• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 956 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
That's like saying income and expenditures are one and the same. You spend more than you earn, it will result in a deficit.

In that sense, sure.
Well, yes, anyone can spend beyond their means. But usually we judge those who have high means and still go broke (Nick Cage, sportspeople, etc) more harshly than those who have low income and are destitute. It seems like you're doing the opposite, forgiving the skills-rich and reprimanding the skills-poor.

"Supposedly a better bike handler". :D:D:D

Good, good stuff.

And again. My comments about Remco have squat to do with Pidcock. They were about...wait for it...Remco. How I view his riding. How other people handle a bike has nothing to do with Remco's bike-handling as it limits his particular ambitions. Or potential. Or palmares. Why limit my obvious double-standard to Pidcock! MVDP crashed into a pole a couple months ago! Why don't I go after him? Or every other rider? If I dare say a mildly critical thing about Remco, we must defend!

But do bang on.
Where did i say your comments were about Pidcock? I was replying to someone who replied to the point somebody else made about Pidcock.
Where did i give you the impression that you can not be mildly critical? Where am i defending Evenepoel's bike handling? I was merely pointing out that bikehandling skills are not the reason people crash when riding solo. It is the inability to correctly judge their limits, wherever those limits may lie.

Do bang on. Or maybe not.
Best not.

Reactions: Andre and proffate
Where did i say your comments were about Pidcock? I was replying to someone who replied to the point somebody else made about Pidcock.
Where did i give you the impression that you can not be mildly critical? Where am i defending Evenepoel's bike handling? I was merely pointing out that bikehandling skills are not the reason people crash when riding solo. It is the inability to correctly judge their limits, wherever those limits may lie.

Best not.
This is not necessarily true, though… An integral part of being a good bike handler is among other things, to predict where one’s limits lie which helps limit unintentional risk. And here lies a difference between an exceptional bike handler (Pidcock) and mediocre one (for them purpose of this discussion, let’s just stay with Remco😁 ). While Pidcock knows he’s taking the risk which may end badly (and sometimes it does), Remco thinks he’s playing it safe and still it ends badly…

This is not necessarily true, though… An integral part of being a good bike handler is among other things, to predict where one’s limits lie which helps limit unintentional risk. And here lies a difference between an exceptional bike handler (Pidcock) and mediocre one (for them purpose of this discussion, let’s just stay with Remco😁 ). While Pidcock knows he’s taking the risk which may end badly (and sometimes it does), Remco thinks he’s playing it safe and still it ends badly…
In other words, Remco thinks he's better than he is.🤣

Where did i say your comments were about Pidcock?
"Red Flanders' point was that he crashes too often. Yet someone like Pidcock crashes just as often, while supposedly a better bike handler."

I would suggest if you don't want the reader to make tight associations in your points, you might not want to lump them together with phrases like "Yet". You A) mischaracterized the point of my post, and B) linked (again) Pidcock to my comments.

I was merely pointing out that bikehandling skills are not the reason people crash when riding solo. It is the inability to correctly judge their limits, wherever those limits may lie.

Best not.

"...bikehandling skills are not the reason people crash when riding solo".

Wut?

People don't crash themselves out when solo because of a lack of bike-handling skills? It happens in so many scenarios I don't know where to start listing them. Descending, cornering, riding on cobbles, gravel, other loose surfaces, riding in the wet...all can be solo or not. Not being able to judge your own limits isn't a bike-handling problem? Of course it's a bike handling problem, it's literally the defining component of a bike-handling problem.

If anyone wants to respond to my actual original post about Remco, I'm game to discuss it. The Pidcock thing was a Red Herring type of logical fallacy. Always causes threads to go haywire.

Last edited:
Reactions: ManicJack
Let's not forget that Pidcock crashed in recon meaning that he should have had little motivation to take any kind of risk. IOW he would have been leaving a larger margin for error, and he still overshot this larger margin. This doesn't support the idea that he knew exactly how much risk he was taking.

FWIW although I rate Pidcock at the top of road bike descenders in the pro peloton, he did take some unnecessary risks in the MSR descent such as crowding MVDP before passing him, which nearly came back to bite him when MVDP unexpectedly modified his line in a corner. I think this points to high skills but questionable judgment.

Well, yes, anyone can spend beyond their means. But usually we judge those who have high means and still go broke (Nick Cage, sportspeople, etc) more harshly than those who have low income and are destitute. It seems like you're doing the opposite, forgiving the skills-rich and reprimanding the skills-poor.
I judge different things differently, even if they have some analogous aspects. But in this specific case, I don’t think I made any judgement at all?

PS: I also don’t judge the rich harsher than the poor.

Reactions: proffate
Even though you were originally not talking about Pidcock, you have since made it clear you think he is a far superior bikehandler, so let's just go with that example. Given your "wut?" response, can you explain to me how Pidcock crashes as frequently, or even more frequently than Evenepoel when riding solo, since you are so amazed by my post? If crashing when riding solo is a direct result of bike handling skills and NOT (as i said) pushing your own limits, then Pidcock should crash far less often.

