• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 280 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It was a good training today. Now he is going to spain this week, doing a last good preparation to Liege, and then on sunday he will wheelsuck Pogacar like Roglic does to his opponents until the finish line, and win the race in the sprint.

Trust the process.

Lol, after Flandres-Roubaix double MVP didn't need hard miles unlike your idol Froomey. He just didn't have the legs to respond but possibly the Spanish sun next week will make him stronger! (he's going there again) May be enough for the podium in Liege but not to beat Teddy Merckx!

Reactions: AmRacer
Lol, after Flandres-Roubaix double MVP didn't need hard miles unlike your idol Froomey. He just didn't have the legs to respond but possibly the Spanish sun next week will make him stronger! (he's going there again) May be enough for the podium in Liege but not to beat Teddy Merckx!
Yes, Pogacar is the favourite, but i expect a better perfomance by Van der poel on sunday comparing with the perfomance he did today.

P.s- i was being ironic and sarcastic with the "good training today" and "not even trying today".

Maybe he's cooked... or maybe he was just spinning his legs & riding Amstel like a preparation race for Liège next weekend.

Call me crazy but I wouldn't be surprised if we see a much stronger VdP versus Pog.

It's possible that MVP, after judging that he didn't have his best legs, decided not to kill himself for a small victory chance and save something for Liege, which is a monument after all. He will give all he has in Liege, that's for sure. I definitely see a possibility of him being strong enough to stay somewhat close to top3 candidates group and sprint for a podium spot at the finish. I don't see him matching Pogacar though.

We know he’s a perennial top 5 rider in Amstel and nothing we’ve seen this year would indicate that has suddenly changed. I don’t buy that PR was the straw that broke the camel’s back. He either took it easy or shut it down once he realized he missed the winning move. LBL will be telling.

Reactions: jono
Haven't got any sample but seems Roubaix-Amstel is a horrendous combination, even though there were some good results when they were the other way around in 2022.
It's probably too much off a difference in kind of intensity, kind of asked skillset. With Roubaix being rough and so physically demanding as well. Then you go to Amstel and there's all this short steep hills. No cobbles. Completely different strain.

Last edited:
Reactions: SHAD0W93
Maybe he's cooked... or maybe he was just spinning his legs & riding Amstel like a preparation race for Liège next weekend.

Call me crazy but I wouldn't be surprised if we see a much stronger VdP versus Pog.
Thats not crazy, because today he looked like a somewhat mediocre rider. Chances are he will do better in Liege, but chances of winning are even more slim now. Top-5 is prolly max

Reactions: SHAD0W93
We know he’s a perennial top 5 rider in Amstel and nothing we’ve seen this year would indicate that has suddenly changed. I don’t buy that PR was the straw that broke the camel’s back. He either took it easy or shut it down once he realized he missed the winning move. LBL will be telling.
I think it was both : he wasn’t in top shape and shut it down when the move went. That said he also didn’t have a useful team today. But hard to say, he sometimes plays his cards close to his vest.

The race will be vastly different to the one where he finished 5th(?) in the covid year. Things will have blown up long before Roche aux Faucons. And in all likelihood will have been decided on La Redoute.

Very intrigued, but also very pessimistic.

He will probably have had an easier day out the day before than was the case in 2020, though.

But yeah, I don't expect much, either. If the peloton would ride like in 2014, sure, he would have a chance but that isn't happening.

And he has to hope that Pogacar breaks his wrist if he is to beat him but a podium would still be impressive.