• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2024 Giro d'Italia, Stage 1: Venaria Reale - Torino, 140 km (Saturday, May 4)

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I expect a win by the attackers, if UAE has any sense they don't do any work this stage. More than enough time for that. Give someone a 10min lead and relax. Pogacar can take some time during stage 2 and win that one, while still not having to wear the pink jersey for a while.
The breakaway winning stage 1 would be a novelty, I don‘t think all the other teams not in the breakaway will also just let the Maglia Rosa slide.

New EF jerseys for the Giro

GMmQ-9FXMAAB4ki

I’m surprised I haven’t heard folks talk about (or I’ve missed it) the possibility that Pogacar, in his intent to win the double, will start the Giro a bit undercooked and won’t dominate these early stages?
Perhaps that’s because we’ve never seen Pogacar be undercooked at the beginning of a race (we’ve only seen him be overcooked toward the end of the last 2 tours)?
Or is that the whole starting a GT “undercooked” concept isn’t valid in modern cycling, and only old-timers like Thomas still prepare that way?

Reactions: Sandisfan
I’m surprised I haven’t heard folks talk about (or I’ve missed it) the possibility that Pogacar, in his intent to win the double, will start the Giro a bit undercooked and won’t dominate these early stages?
Perhaps that’s because we’ve never seen Pogacar be undercooked at the beginning of a race (we’ve only seen him be overcooked toward the end of the last 2 tours)?
Or is that the whole starting a GT “undercooked” concept isn’t valid in modern cycling, and only old-timers like Thomas still prepare that way?
My take is Pogacar is never undercooked and was flying high 2 weeks ago so will be on good form. But I agree he might not go all in right away the way most seem to expect.

Did you not watch Liège?