• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2024-26 Emerging Riders CQ game

And so the time comes to get the ball rolling for the 11th edition of the CQ game that focuses on younger riders. Yet there are only 7 winners so far: "How can this be?" I metaphorically hear you ask. Because this game takes three years to unravel (and because I haven't yet done the inevitable and officially declare SafeBet as winner of the edition that is drawing to a close now)

In the current top 60 of the CQ annual rankings there are 14 men who, three years ago, were no more than promising youngsters, some of them greatly hyped, others still flying below the radar, and each of them with less than 200 CQ points in their short lives. And now they are household names (if your household has more than one person in it that follows cycling as closely as anyone who has read this far does), with highly noteworthy results gained in the intervening three seasons.

So the task here is to uncover their young equivalents: who are the up and coming riders that have not yet upped and reached the 200 point limit, but who will be among the top levels of the sport when we look back at the end of the 2026 season?

Your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to identify 18 male riders, each with a maximum of 199 CQ points throughout their careers to the end of 2023 (including points that would have been given but for a later cancellation of results due to doping, although I will probably have to rely on your honesty for that, because I can't think of any likely picks in that category). Send them to me by PM before the start of the Tour Down Under on 16th Jan* (11:10 South Australia, small hours of the morning in Europe, sometime in the evening in North America). Then all you have to do is wait with baited breath to see whether you have outscored everyone else three years later, with approximately monthly updates to maintain the tension (or make it very clear at an early date that you have failed miserably).

To give you a clue of the calibre of rider you are looking for, those who have made themselves ineligible, but not by too much, during 2023 include Alexandre Balmer, Nicholas Dalla Valle, Matthew Ricitello, Sean Flynn and Marco Brenner. Your riders will have to have a less impressive palmares to date than them.

After the teams in the Main annual CQ game have been revealed, I will post a list (EDIT:now post #6 below) of those that are chosen there and eligible here, which many like to use as an aid to their selections (and which carries no guarantee of success: a team based on the most popular picks in the 2021 main game that were eligible would have come in the bottom third of the edition now drawing to a close, and the best possible 18 in the game that is one year in has 7 riders that nobody picked in the 2023 main game). {now done: post #6 below this}

As ever, please just sent the 18 names, one on each line, no extraneous details, and in CQ format if possible.
And as ever, thanks for entering (if you do so), good luck to your riders, and enjoy the game.

* There will have been some southern hemisphere racing prior to that, and we might have a Gaviria-esque epiphany in one of them, but teams that have already been sent in before that can edit their squad if somebody suddenly seems unmissable based on their performance there. And it gives a bit of fun to some players who like to pick a team heavy in Gravel and Tar top ten finishers to take an early lead.

