• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2024 Giro d'Italia, Stage 1: Venaria Reale - Torino, 140 km (Saturday, May 4)

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Its difficult to imagine a plausible scenario where Pogačar doesn't win the stage. He should be able to drop at least most of the candidates and the few that could be able to hold his wheel should lose in the sprint.

Exceptions could be Alaphilippe, Martinez and Lutsenko but I actually expect Pogačar to solo away in the last climb though the gap shouldn't be big.
Already today!? 😲

Spare a thought for the people of Turin who brace themselves tonight for an infestation of military aged men. Nearly all unmarried, they are completely UNVETTED and have taken up any available accommodation in the city. Reports are coming in of a tented shanty town in the outskirts.

Look, I am not Sportist at all but I simply wasn't consulted. Nobody minds a SMALL number of cyclists but most of these are not genuine cyclists, more akin to soccer players. Dozens are known to have red cards in other jurisdictions but they tear them up on the journey here.

Police say they are aware of the situation and have brought Larry and the fella' with the moustache out of retirement. Both were given batons and told 'Be sensitive, in the name of feck.'

#itsthechildrenIcareabout #Turinisfull #Turinpeoplematter #rugbylivesmatter #someofmybestfriendsownabike

what's this. I'm serious I'm completely lost I have nothing to grasp on, nothing. that's the most difficult thing I ever read on a forum I don't even know where to start from cause it's like I was reading another language I never learnt

Well, the San Vito climb is almost identical to La Redoute. He was going alright there and if you read between the lines, they want to try to be in pink the whole race.

In fact, considering the profile of stage 1 of the Tour, he could do the same in July (not pink but you get the point).

That would be some season.
Yeah, he could just jump today and still attack tomorrow. Then, lean away the pink jersey mid week before finishing his opponents with the TT & Prati di Tivo.

That last climb is a replica of La Redoute, if he makes it the same effort he can take 20" already. He surely wants the pink jersey and a stage win and give away the jersey after the sprint stages.

To have a calm Giro: let someone stay in his wheel and give him the stage/pink, while taking time on a lot of others. My dark horse would be Bagioli in this scenario. Just a prediction for more excitement. But we all know Pogi is gonna Pogi today.

That last climb is a replica of La Redoute, if he makes it the same effort he can take 20" already. He surely wants the pink jersey and a stage win and give away the jersey after the sprint stages.
la Redoute is more selective because it comes after 220k, though. In a stage this short, and especially if the peloton is big, it's a different story.

Pogacar is still the favorite to win, of course, but it normally will be much harder to make a difference, and also depend a lot on positioning.

la Redoute is more selective because it comes after 220k, though. In a stage this short, and especially if the peloton is big, it's a different story.

Pogacar is still the favorite to win, of course, but it normally will be much harder to make a difference, and also depend a lot on positioning.
Yeah i thought about that but this climb he can go full gas, because no 35km solo left. Only a short descent. He will get seperation if he wants, yes it will be harder than in Liege but he's still a level above everyone. Was just referring at the 1,5km at 9,8% of Redoute, almost exact the same. The climb is hard enough to make a difference for him. But I'm hoping we only know the winner at the finish line, not on the climb.

Reactions: search
Lutsenko.
Like with Remco in the WCRR.
Only this time he holds on.

Cause Remco is better than everyone of course (including Merkx)

He's definitely better than Marx.

I think Alaphilippe will be there. I see Plapp with an outside chance as well, if they don't go too hard on the longer climbs.

He will probably try, but I have close to zero confidence in him being able to follow.

Don't agree with the whole "Pog will give away the pink jersey on Stage 1/Stage 2/Stage X" thing, no reason he and his team can't hold it comfortably the entire race imo
It's a lot more draining when you have to go for interviews, doping control etc after every stage. Offcourse he can hold the pink jersey for 21 days, but it's about getting better through these 3 weeks also for the Tour. Physically and mentally.

Reactions: Tricycle Rider