard in the ITT and then don't lose time until the final day, they may be perfect allies against a long range Vingegaard attack. And they wouldn't be the schmuck rouleurs that didn't chase Vingegaard in the final stage last year.

I can't state enough how bad this route is for Vingegaard against Roglic and Evenepoel. Even that murito finish of last year would likely be preferred against Evenepoel at least.

I think the situation may arise that Roglic and Evenepoel both beat Vingegaard in the ITT and then don't lose time until the final day, they may be perfect allies against a long range Vingegaard attack. And they wouldn't be the schmuck rouleurs that didn't chase Vingegaard in the final stage last year.

I can't state enough how bad this route is for Vingegaard against Roglic and Evenepoel. Even that murito finish of last year would likely be preferred against Evenepoel at least.
I expect him to attack on Krabelin and ride away with one of the two, and then go solo from Izua if he needs to.

As a Rog fan, I'm not sure I even like this route myself.

It's not Leintz Gatzaga for example that bothers me (if he has good legs, it's no problem), it's the fight for position going into these muritos which could be a problem.

Nah, Itzulia is a great route for Primoz by definition actually. Primoz in top form would probably be able to win this even against Skeletor (by bonus seconds perhaps). I think stage 6 will be absolute carnage. Gaps till this stage will be small and JV will want to absolutely destroy stage 6. Vingo going thermonuclear on Krabelin is on the cards and I don't think anybody will be able to follow.