Last edited:
So, the 'cheat sheet': eligible riders that have been selected (most just once, some by at least half the entrants) in the Main 2024 CQ Game:
AALRUST Haakon Lunder
AGUIRRE SUBIJANA Yago
ALALI Abdul Jasim
ALUSTIZA GOENAGA Nicolas
ALVAREZ ARRIOLA Imanol
ALVAREZ RODRIGUEZ Rodrigo
AMARI Hamza
AMELLA Matteo
ANDERSEN Kasper
APARICIO MUÑOZ Mario
ARRIETA LIZARRAGA Igor
ARRIOLABENGOA BEITIA Julen
ASKEY Ben
AUGUST Andrew
AZNAR VIJUESCA Hugo
AZNAR VIJUESCA Unai
AZPARREN IRURZUN Enekoitz
BARTA Tomas
BASTIAENS Ayco
BELOKI FERNANDEZ Markel
BERASATEGI GARMENDIA Xabier
BERHE Welay Hagos
BEVORT Carl-Frederik
BINDER Moritz
BISIAUX Léo
BOCK Max
BODET Vincent
BOMBOI Davide
BOVEN Lars
BOYLE Evan
BRENNER Mauro
BRUTTOMESSO Alberto
BURATTI Nicolo
CHAMBERLAIN Oscar
CHANGIZI Sebastian Kolze
CHRISTEN Fabio
CHRISTEN Jan
CHRISTOPHERSEN Cedrik Bakke
CLYNHENS Toon
COLNAGHI Andrea
COLOMBO Filippo
CONFORTI Lorenzo
CRAPS Lars
CROCKETT Finn
CUADRADO RUIZ DE GAUNA Unai
CULVERWELL Sam
DE POOTER Dries
DE PRETTO Davide
DEJAEGHER Jasper
DEL GROSSO Tibor
DEL TORO ROMERO Isaac
DELGADO HIGUERUELO David
DEWEIRDT Siebe
DHONDT Robbe
EDDY Patrick
EDVARDSEN-FREDHEIM Stian
ESPARZA GARIN Unai
ETXEBERRIA ZAFRA Asier
FANCELLU Alessandro
FAURE PROST Alexy
FERNANDEZ GARCIA Samuel
FOLDAGER Anders
FRIGO Marco
GACHIGNARD Thomas
GALIMBERTI Lorenzo
GAUTHERAT Pierre
GAZZOLI Michele
GEERAERTS Ferre
GELDERS Gil
GEORGE Dylan
GIERYK Kacper
GOMEZ BECERRA German Dario
GRAAT Tijmen
GRISEL Matys
GRONDIN Donavan
GUARDEÑO ROMA Jaume
GUDNITZ Joshua Amos
HAJEK Alexander
HANSEN Marcus Sander
HARVEY Dean
HERZOG Emil
HOBBS Noah
HOLLYMAN Mason
HUBY Antoine
HUISING Menno
HULSMANS Senne
IRIBAR JAUREGI Unai
ISERBYT Eli
ISIDORE Noa
JALADEAU Artus
JOHNSTON Liam
JØRGENSEN Adam Holm
KELEMEN Petr
KESSLER Cole
KLEIN Tobias
KOKALJ Gasper
KOPECKY Tomas
KRIEGER Taj
KUDUS Milkias Gebremedhin
KULSET Johannes
KULSET Magnus
KUYPERS Gerben
KYFFIN Zeb
LAGNET Gari
LE BERRE Mathis
LE HUITOUZE Eddy
LECERF William Junior
LEONARD Michael
LEVY William Blume
LOOCKX Lander
LÜHRS Leslie
LÜHRS Luis-Joe
MACKELLAR Alastair
MADAN Ahmed
MAGNIER Paul
MAIRE Adrien
MARTINELLI Alessio
MILESI Lorenzo
MINTEGUI CLAVER Iker
MORGADO Antonio Tomas
MORO Manlio
MUHA Luka
MÜLLER Nico
NERURKAR Lukas
NIELSEN Sebastian
NIYONKURU Samuel
NORDHAGEN Jørgen
NØRTOFT Morten Aalling
OBLAK Domen
OLIVERO Simone
PAIGE Charles
PALENI Enzo
PALZER Anton
PARISINI Nicolo
PEDERSEN Henrik Breiner
PEDERSEN Nicklas Overgaard Amdi
PEDERSEN Rasmus Søjberg
PERSICO Davide
PESENTI Thomas
PICKERING Finlay
PICKRELL Riley
PINARELLO Alessandro
PLOWRIGHT Jensen
POLLEFLIET Gianluca
PONOMAR Andriy
PORTSMOUTH Tom
PRICE-PEJTERSEN Johan
QUICK Blake
RAFFERTY Darren
RAISBERG Nadav
RANGEL COSTA Vinicius
ROMEO ABAD Ivan
RONDEL Mathys
RONHAAR Pim
ROOTKIN-GRAY Jack
RUDYK Bartosz
SALBY Alexander
SENTJENS Sente
SERRANO RODRIGUEZ Javier
SIMMONS Colby
SÖDERQVIST Jakob
SORARRAIN AGIRREZABALA Gorka
STEDMAN Travis
STOCKWELL Oliver
STORM Theodor
SVRCEK Martin
TEUTENBERG Tim Torn
THIERRY Pierre
TOUMIRE Hugo
TOUPALIK Jakub
TRONCHON Bastien
TSARENKO Kyrylo
TURCONI Filippo
UMBA LOPEZ Abner Santiago
URIARTE BELZUNEGI Diego
VADIC Baptiste
VAN BELLE Loe
VAN DEN BROEK Frank
VAN DER LEE Jardi Christiaan
VAN NIEKERK Morne
VAN SINTMAARTENSDIJK Roel
VAN TRICHT Floris
VANDEN HEEDE Lars
VANDENABEELE Henri
VANGHELUWE Warre
VERGALLITO Luca
VILLA Giacomo
VINOKOUROV Nicolas
VUERINCKX Thomas
WEIS NIELSEN Daniel
WIDAR Jarno
WILKSCH Hannes
ZUBELDIA ELDUAIEN Unai

Of course, you don't have to pick from that list: I also have a list of 4000+ names that have scored in the last three years, have signed for a WT/PCT in the last three years, or been named in the Main Game in the last couple of years, (along with a warnings list, riders who have reached or exceeded 200 points in 2023) in a document here.

