• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Best Olympics 2000-2008

Best Olympics 2000-2008

• They will all equal.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
What do you think was the best Oylmpics between 2000-2008.
RR Ullrich Gold, Vino Silver, Kloden Bronze
TT Ekimov Gold, Ullrich Sliver, Armstrong Bronze

RR Bettini Gold, Paulinho Sliver, A. Merckx Bronze
TT Hamilton Gold, Ekimov Silver, Julich Bronze

RR Sanchez Gold, Canc Silver, Kolobnev Bronze
TT Canc Gold, Larsson Silver, Levi Bronze

2004 for me but i am biased here although bettini destroying the field with with 2 laps to go on a the toughest climb with only the unknown youngster paulinho being able to stay in his wheel then they work together till the last lap where bettini tries to drop paulinho on the last climb and fails so he leaves it for the sprint where paulinho tries to surprise him but doesn't stand a chance, all this with the peloton always only a few seconds behind.

sad to remember paulinho's ride that day and see that he decided to become a anonymous domestique instead of possibly a great hilly classics guy

I would go for 2008 if only because riders laid down the gauntlet more and there were riders like Evans and Samu GT contenders in the mix. I was too young for the Olympics in Sydney and other than Bettini no one else in the top 3 have gone on to do so well. Tyler Hamilton also screwed it up by being positive.

ingsve said:
Why not 1996? That was the first year professional cyclists were allowed to race in the olympics so it seems strange to leave out the 4th one when there has only been 4 of them with pros.

I did not inculde 96 because I wanted to keep it more towards 2000 on even though you are right in saying I should have included 96 than if it is your favorite than it is fine saying it in the comments.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
In 2000 Channel 7 switched to basketball just as Ullrich went up the road on the final lap. Fantastic attack on the Bronte hill, big ringed it all the way up. Vino jumped across, then Klodi. Armstrong was caught on the back of the main bunch. In fact it was generally confusing tactics by the US team. And the italians. The 3 of them stayed away to the end. Not that you were able to watch any of the last 10km on Australian TV. But apparently there was some agreement between the 3 telekom riders over the finishing order after Klodi and Big Jan started to work Vino over.
2000 was probably my favourite because I was there

SHAD0W93 said:
I did not inculde 96 because I wanted to keep it more towards 2000 on even though you are right in saying I should have included 96 than if it is your favorite than it is fine saying it in the comments.

No, it's not my favourite. I just though that 2000 was such an arbitrary cut off point when a more logical cut off point would have been 1996 when pros first were allowed in.

Garry Allen said:
In 2000 Channel 7 switched to basketball just as Ullrich went up the road on the final lap. Fantastic attack on the Bronte hill, big ringed it all the way up. Vino jumped across, then Klodi. Armstrong was caught on the back of the main bunch. In fact it was generally confusing tactics by the US team. And the italians. The 3 of them stayed away to the end. Not that you were able to watch any of the last 10km on Australian TV. But apparently there was some agreement between the 3 telekom riders over the finishing order after Klodi and Big Jan started to work Vino over.
2000 was probably my favourite because I was there

I want to watch it but I can't find any videos anywhere :(. I kinda wish Klodi got second and Vino got third but what ever.

jens_attacks said:
2000 because my heroes are there on the podium.
ulle going 50 km/h on a hill drops everybody,klodi makes it on his wheel.and then comes vino who was in pretty much every attack all day.then telekom ttt to the finish.bartoli and bettini are no match,the peloton loses something like 2 minutes behind 3 machines.awesome.

you can find it here by the way:
http://www.cyclingtorrents.nl/details.php?id=5696

I like this one the most too (I didn't vote) Kinda wish Klodi got a upgrade to silver and Ulle got gold in TT.

Than I forgot to say thanks for the vid.