Nonsense. Evenepoel takes risks just as much as anybody else relative to his abilities when victory is concerned. There are no stories of Evenepoel constantly crashing when he is on training rides, which is when he would actually not take risks and plays it safe.

In other words, Remco thinks he's better than he is.🤣
Everybody who crashes by his own fault, thinks he's better than he is. Be it Van der Poel or Jay Vine.

Even though you were originally not talking about Pidcock, you have since made it clear you think he is a far superior bikehandler, so let's just go with that example. Given your "wut?" response, can you explain to me how Pidcock crashes as frequently, or even more frequently than Evenepoel when riding solo, since you are so amazed by my post? If crashing when riding solo is a direct result of bike handling skills and NOT (as i said) pushing your own limits, then Pidcock should crash far less often.
A Pidcock thread exists.

If you want to die on the Remco-is-a-better-bike-handler-than-Pidcock hill, I'll watch.

It's a worse take than even "...bike handling skills are not the reason people crash when riding solo".

A Pidcock thread exists.

If you want to die on the Remco-is-a-better-bike-handler-than-Pidcock hill, I'll watch.

It's a worse take than even "...bike handling skills are not the reason people crash when riding solo".
Sorry, can you please point out where i said Evenepoel is a better bikehandler than Pidcock? Because if anybody here is steering his arguments towards that conclusion, it's you. Furthermore i am not talking about Pidcock, i am using Pidcock as an example to prove you wrong.

But do bang on, right?

A Pidcock thread exists.

Sorry, i was assuming people on this forum would be able to read. Can you please point out where i said Evenepoel is a better bikehandler than Pidcock? Because if anybody here is steering his arguments towards that conclusion, it's you. Furthermore i am not talking about Pidcock, i am using Pidcock as an example to prove you wrong.

But do bang on, right?
I can help you both in this argument by saying Roglič is a better bike handler than Remco. Tell me if I'm being helpful. 🤷‍♂️

Sorry, can you please point out where i said Evenepoel is a better bikehandler than Pidcock? Because if anybody here is steering his arguments towards that conclusion, it's you. Furthermore i am not talking about Pidcock, i am using Pidcock as an example to prove you wrong.

But do bang on, right?
I suggest finding someone else with whom to play this game. But I’m always up for some genuine discussion should you be interested. Cheers.

Reactions: ManicJack
Nonsense. Evenepoel takes risks just as much as anybody else relative to his abilities when victory is concerned. There are no stories of Evenepoel constantly crashing when he is on training rides, which is when he would actually not take risks and plays it safe..
Ok but in this case, what would you say constitutes a good bike handler? Considering what was written here, it’s someone who can be fast without taking risks (and crashing). If that’s the criteria, then Remco is out as are many others. I would say being slow while crashing is bad bike handler and being fast while crashing or being reliable but slow(ish) is mediocre bike handler.

Ok but in this case, what would you say constitutes a good bike handler? Considering what was written here, it’s someone who can be fast without taking risks (and crashing). If that’s the criteria, then Remco is out as are many others. I would say being slow while crashing is bad bike handler and being fast while crashing or being reliable but slow(ish) is mediocre bike handler.
Why even engage in this nonsense?

The only point i was making, is that crashing or even crashing often, is not a metric to use when determining bike handling skills. Van der Poel crashes just as often as many other CX riders. There are even CX riders who crash less often than him. But the only better bike handler in the CX peloton, even crashes more often than him. Pidcock crashes quite frequentely, both on the road, CX as MTB. Just google Pidcock + crash. It's about the risks at your skill limits. That means a worse bikehandler who takes less risks, can crash less than an excellent bikehandler who rides like Evel Knievel.

As such, i never claimed that Evenepoel is a good or a bad bikehandler, or that he is better or worse than Pidcock.

The only point i was making, is that crashing or even crashing often, is not a metric to use when determining bike handling skills. Van der Poel crashes just as often as many other CX riders. There are even CX riders who crash less often than him. But the only better bike handler in the CX peloton, even crashes more often than him. Pidcock crashes quite frequentely, both on the road, CX as MTB. Just google Pidcock + crash. It's about the risks at your skill limits. That means a worse bikehandler who takes less risks, can crash less than an excellent bikehandler who rides like Evel Knievel.

As such, i never claimed that Evenepoel is a good or a bad bikehandler, or that he is better or worse than Pidcock.
I never claimed what you may have claimed or may not have claimed… I was merely trying to understand what makes a good bike handler according to you if crashing out is basically irrelevant because everyone does it when they go for it…

I don’t think crashing is irrelevant, though. It’s not just the frequency but the context in which the crash happened that is important. And Remco’s crash on Monday was ridiculous and points to bad bike handler.

Look at this one for instance. Are you gonna argue with me that Pidcock and MvDP crash out that way? They don’t.

Last edited:
A few days ago we were discussing if Evenepoel is more lean. Based on this image I would say he is more lean than in Paris-Nice, but nothing like he was at the Vuelta.