• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

¡Adiós!

Page 39 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The Eg man retires with heart problems and Uno-X messes up ...

https://cyclinguptodate.com/cycling...rt-issues-an-incredibly-frustrating-situation

Uno-X Pro Cycling Team's Niklas Eg has sadly retired from professional cycling aged just 28 due to heart issues, the Dane has revealed on Friday.

The worst part for Eg, is that these heart issues seemingly have unknown origins. "Of course, you always hope for a clear explanation in these kinds of cases, but I haven't really been able to get it yet, so this uncertainty doesn't make things any more fun. It was a difficult process," he explains.

"A great guy who has unfortunately been hit several times by accidents and long periods of injury. It just hasn't really worked out for Niklas at Uno-X, but there are no hard feelings. Niklas is all smiles and a really good heart. Thank you Niklas!” Uno-X wrote as a departing message to Eg back in August when it was announced he would be leaving the team, though it of course wasn't known at the time he'd also be leaving the peloton for good.
("a really good heart"? Oh dear ...)

The Eg man retires with heart problems and Uno-X messes up ...

https://cyclinguptodate.com/cycling...rt-issues-an-incredibly-frustrating-situation

Uno-X Pro Cycling Team's Niklas Eg has sadly retired from professional cycling aged just 28 due to heart issues, the Dane has revealed on Friday.

The worst part for Eg, is that these heart issues seemingly have unknown origins. "Of course, you always hope for a clear explanation in these kinds of cases, but I haven't really been able to get it yet, so this uncertainty doesn't make things any more fun. It was a difficult process," he explains.

"A great guy who has unfortunately been hit several times by accidents and long periods of injury. It just hasn't really worked out for Niklas at Uno-X, but there are no hard feelings. Niklas is all smiles and a really good heart. Thank you Niklas!” Uno-X wrote as a departing message to Eg back in August when it was announced he would be leaving the team, though it of course wasn't known at the time he'd also be leaving the peloton for good.
("a really good heart"? Oh dear ...)
Good catch.

But yeah, sad for him. Lots of similar stories the last few years.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Is there more info or was that it?

Here's some more:

Hofstede: "To be clear, this is not a difficult or unpleasant decision. I felt it was coming for a while. I was not completely fit lately and I gradually lost the pleasure in riding races. And that is the essence of my professional cycling life. Therefore, this decision feels good and I am especially grateful for the many great experiences I have had here. I am really stopping with a smile. And at the same time, I am also going to miss the whole Team Visma | Lease a Bike family. They were very beautiful and intense years together."

Here's some more:

Hofstede: "To be clear, this is not a difficult or unpleasant decision. I felt it was coming for a while. I was not completely fit lately and I gradually lost the pleasure in riding races. And that is the essence of my professional cycling life. Therefore, this decision feels good and I am especially grateful for the many great experiences I have had here. I am really stopping with a smile. And at the same time, I am also going to miss the whole Team Visma | Lease a Bike family. They were very beautiful and intense years together."
Looking at his procyclingstats profile, I just realized that since March the only race that he finished was the Benelux tour. Other than that always DNF/DNS.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
We really don't have to many domestic pros in the US, even fewer in Mexico that I have some familiarity with, I would suspect , January half done, there won't be any fanfare or official retirement announcements, but dozens of riders will stop because of the dramatic contraction in conti team scene. Leigon is the tip of the iceberg.. Signals all clearer now than ever, if you are a young talent, country is too big, calendar too sparse and scattered to get enough race days. Move to Europe or take up baseball. Grim..

You sure have high hopes of people!
Yeah :) - and it was the time when there was a feeling in the air, „Ah, he‘s young, British and was just signed by Sky. Question is not if, but when will he win his first monument, or his first Tour de France?“…

It was the time when every young British talent was considered to be the next Wiggins, the next Froome, the next Thomas. Everything seemed possible.

Often reminded me of the years at Telekom/T-Mobile, from 1998 onwards. Who would be the next Ullrich? Would Zabel become a good enough climber to win the TdF, in time, before retiring? Would there be a T-Mobile 1-2-3 podium in Paris, TdF GC wise? And so on.

T-Mobile is gone, Team Sky is gone… And Lawless now sadly retired. We‘re getting older, and at least the memories stay alive… ;)

Yeah :) - and it was the time when there was a feeling in the air, „Ah, he‘s young, British and was just signed by Sky. Question is not if, but when will he win his first monument, or his first Tour de France?“…

It was the time when every young British talent was considered to be the next Wiggins, the next Froome, the next Thomas. Everything seemed possible.

Often reminded me of the years at Telekom/T-Mobile, from 1998 onwards. Who would be the next Ullrich? Would Zabel become a good enough climber to win the TdF, in time, before retiring? Would there be a T-Mobile 1-2-3 podium in Paris, TdF GC wise? And so on.

T-Mobile is gone, Team Sky is gone… And Lawless now sadly retired. We‘re getting older, and at least the memories stay alive… ;)

Who has ever thought Zabel or Lawless would win the Tour...?

Coppi e Bartali 2018 stage 1b, 13k TTT

Chris Lawless working for Diego Rosa, finishes his job about 5k in and clings for dear life to the end of the TTT train, when his team ask him what the **** he is doing at the end he tells everyone that he's decided to 'go for the White Jersey', despite nobody telling him to.

Next stage, dropped early, loses 17 minutes, ends up 17th in the Youth Classification.

Pointlessly clinging to a TTT train for points or time in a minor classification that nobody told you to go for is forever known as 'doing a Lawless'.

• Love
Reactions: Ilmaestro99

Latest posts