• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Choosing a Religion

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A

Anonymous

Hugh Januss said:
Because otherwise he wouldn't be able to imagine he was making some sort of *** point.:D

I took him off ignore just to read that post...what a mistake.

atheist_cat.jpg

Thoughtforfood said:
I don't "need" religion. I sincerely believe that the most logical conclusion, looking at the universe and life, is that there is a God. I am a Christian, but not like most picture. I actually don't believe that God put those dinosaur bones in the ground to test my faith. I don't believe that anyone is the judge of the another's life but God. I believe that prayer should be taught in church and not school. I believe God should be a practical part of someone's life and not some guy that keeps a list of sins so that he can justify you burning in hell for eternity. I believe that to think anyone is going to hell is to assume a deity of self that clearly does not exist. I believe the surest sign of Gods love for us is the absolute free will we have, and I believe free will to be absolute in the strictest sense of the word.

But I don't "need" religion. It is just what happened. I was an atheist at 16. I have personally experienced a life in which God has clearly taken part. I can no more deny what has happened to me as I can deny that I have feet, but that is my life. My true struggle is that many days I live an agnostic existence though I am a believer. Faith is a difficult thing, and anyone who says differently isn't looking at the world hard enough.

Now, I respect your beliefs or lack thereof. All I ask is that you not do what many religious people do and put anyone who differs from you in the same basket.

That is a very honest viewpoint and I think the juxtaposition of Faith and say an analytical and ethical appraisal of morals/mores without Religion is one that many will struggle with and few will convince all of their "rightness".

I am happy to allow others their beliefs without making a pr*ck of myself by dissing their religious beliefs. I take the viewpoint of " what is true for you is true for you".

My wife and all four kids are committed Christians. I support them, even though I am an agnostic and am yet to have an epiphany to convince me of an all-seeing God looking over me. They, and most Christians friends I meet walk their talk pretty well, in my experiences.

I tend to think the world would be worse off without some religion in our lives. Most premises of religions court similar views of doing to others etc. I agree that schools are a poor vehicle for religious instruction.

Riding a bike can be a religious experience IMHO.