• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 533 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Cycling has created a monster. I'm pretty sure we will look to Pogi as football fans look to Ronaldo/Messi. In the next 50 years, we won't see anything close to Pogi in cycling. It is just ridiculous how godly good he is. I have watched cycling for 25 years and I can say riders I truly loved like Gilbert, Bettini, Cav, Sagan, Armstrong, Cippo, Boonen, Contador, they all look kinda mediocre riders next to Pogacar.
Once in a lifetime talent

Cycling has created a monster. I'm pretty sure we will look to Pogi as football fans look to Ronaldo/Messi. In the next 50 years, we won't see anything close to Pogi in cycling. It is just ridiculous how godly good he is. I have watched cycling for 25 years and I can say riders I truly loved like Gilbert, Bettini, Cav, Sagan, Armstrong, Cippo, Boonen, Contador, they all look kinda mediocre riders next to Pogacar.
I think that logic indicates the opposite though. That those considered the best at the time start looking mediocre once the next generation comes along, especially when the sport is still growing. In pretty much every sport, today’s athletes are better than the best of the past for various reasons. It’s hard to see past Pogacar now but someone even freakier will come along.

Of sports with a significant team element I would say it is behind only Football for global reach.
Handball is more popular outside of Europe than cycling is.
Boomer is not an age but a mindset.

It just means that when someone a minute younger than me likes a thing I don't like, they're *** wrong and something's wrong with the kids these days.
There is something wrong with the kids these days, but that also goes for those who are older than I.

Based on what we saw in the cobbled stage in TdF 2022, I’m convinced Pog can win PR without blowing up his GT campaign too much. And he can definitely win MSR. If he ever manages to win those two and is equal-ish to MvdP in total monuments win count, I’m sure he will go down as the best classics rider of his generation. But first, let’s fry them bigger fish…

Based on what we saw in the cobbled stage in TdF 2022, I’m convinced Pog can win PR without blowing up his GT campaign too much. And he can definitely win MSR. If he ever manages to win those two and is equal-ish to MvdP in total monuments win count, I’m sure he will go down as the best classics rider of his generation. But first, let’s fry them bigger fish…
Poggi want to win everything.
Next year, MSR, PR, Vuelta and one world tour week GC he hasn't yet won.

I don't think cycling has a significant team element nor do I see how it's relevant to popularity nor does "global reach" have a meaningful definition.

Also, doubles tennis no doubt has more reach, whatever it is, than cycling. Even pickleball is probably ahead at this point.
Doubles tennis lol no elite male singles player ever competes in doubles outside of an occasional Davis Cup match. It is not contested by the best tennis players. It would be like comparing track endurance events to road racing in cycling.

Reactions: gregrowlerson
Cote de La Redoute KOM. 14 sec faster than Remco last year.
Don't remember wind conditions last year, but strong headwind today.
From Strava he went 10” faster than Remco on Redoute. But with the downhill and next climb combined Pogi was only 6” faster in a 9’40” effort. So pretty equal performance from the attack and the Cornemont afterwards in their winning move.

Next in line Joseph Blackmore 40” down, in his LBL win 10 days earlier.

A level above the rest in these races.

Nice, but predictable win at LBL. Bring on the Giro!

Wonder if we'll see less attacking from him at the Giro so he can recover better for the Tour. Or will he just blow the field apart as he (probably) doesn't need to worry about Vingo being there.
I hope he holds back. Even if Vingo can’t be at 90% for the TdF there is still Roglic who has unfinished business and would be eager for revenge.

Fos

Apr 11, 2024
Visit site
From Strava he went 10” faster than Remco on Redoute. But with the downhill and next climb combined Pogi was only 6” faster in a 9’40” effort. So pretty equal performance from the attack and the Cornemont afterwards in their winning move.

Next in line Joseph Blackmore 40” down, in his LBL win 10 days earlier.

A level above the rest in these races.
But headwind for longer time

Reactions: yaf