• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Alexey Lutsenko discussion thread

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
View: https://x.com/cirogazzetta/status/1784624481803129263

I' m happy to see him at the start of the Giro since he is basically the only rider that could gain a significant amount of UCI points for Astana.
Hopefully he will give us some fine racing, as is tradition for kazakhs legends.

I actually think they have a decent squad for the Giro. Velasco and Scaroni are good stage hunters, Fortunato has also been riding decently this year. Their sprinting contingent is rather lacklustre, though.

I didn't see the race, but what exactly did he do on Prati di Tivo? Looking at just the results, i'm not seeing some earthshattering indication that he's going to podium the Giro. He beat Ulissi by 2 seconds, and a recovering Yates, who still couldn't follow some 20 guys in Romandie, also lost 2 seconds. Guys like Voisard, Sivakov who also couldn't follow in Romandie, and Bennett within half a minute. What context am i missing?

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
I didn't see the race, but what exactly did he do on Prati di Tivo? Looking at just the results, i'm not seeing some earthshattering indication that he's going to podium the Giro. He beat Ulissi by 2 seconds, and a recovering Yates, who still couldn't follow some 20 guys in Romandie, also lost 2 seconds. Guys like Voisard, Sivakov who also couldn't follow in Romandie, and Bennett within half a minute. What context am i missing?
Downer

He climbed faster than Pogačar' s time of 2021 on Prati di Tivo. Of course Logic would make me say that the peloton has got faster over these years, but the heart says that we will witness Lutsenko in Vinokourov like form

View: https://x.com/ammattipyoraily/status/1778420796592906278

Why not?

I don't think it's outrageous to suggest that at his best he is close to the level of Ben O'Connor, like on Prati di Tivo.
Lutsenko looks like a world beater about 25% of the time and distinctly ordinary the rest. He's lethal on midmountain, rolling stages. But I don't think he can climb at the highest level. He's too heavy.

One thing for sure: when he retires, Astana folds. I don't care how good baby Vino is.

Would love to see him top 5, but i fear he cant sustian the peak as he was going to ride the tdf in the first place.

But would love for him to suprise me, a good sign was that he actually got top 10 in LBL. He usually is nowhere in the monuments
It also comes down to why he DNF Romandie, since half the team got sick/left the race too. Did they just want to have him rest for the Giro, was he just tired after LBL, or did he actually get sick?

Reactions: Lui98
If Lutsenko has last year's shape, when he not only won in Sicily but was also strong at the Amstel Gold Race, then a podium spot at the 2024 Giro d'Italia sounds possible given the route and field. His withdrawal from the Tour de Romandie however puts a huge question mark behind his current shape.

Astana wouldn't have fielded him for the 2024 Giro d'Italia if they didn't see the chance for Lutsenko to either win some hilly stages or get a top 5 / top 3 on the final general classification. This is probably among the best line-ups Astana can field for a Grand Tour these days.

So let's wait and see whether we see him constantly on the attack or hanging on in the mountains the next weeks. I'm looking forward to it!