Bit of a silly question:
Would there be a rule against someone picking Withen for this round of the game, even though he'll only start scoring points from next year?
I believe there's no such rule but a far as I know he's not in the CQ databse yet and he's Danish, so his owners will have to double check how his name will be registered on CQ and tell @Armchair cyclist to correct it on his file in case it doesn't match.

I believe there's no such rule but a far as I know he's not in the CQ databse yet and he's Danish, so his owners will have to double check how his name will be registered on CQ and tell @Armchair cyclist to correct it on his file in case it doesn't match.
no rule against it at all. I have procedures to check if a new rider is on the CQ updates or if there is a name change, although having it explicitly pointed out is more efficient than relying on that mechanism.

To be a good sport, since I'm now attempting to host a similar game for the women's peloton, I think I will enter a team for this as well.

I obviously do have some Basque riders, that I rejected for the main game, on my radar, but I don't think it will be a purely Basque team. It could very well end up being mostly Spanish though.

So, the 'cheat sheet': eligible riders that have been selected (most just once, some by at least half the entrants) in the Main 2024 CQ Game:
AALRUST Haakon Lunder
AGUIRRE SUBIJANA Yago
ALALI Abdul Jasim
ALUSTIZA GOENAGA Nicolas
ALVAREZ ARRIOLA Imanol
ALVAREZ RODRIGUEZ Rodrigo
AMARI Hamza
AMELLA Matteo
ANDERSEN Kasper
APARICIO MUÑOZ Mario
ARRIETA LIZARRAGA Igor
ARRIOLABENGOA BEITIA Julen
ASKEY Ben
AUGUST Andrew
AZNAR VIJUESCA Hugo
AZNAR VIJUESCA Unai
AZPARREN IRURZUN Enekoitz
BARTA Tomas
BASTIAENS Ayco
BELOKI FERNANDEZ Markel
BERASATEGI GARMENDIA Xabier
BERHE Welay Hagos
BEVORT Carl-Frederik
BINDER Moritz
BISIAUX Léo
BOCK Max
BODET Vincent
BOMBOI Davide
BOVEN Lars
BOYLE Evan
BRENNER Mauro
BRUTTOMESSO Alberto
BURATTI Nicolo
CHAMBERLAIN Oscar
CHANGIZI Sebastian Kolze
CHRISTEN Fabio
CHRISTEN Jan
CHRISTOPHERSEN Cedrik Bakke
CLYNHENS Toon
COLNAGHI Andrea
COLOMBO Filippo
CONFORTI Lorenzo
CRAPS Lars
CROCKETT Finn
CUADRADO RUIZ DE GAUNA Unai
CULVERWELL Sam
DE POOTER Dries
DE PRETTO Davide
DEJAEGHER Jasper
DEL GROSSO Tibor
DEL TORO ROMERO Isaac
DELGADO HIGUERUELO David
DEWEIRDT Siebe
DHONDT Robbe
EDDY Patrick
EDVARDSEN-FREDHEIM Stian
ESPARZA GARIN Unai
ETXEBERRIA ZAFRA Asier
FANCELLU Alessandro
FAURE PROST Alexy
FERNANDEZ GARCIA Samuel
FOLDAGER Anders
FRIGO Marco
GACHIGNARD Thomas
GALIMBERTI Lorenzo
GAUTHERAT Pierre
GAZZOLI Michele
GEERAERTS Ferre
GELDERS Gil
GEORGE Dylan
GIERYK Kacper
GOMEZ BECERRA German Dario
GRAAT Tijmen
GRISEL Matys
GRONDIN Donavan
GUARDEÑO ROMA Jaume
GUDNITZ Joshua Amos
HAJEK Alexander
HANSEN Marcus Sander
HARVEY Dean
HERZOG Emil
HOBBS Noah
HOLLYMAN Mason
HUBY Antoine
HUISING Menno
HULSMANS Senne
IRIBAR JAUREGI Unai
ISERBYT Eli
ISIDORE Noa
JALADEAU Artus
JOHNSTON Liam
JØRGENSEN Adam Holm
KELEMEN Petr
KESSLER Cole
KLEIN Tobias
KOKALJ Gasper
KOPECKY Tomas
KRIEGER Taj
KUDUS Milkias Gebremedhin
KULSET Johannes
KULSET Magnus
KUYPERS Gerben
KYFFIN Zeb
LAGNET Gari
LE BERRE Mathis
LE HUITOUZE Eddy
LECERF William Junior
LEONARD Michael
LEVY William Blume
LOOCKX Lander
LÜHRS Leslie
LÜHRS Luis-Joe
MACKELLAR Alastair
MADAN Ahmed
MAGNIER Paul
MAIRE Adrien
MARTINELLI Alessio
MILESI Lorenzo
MINTEGUI CLAVER Iker
MORGADO Antonio Tomas
MORO Manlio
MUHA Luka
MÜLLER Nico
NERURKAR Lukas
NIELSEN Sebastian
NIYONKURU Samuel
NORDHAGEN Jørgen
NØRTOFT Morten Aalling
OBLAK Domen
OLIVERO Simone
PAIGE Charles
PALENI Enzo
PALZER Anton
PARISINI Nicolo
PEDERSEN Henrik Breiner
PEDERSEN Nicklas Overgaard Amdi
PEDERSEN Rasmus Søjberg
PERSICO Davide
PESENTI Thomas
PICKERING Finlay
PICKRELL Riley
PINARELLO Alessandro
PLOWRIGHT Jensen
POLLEFLIET Gianluca
PONOMAR Andriy
PORTSMOUTH Tom
PRICE-PEJTERSEN Johan
QUICK Blake
RAFFERTY Darren
RAISBERG Nadav
RANGEL COSTA Vinicius
ROMEO ABAD Ivan
RONDEL Mathys
RONHAAR Pim
ROOTKIN-GRAY Jack
RUDYK Bartosz
SALBY Alexander
SENTJENS Sente
SERRANO RODRIGUEZ Javier
SIMMONS Colby
SÖDERQVIST Jakob
SORARRAIN AGIRREZABALA Gorka
STEDMAN Travis
STOCKWELL Oliver
STORM Theodor
SVRCEK Martin
TEUTENBERG Tim Torn
THIERRY Pierre
TOUMIRE Hugo
TOUPALIK Jakub
TRONCHON Bastien
TSARENKO Kyrylo
TURCONI Filippo
UMBA LOPEZ Abner Santiago
URIARTE BELZUNEGI Diego
VADIC Baptiste
VAN BELLE Loe
VAN DEN BROEK Frank
VAN DER LEE Jardi Christiaan
VAN NIEKERK Morne
VAN SINTMAARTENSDIJK Roel
VAN TRICHT Floris
VANDEN HEEDE Lars
VANDENABEELE Henri
VANGHELUWE Warre
VERGALLITO Luca
VILLA Giacomo
VINOKOUROV Nicolas
VUERINCKX Thomas
WEIS NIELSEN Daniel
WIDAR Jarno
WILKSCH Hannes
ZUBELDIA ELDUAIEN Unai

