• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Carlos Rodriguez- The Next Great Rodriguez Discussion Thread

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

How good will Carlos Rodriguez be?

• A wasted talent

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Small Race Winner

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Consistent Climber

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • Fighting for GT breakaway wins

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • WT Stage Race Winner

Votes: 17 43.6%
  • GT Winner

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Better than Pogacar

Votes: 4 10.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The small attack on the descent was quite clever, UAE immediately picked the pace up and all of a sudden Hindley was in trouble. Now Yates is the biggest competition for 3rd though, and he's looking stronger than ever in my book.
All of a sudden? Hindley has been suffering from the crash on stage 14. Not sure Rodriguez would be ahead if not for that crash?

Ineos don't sound too confident about his TT

“Carlos has been restricted because he broke his collarbone in Strade Bianche and it was quite a bad break and took him a bit longer,” Ellingworth said.

“With a collarbone you can’t do the work with a TT bike. Then he got knocked off by a car and damaged his knee and that took longer than he wanted. So, he’s been quite compromised in his preparation.

“If you think about Carlos, he’s had some good time trials, he’s had some not so good time trials,” Ellingworth continued.

“But he’s not thinking about the podium though. He’s like, ‘Yeah okay, it would be nice, but I’m not thinking God, I’m going to chase the podium’ if you like. He’s just sticking to his plan, which is doing the best he can every day.”

Yates improved his position in the general classification, after riding away from Pogacar on Mont Blanc, while Hindley felt the injuries he sustained in a mass crash on stage 14. Rodriguez won on Saturday and so was able to eat into the Australian’s GC margin and move above him.

“My suspicion would be Adam will perhaps time trial a bit better than Carlos I would think, off history, so we shall see,” Ellingworth predicted.

• Wow
Reactions: SHAD0W93
I second that!! I also think that preloaded excuses is pretty standard.
Most guys in TT position do a bunch of things but one that is looking typical is elbows, forearms cradled in some type of device that brings arms together, giving kind of a downhill ski racer tuck look, w shifting done from the end of the handlebars. the obvious leverage points of two hands gripping on hoods of shifting \ brake hoods is used less..so you don't feel as secure and balanced on the bike. You see pros being discouraged from resting their forearms on the top of regular handlebars, some guys go so deep that they are almost steering the bike w their elbows, look aero and comfortable, and as important as anything can generate power while in the saddle and don't rely so much on pulling from upper body to generate the balance and power.. while some others try to get the aerobars position without the aerobars ..have no balance or control and crash. I have seen multiple pro training videos, few from this season from Mallorca were guys are out on pretty long road rides on TT bike just to get comfortable and dial in the position on the TT bike. I am super excited to see the shake up in the top10, if any, but tons of pressure.

Reactions: Barnacle Bill
Jun 20, 2023
Visit site
Pity because Carlos has ridden some good TTs (including the Vuelta last season). Hope the team is just trying to manage expectations. Particularly against the folks below him other than the Yateses, I would generally expect Rodriguez to take time from them. And who can tell what sort of ITT Simon Yates will be on from one race to the next?

Well, he won't get onto the podium now unless Yates has a stinker. Today wasn't great at all. He's tired, rightfully so. Had his moment on Joux Plane and has been consistent throughout apart from today, but still manageable.

I don't think its a rider who has the top level at his peak to duel mutants like these two, but he can definitely be an extremely consistent GT threat winning a Vuelta and/or Giro, and definitely also aTour under the right circumstances though. And not the extremely beneficial circumstances the OG Carlito won it under in 2008!

Still, lets think about the fact that his preparation wasn't all that great.

I still wonder if he's thinking about La Vuelta. He's spanish after all and has had a light schedule due to the injuries.

I know he had a crash in the 2022 Vuelta but this is two GT's where he has tailed off in the thrid week.
yeah, he is still young though. But yes right now he looks more likely to shine in the Giro/Vuelta category (New Purito). But that is super hard judgement for such a young rider.

Edit: new Purito was meant as in a rider doing well in both Giro and Vuelta for multiple years, not that I figured Carlito would transform into a small punchy climber that looses 7 mins on TTs.

Last edited:
Reactions: SHAD0W93
yeah, he is still young though. But yes right now he looks more likely to shine in the Giro/Vuelta category (New Purito). But that is super hard judgement for such a young rider.
He's more of a diesel climber like Carlos Sastre with a better TT under normal circumstances. At this point we cannot know the impact of his suboptimal preparation due to his injury at Strede Bianche and training accident in April in his 3rd week decline.

In another news, Ineos may be willing to buy him back from Movistar. It looks like Acquadro is repeating the Amador case.

And Landa adds fuel to the fire saying Ineos will take care of him better than Movistar. And that, coming from him, carries some authority.

He's more of a diesel climber like Carlos Sastre with a better TT under normal circumstances. At this point we cannot know the impact of his suboptimal preparation due to his injury at Strede Bianche and training accident in April in his 3rd week decline.

In another news, Ineos may be willing to buy him back from Movistar. It looks like Acquadro is repeating the Amador case.

And Landa adds fuel to the fire saying Ineos will take care of him better than Movistar. And that, coming from him, carries some authority.
yeah, more purito comparison in terms of being strong contender for Giro+Vuelta, than punchyness(and then joking reference to thread name).

As I said, or tried to say, it would be super hard to judge him now at that age.

whoa INEOS Buying their own rider!
some 4d chess going on there.

Landa probably right.

Landa just says that Ineos has more resources, which everyone knows anyhow. He also says the either team could be a good situation for Rodriguez. I don't think that qualifies as fuel for the fire.