• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 958 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Following the crash during Thursday’s stage 4 of Itzulia Basque Country, Remco Evenepoel was taken to hospital, for medical examination.
There it was revealed that the Belgian Champion suffered a fracture to his right collarbone and his right scapula.

Following the crash during Thursday’s stage 4 of Itzulia Basque Country, Remco Evenepoel was taken to hospital, for medical examination.
There it was revealed that the Belgian Champion suffered a fracture to his right collarbone and his right scapula.

What does that means for his recovery time?

6-12 weeks for a broken scapula

I was thinking about the scapula. It has longer recovery time. I think.
Yes, basically all flat bones take longer to heal due to differences in blood supply to them. BUT, this ofc doesn't mean he cannot train during all the recovery time. Not at all actually, will be back on a stationary bike soon. That said, the Tour is what? 13 weeks out? Close call because I guess some real road training would be good as well in any case. Not quite sure how reasonable it is to get kilometers in when the fracture is not fully healed.

Reactions: veganrob
Yes, basically all flat bones take longer to heal due to differences in blood supply to them. BUT, this ofc doesn't mean he cannot train during all the recovery time. Not at all actually, will be back on a stationary bike soon. That said, the Tour is what? 13 weeks out? Close call because I guess some real road training would be good as well in any case. Not quite sure how reasonable it is to get kilometers in when the fracture is not fully healed.
Tough and not ideal, it is what it is.

I broke my scapula and rib beneath and punctured lung a few years ago. They did not do surgery. I was on a stationary bike 4 days later but could put no pressure on that arm for several weeks. Like you said, hard to get good miles that way.

While this is most likely the case, Lefevere was asked just moments after hearing the news, and he was only basing that off the images of Evenepoel holding his arm in a 90° angle. This was before Evenepoel was even examined. I haven't seen an update since.
I mentioned on the Itzulia thread that the scapula could be his issue. Until it's stable and healed he's not going to be moving his arm much. Hope that's not the case; he doesn't deserve or need this nor do the others!