• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

77th Tour de Romandie (2.UWT) // 23rd - 28th of April 2024

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

yes or no

• Total voters
Okay, prize for coolest way of presenting your team goes to Tudor:

438802952_18261447229215350_2894509362847352274_n.jpg
Had they left Wirtgen at home, they could have formed "roadie".

Bernal says he is already pushing better numbers than before his crash, during his Giro and Tour wins. But competition just got better in the meantime as well.
I have heard him saying that as well earlier this year. Same thing with Valgren who was quite a good classics rider around 2018 and won a super impressive Amstel that year, but now is just a random domestique. Quite similar period, although Bernal's crash obviously was worse, but its very much a thing I believe to be true.

Overall level is higher, and then you have a rider like Pogacar who is just levels above that on top. Very hard to compete comparing that to beating Geraint Thomas, who we kinda laugh about right now, but is saying the exact same thing - higher numbers. And I tend to actually believe him as well when you look at the one race he's riding a year on a high level.

I have heard him saying that as well earlier this year. Same thing with Valgren who was quite a good classics rider around 2018 and won a super impressive Amstel that year, but now is just a random domestique.
To be fair, every rider ever who's declined has claimed he's pushing the best numbers of his career at some point after said decline. And, as Froome has proven more conclusively than anyone else, it's usually bulls***.

To be fair, every rider ever who's declined has claimed he's pushing the best numbers of his career at some point after said decline. And, as Froome has proven more conclusively than anyone else, it's usually bulls***.
Well, we obviously do not believe Froome for a second, but riders like Bernal who actually has managed to get back to a very good level is believeable to me considering how he won in 2019. He wasn't dominating, and the level was overall quite low for a TdF-win IMO.

Because none of the really big guys is here, this race could really offer interesting racing.

The profiles could be a bit more inspiring, but apart from stage 5 every stage could offer GC action.
Depending on the overall classification stage 4 could really get interesting, as climbers need to get time back after the two TT and the last climb is perhaps not difficult enough to make hugh differences.

Reactions: Sandisfan
All indicators show that the peloton is getting stronger year after year in this era. I find it quite plausible for Bernal to push more watts now than in 2019.

All indicators show that the peloton is getting stronger year after year in this era. I find it quite plausible for Bernal to push more watts now than in 2019.
I'm not saying he's wrong by definition, I'm saying I'd take his words with a grain of salt. Let's also not forget that pre-crash Bernal was 3rd in the epic 2021 Strade, behind Van der Poel and Alaphilippe but well ahead of Van Aert and Pogacar.

I'm not saying he's wrong by definition, I'm saying I'd take his words with a grain of salt. Let's also not forget that pre-crash Bernal was 3rd in the epic 2021 Strade, behind Van der Poel and Alaphilippe but well ahead of Van Aert and Pogacar.
A famous escape artists said a few years ago that even though he pushed higher watts than before, he couldn't get away from the peloton .

I have heard him saying that as well earlier this year. Same thing with Valgren who was quite a good classics rider around 2018 and won a super impressive Amstel that year, but now is just a random domestique. Quite similar period, although Bernal's crash obviously was worse, but its very much a thing I believe to be true.

Overall level is higher, and then you have a rider like Pogacar who is just levels above that on top. Very hard to compete comparing that to beating Geraint Thomas, who we kinda laugh about right now, but is saying the exact same thing - higher numbers. And I tend to actually believe him as well when you look at the one race he's riding a year on a high level.
I’m curious if any healthy riders would say “I’m pushing worse numbers.”😀

Reactions: Scarponi
Well, we obviously do not believe Froome for a second, but riders like Bernal who actually has managed to get back to a very good level is believeable to me considering how he won in 2019. He wasn't dominating, and the level was overall quite low for a TdF-win IMO.
I will watch because I’m glad to have some racing between LBL and the Giro, which always feels like a long time to wait. I know there’s always a gap leading up to the Tour, but in that case we have the results from the Dauphine, Suisse, all of the Nats, and occassionaly a drug bust to chew over before Le Grand Boucle gets underway.

I’m curious if any healthy riders would say “I’m pushing worse numbers.”😀
If they do push lower numbers, they usually just stay quiet. In the case of especially Bernal, I think thats the case watching him ride lately, and when Geraint Thomas is finally riding up to his standards (Tour 2022, Giro 2023) I think chances are he's not lying either. Valgren, well, his big wins were more tactical than anything, so I could also see that be true potentially.

If they do push lower numbers, they usually just stay quiet. In the case of especially Bernal, I think thats the case watching him ride lately, and when Geraint Thomas is finally riding up to his standards (Tour 2022, Giro 2023) I think chances are he's not lying either. Valgren, well, his big wins were more tactical than anything, so I could also see that be true potentially.
Oh, I don’t doubt riders are being truthful about their data—the fact that physiologic performance levels are higher is borne out in all the climbing times and race time records. I’m just saying it no longer means much to someone following the sport if almost all riders are saying it. If we’re not seeing the “numbers” themselves, after a while it doesn’t sound much different than the old standby “the sensations are good.”