• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2024 National Championships Overview Thread

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Good winner, that's one silver fern we'll be seeing on the regular. Pithie up next, hopefully. I need this in the pro peloton.

GFGSRkMWIAAC3uA

I've tried to work out whether or not Sophie Maxwell is related to Samara, but I'm not sure yet.

Cadzow won the elite title by a healthy margin over Wyllie/Harvey.

Reactions: Sandisfan
The first cycling team named after a Santana single since the Brazilian Samba Pa Ti Racing semi-pro set-up of the late 1980s.

Edit: Damn, RhD didn't take the bait. I was hoping to persuade her that Jacques Pretzel Logic had been the DS.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if there have been teams sharing names of Santana records. Amigos, Freedom, Marathon, Milagro, Festival, Corazon, Lotus, Primavera, Possibilities, Stormy, Winning and Smooth all sound like distinct possibilities, and I would be surprised if there has never been a Veracruz cycling team.
But I would be very tempted to buy the jersey of Multi Dimensional Warrior CC, or Dance of the Rainbow Serpent Racing.

Last edited:
Ella Wylie wins the women's RR and under 23. She's a promising rider who can climb and was a required signing for Jayco, although I don't rate her as highly as others - Interested to see how much she improves this year.

I thought Ally Wollaston and Michaela Drummond would be riding the race, but it looks like none of the track riders went there after the Nations Cup in Adelaide last week.

The US Nationals have an asterisk because of their timing which means not enough of their best riders were at the start line. Think there were only 3 men and 3 women from the WT at the start line. The officials stuffed up by linking these results to the Olympics. One , only has to consider Taylor Knibbs in the ITT.

Last edited:
  • Wow
The US Nationals have an asterisk because of their timing which means not enough of their best riders were at the start line. Think there were only 3 men and 3 women from the WT at the start line. The officials stuffed up by linking these results to the Olympics. One , only has to consider Taylor Knibbs in the ITT.
Do you know why they do them in May now, as opposed to that window before the Tour when most Nats happen?

• Wow
They used to do them in September. Which was a good idea because they got a better field.

They they tried June before Le Tour...and who wants to go back and forth to the USA from Europe just before Le Tour? Not the best riders. It would be a big time sink.

So now they are trying May.

They used to do them in September. Which was a good idea because they got a better field.

They they tried June before Le Tour...and who wants to go back and forth to the USA from Europe just before Le Tour? Not the best riders. It would be a big time sink.

So now they are trying May.
Yeah, I figured the cross -Atlantic travel at that time of year is an Issue. But not every US WT rider is riding the Tour, and by having it in May it obviously eliminates any riders doing the Giro. Not an fits-all solution I guess.

You need to be aware that the ITT riders must compete in the RR. They can't only do the ITT. Having equal numbers of men and women competing has caused some selection headaches for both sexes.

In this particular case, the US men have actually gained an RR spot compared to the last two Olympics while the women have lost two spots. At the moment, I can't see why they wouldn't pick Sheffield as one of the three riders for the road race, but I'm of course not the one making the selections.

In this particular case, the US men have actually gained an RR spot compared to the last two Olympics while the women have lost two spots. At the moment, I can't see why they wouldn't pick Sheffield as one of the three riders for the road race, but I'm of course not the one making the selections.

The US men gained spots because of their road performances in the last Olympic cycle. I wouldn't take Sheffield because he crashes too much. Anyway, the Olympics will be a crap shoot with the reduced peleton. There will no place for Domestiques in this event.

• Wow