• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Best cyclocross tires

What is your preferred choice of CX tire in the following categories:
  1. Dry hard packed
  2. Wet muddy
  3. Wet grass
  4. Sand (mainly)
  5. Mixed: dry/wet, grass, sand, dirt

Personal choice
1 & 4: Challenge Dune - low rolling resistance, supple and not squirmy at lower PSIs, enough corner traction and still some grip in the flat section.
2: Challenge Limus, not the most supple but exceptional traction (haven't tried the Dugast Ernst)
3: Dugast Rhino, excellent grip without too big compromise in roll, highly supple
5: Dugast Typhoon, very supple, good corner and straight traction, good roll (don't like the Grifos less supple)

Has anyone tried Challenge Koksijde, Dugast Pipisquallo, Dugast Smallbird, Challenge Baby Limus and/or Vittoria Terreno (dry-mixed-wet)?

Reactions: lemon cheese cake
What is your preferred choice of CX tire in the following categories:
  1. Dry hard packed
  2. Wet muddy
  3. Wet grass
  4. Sand (mainly)
  5. Mixed: dry/wet, grass, sand, dirt
Personal choice
1 & 4: Challenge Dune - low rolling resistance, supple and not squirmy at lower PSIs, enough corner traction and still some grip in the flat section.
2: Challenge Limus, not the most supple but exceptional traction (haven't tried the Dugast Ernst)
3: Dugast Rhino, excellent grip without too big compromise in roll, highly supple
5: Dugast Typhoon, very supple, good corner and straight traction, good roll (don't like the Grifos less supple)

Has anyone tried Challenge Koksijde, Dugast Pipisquallo, Dugast Smallbird, Challenge Baby Limus and/or Vittoria Terreno (dry-mixed-wet)?
I've used mostly Challenge Grifo and Limus as they can cope with most conditions and are great tyres. Many would probably say that Dugast are the top tyres for cross with many BeNe pros using them. FMB is also quite popular for Tubs. Maybe due to price or availability, more riders in the UK seem to favour Challenge with a spattering of Dugast/FMB and other brands. This year i've used Vittoria Terreno Dry's, which aren't your standard file treads, and seem to offer more grip from what others have said. Likewise, a few friends have used the Terreno Mix during the season, with a couple using it in deep mud or 3 Peaks and have said its a great tyre. I haven't tried other brands really, but a couple of my bikes have come with Clement MXP (Now Donelly). As an intermediate style tread, I didn't feel like it was gripping in the corners or was very fast in the straights, so changed back to Challenge.