• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Amstel is Gold, Jerry, Gold! Men's Classic One-Day Race, April 14, 2024

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win Amstel Gold (Men) 2024?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
VDP will normally be the winner. Still in shape and a track that suits him. Curvy and with short but steep climbs. Pogacar is not participating.
Liege is different. Longer climbs. Maybe already past the peak of his condition...... and a Pogacar in topshape.
And this is the world of cycling we have now.

The guy with 6 races days in 5 weeks will be past his peak and the guy that hasn't raced in nearly a month will turn up in top shape. :confused_old:

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
It's really interesting to see how this plays out. I think the climber type should try to drop MvdP on Eyserbosweg and Keutenberg, because the last 2 climb are really suited to him. But then if it's a big group in the last lap, i don't think Mathieu can mark everyone, so it may also try to go solo himself from Cauberg or Geulhemmeberg

And this is the world of cycling we have now.

The guy with 6 races days in 5 weeks will be past his peak and the guy that hasn't raced in nearly a month will turn up in top shape. :confused_old:
That's how it works. Being at the highest level after a strong period of training (mostly at altitude). But the highest form can only be maintained for a few weeks. So, VDP still the highest form in the Amstel. Still good in Liege, but not at toplevel. In combination with the longer climbs, Pogacar will be the favorite.

It still doesn’t make sense to me that guys can be at top level the week after a max effort 6 hour race (even if only a couple hours are true max). Even for the freaks, there’s not many other strength or endurance sports that work that way.

Cycling causes little muscle damage or damage to joints and ligaments (quite a bit in Roubaix). Running a marathon of about two hours is much more grueling than a cycling race of 260 km.

It still doesn’t make sense to me that guys can be at top level the week after a max effort 6 hour race (even if only a couple hours are true max). Even for the freaks, there’s not many other strength or endurance sports that work that way.
Well, there are other variables, of course. Some natural and some not so much.
Furthermore, let's wait and assess their performance next weekend before making any judgments. It's not uncommon to see riders appear strong and win races convincingly, only to struggle and appear fatigued in subsequent races.