• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 830 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
He's watching Djokovic play right now. Maybe getting some inspiration as to how to be competitive at an advanced age.

In a sport, might I add.
I know. And Djokovic lost. All hope is now out for Froome.
At least Novak was competitive at his advanced age in his match. Froome can always take something from that to improve his performance since I don’t even think 2034’s technology and diet would help him currently.

At least Novak was competitive at his advanced age in his match. Froome can always take something from that to improve his performance since I don’t even think 2034’s technology and diet would help him currently.

Froome was 3rd on Alpe d'Huez when he was at the age of current Djokovic. Who was joint 3rd in Monte Carlo. Future's looking bleak for Djoko.

He could of course also have attended the match in an attempt to woo Zendaya who was also there.

Reactions: Sandisfan
In 2013 he needed Porte to get him a gel or something, while losing 1 minute to Quintana and Purito on AdH. In the next mountain stage he lost 30 more seconds. And no, he didn't ride "conservatively" he gave it a go and he was weaker.

In 2015 Froome nearly lost the Tour to Quintana, losing 2 minutes again

Yeah, Froome was very strong in the first MTF, destroying the peloton and gaining a minute+ on Quintana, but this version of Vingegaard doesn't bleed a minute on anybody in the last 15 (maybe even more) years.
I dont consider Froome a pure climber as Purito or Quintana..dont remember the weather those days, but pf cpure that day Vingegard wpuld have been quite stronger. But Froome has showed lot of time be very good for last week, I think that is not the problem, Froome won the ITT just the day before to Alp Dhuez.
that end of le Tour he ws weaker at the mountaisn to quintana and Purito, but if you consider taht you have to say he was muchbettter to Contador, so people who defend Contador was better for three weeks than Froome lose arguments.
I think Vingegard is better, good in all weather condition and dont need the team so much as Froome needed. But they are quite similar kind of riders and I think best Froome is close to him. Respect Popgacar, just in the long climb he could have beated him..about ITT I am not sure...and I amd dont know is that was enough to beat him. Froome had his weak points in some kind of stages and I think Pogacar would have take advantage on that.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Only with his Sky-train.
You mean like the train that could win every grand tour in a season, and get three riders on the podium in one of them?

It's really not super relevant, you still have to be the best rider (unless you are Sepp Kuss or Bradley Wiggins). If Valverde, Quintana, Nibali or Contador were stronger than Froome, they would have dropped him once the last Sky domestique was used up, most of the time it was the other way around.

You mean like the train that could win every grand tour in a season, and get three riders on the podium in one of them?

It's really not super relevant, you still have to be the best rider (unless you are Sepp Kuss or Bradley Wiggins). If Valverde, Quintana, Nibali or Contador were stronger than Froome, they would have dropped him once the last Sky domestique was used up, most of the time it was the other way around.
We were robbed of the 2014 battle. 2013 Contador was below his standard the whole year, 2015 did the double, and 2016 he was past his best. It also didn’t help that he went for the long range attacks.

We were robbed of the 2014 battle. 2013 Contador was below his standard the whole year, 2015 did the double, and 2016 he was past his best. It also didn’t help that he went for the long range attacks.
IMO Contador was never quite as good after his ban , even if he still won grand tours. That's why he went for long range attacks. Contador won his first grand tour after his ban with a long range attack , divesting Purito of what looked liked certain victory on stage 17 of the 2012 Vuelta.

I don't think Froome ever battled peak Contador.

IMO Contador was never quite as good after his ban , even if he still won grand tours. That's why he went for long range attacks. Contador won his first grand tour after his ban with a long range attack , divesting Purito of what looked liked certain victory on stage 17 of the 2012 Vuelta.

He did not, because he had Bazzilllla right!? Froome is an enigma wrapped in a mystery.

Well, Contador said he was producing his best numbers in 2014. I don’t know if he was really worse after the ban.

tbf I'd say it would be wise to close this thread for the next 24 hours and open a thread about Michelle in the general discussion. moderators?
Thank you,

Not closing the thread, but (MODERATOR MODE ON) This is not licence to discuss in this place the issues in these tweets, nor is speculation about Froome's marriage or the politics of the cyclist invited or appropriate.

Well, Contador said he was producing his best numbers in 2014. I don’t know if he was really worse after the ban.

He was noticeably worse post-ban, never produced his Tour 2009 or Giro 2011 performances. 2014 looked like his best post-ban year and it's really a shame that both he and Froome withdrew during the Tour. They had a remach at the Vuelta (won by Contador) but probably none of them was at his very best then.

He was noticeably worse post-ban, never produced his Tour 2009 or Giro 2011 performances. 2014 looked like his best post-ban year and it's really a shame that both he and Froome withdrew during the Tour. They had a remach at the Vuelta (won by Contador) but probably none of them was at his very best then.
Talking about the Vuelta 2014 i remember the numbers produced there, were really good, and i'm not sure that were worse than in the Tour 2009, but that's something i will look further.

The Tour 2009 is especially "Verbier".

They produced a great battle on Vuelta andalucia 2015.

Well, Contador said his 2014 form approaching the Tour was at his best.

Reactions: Froome