Of course, you don't have to pick from that list: I also have a list of 4000+ names that have scored in the last three years, have signed for a WT/PCT in the last three years, or been named in the Main Game in the last couple of years, (along with a warnings list, riders who have reached or exceeded 200 points in 2023) in a document here.
Oh my. That file is full of names. But no way i can research all those names :). Maybe when i retire and cycling takes over my entire life!

Reactions: Blues in the bottle
Oh my. That file is full of names. But no way i can research all those names :). Maybe when i retire and cycling takes over my entire life!
Do you mean the 4000+ list? I really wouldn't bother: I maintain it so that I do catch names that are relevant to the game, but a huge proportion of them have come 5th in the Maltese national championship or some equivalent level of acheivement. (Obviously, not many have actually come 5th in that event, but...)

Hasn't that happened before that some players picked riders who were in the junior category?
Yep that's me.
I did it with Marco Brenner in the 2020-22 game. Was so satisfied with the results that Brenner resited in my team for 2021-23, 2022-24 & 2023-25 until - thank god - he surpassed the 200 cqr mak so I don't have to face my failure of judgement again :/

Reactions: Anderis
Sep 30, 2019
Visit site
Just sent my list. I am not sure at all to do as well as in the 2023-2025 Emerging Riders CQ Game.
This list was ready 2 weeks ago, but I had the nagging feeling that someone important had been forgotten. But no way to find him.....