• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 279 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Whilst having totally different racing tactics to Contador, Gerrans probably had very similar philosophy.

"The second place is no good."

Hence he always raced as if he cared less about a podium then his group 1 riding companions, calling their bluff; "I don't care if those 5/10/20/50 riders in group 2 catch us, but I know that you, so keep working, thanks."

Gerrans was not as good as Matthews imo, but he has a better palmares.
Because his strategy would be perceived as inaction, people greatly underrated his bravery.

press today

is happy with all the wins so far but wants to keep this form for another 10 days until+LBL. Believes he can do well although he realizes there are better climbers there.

As for amstel specifically he says this race suits him as it's rvv without cobbles. Didn't look at his competitors/startlist yet when asked who his main competition is gonna be. Says he always goes from own strength and not focus on who else is there.

Because his strategy would be perceived as inaction, people greatly underrated his bravery.
I know it’s a word thing for me and understand what you meant. And agree that he should get more credit for knowing his strengths and riding accordingly
But I don’t think being ballsy/gutsy is the same as bravery. People can enjoy (or even get high) on the former but I define the later as doing something you don’t like or want to do.
Just a word thing.

Last edited:
In the case MVDP has a remote chance at one day fight for a Flèche Wallonne, he should really try it this year, tbh, even if I might have said the opposite a few weeks ago.

No better field than this year should be expected in the coming years. No Pog, Rog, Rem, Ala, if it's not this year, it may never be.

If he wins Amstel, just go for it, I'd say.

Reactions: Didinho
In the case MVDP has a remote chance at one day fight for a Flèche Wallonne, he should really try it this year, tbh, even if I might have said the opposite a few weeks ago.

No better field than this year should be expected in the coming years. No Pog, Rog, Rem, Ala, if it's not this year, it may never be.

If he wins Amstel, just go for it, I'd say.
He's looking at a bigger picture. Fleche is not a game changer for him, but Liege is.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Vdp goal is pretty clear he wanne win all monuments. I do believe this year is a feeler for him in regards to Liege if its deemed possible to win with or without Pog on the start.

Lombardia is like MSR is for Pog(tho pog is closer in MSR than i believe VdP would be in Lombardia), just dont suit him at all and hard to see him ever beeing close but nevertheless the guy is freakishly strong so wouldnt put anything past him

The problem for MvdP is modern Lombardia and Liege routes, in addition to Pogacar and to a lesser extent Evenepoel being around. 2014 meta and 2014 Liege/Lombardia routes I think he wins both, but that's always transfering people between eras which is pointless too
I agree just like MSR is for pog its far from ideal routes for Vdp. But with luck i wouldnt put it past him if evenpoel and pog was to not ride it a year and he prepared and trained for it then maby kinda thing.

But totally agree its hard to imagine but ive seen him on several ocasion say out loud what clearly is the goal atleast. Lombardia much harder for him for me, Liege without Pog I would been very eagerly to watch him vs Evenpoel for instance. To watch that unfold if not anything im not sure who i would put my hat on, logic says Evenpoel but I would want to see it kinda thing, this new Vdp level is hard to grasp too how strong he is i think.

It's nothing new tbh. The cobbles guys are always super overrated going into the Ardennes. Guys like him will struggle to follow the best climbers on the hardest climbs here on their best day but he has the cobbles season in his legs on top of it. This is simply a very hard race to win for him. Not impossible, he has already won it after all, but he can't just ride away here.

I don’t know—sandbagging a bit once he felt less than 100%?
Idont know but its sure hes not 100% a bit tired is only natural too for me atleast. E3 to Robauix with those performances too its only natural.

Also maby like you say he said okei if you wanne win you guys have to do something about it too - BUT he wouldnt have done that if he wasnt tired is my belief.

He needs to rest imo its almost 1 months since E3 hes also properly on the way down which again shouldnt be a surprised to anyone as insane as he is hes not above physical laws.

Reactions: stonerider
I don’t know—sandbagging a bit once he felt less than 100%?
he didnt get into trouble anywhere. Just didn't respond to attack on the inbetween part. Then had no teammates left.

Obviously he didn't feel super. And also didn't want to close for everyone else. I think we haven't seen the last of him for Liege tho. He said he will go training in Spain and really looks forward to Liege.

I think you're all a bit quick to conclude in a mostly tactical race where he simply did nothing, but didn't really get dropped anywhere on the climbs either.