• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Cian Uijtdebroeks - From the wetlands to the top of cycling

Page 62 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I kinda like that his Giro interviews always end with "Thank you!" - "Please!" :D

View: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8y9e6w

I guess reason is that (same as in German) the translation of "please" has two meanings in Dutch?
Well, the Dutch equivalent is alsjeblieft = alstublieft = als het u belieft, meaning literally "if it pleases you". Indeed it is used when asking something as well as when offering something.

Reactions: Wvv and search
I kinda like that his Giro interviews always end with "Thank you!" - "Please!" :D

View: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8y9e6w

I guess reason is that (same as in German) the translation of "please" has two meanings in Dutch?
He actually seems like a very pleasant and enthusiastic guy. Humble. Perhaps this is the first recorded instance of a young belgian behaving in such a manner?

• Haha
Reactions: Eagle_Alps
He will have his new made TT handlebars today. They haven’t done a lot aero but started from his Bora position and tweaked it with little things. Like putting his hands as close as possible to his face.
The main focus was getting more flexible and putting out the power in that position.

Before the Tirreno they did a recon of this TT. They won’t change bikes for the climb. (As I expect no GC riders will switch).

Hope he’ll do well today, which indicates the form is good for the mountains to come.

He will have his new made TT handlebars today. They haven’t done a lot aero but started from his Bora position and tweaked it with little things. Like putting his hands as close as possible to his face.
The main focus was getting more flexible and putting out the power in that position.

"No, no, Cian I wasn't hitting you with your own hand. I was merely trying to put it as close to your face as possible".

Interview (video + transcript) in Dutch, his TT is a long term project (2 years), feels more comfortable on the bike now and can output his power better.

Before the Tirreno they did a recon of this TT. They won’t change bikes for the climb. (As I expect no GC riders will switch).

Hope he’ll do well today, which indicates the form is good for the mountains to come.
So that's the ideas any couch potato coulda told you. It's kinda funny he made such a big issue about TT prep at Bora, now he's moved to his dream team and it's all like "yeah the TT is a long term project".

Reactions: Sandisfan
So that's the ideas any couch potato coulda told you. It's kinda funny he made such a big issue about TT prep at Bora, now he's moved to his dream team and it's all like "yeah the TT is a long term project".
That's not why he left or claims he left Bora though, the Chrono de Nations TT was just the straw that broke the camel's back. I think what happened during the Vuelta was a bigger factor, just like it was for Roglic.

Interview (video + transcript) in Dutch, his TT is a long term project (2 years), feels more comfortable on the bike now and can output his power better.

I think he will do a good TT today, he will surprise a lot of people.

Reactions: Monte Serra
That was one of the reasons he left I guess. Just typing what his trainer said in an interview for the newspaper. His TT position wasn’t actually bad, his posture was (holding a flexible position longer and getting the numbers).
And I think Visma is saying that with every rider, 1-2years untill they have a lot of TT results/data as reference for what he can hold or to change a pacing plan etc.

That was one of the reasons he left I guess. Just typing what his trainer said in an interview for the newspaper. His TT position wasn’t actually bad, his posture was (holding a flexible position longer and getting the numbers).
And I think Visma is saying that with every rider, 1-2years untill they have a lot of TT results/data as reference for what he can hold or to change a pacing plan etc.
Not having the team support and a satisfying plan to improve his TT results was likely a bigger factor in his frustration than making big improvements immediately.

Not particularly bad, but not particularly good either.
5s slower than Bardet, half a minute slower than Lutsenko, 48s slower than O'Connor, 55s slower than Thomas, 1m34s slower than Tiberi.

Not awful. Let's leave it at that.
if Arensman continues to improve, and I'll wait with that until the next mt stage (tomorrow?) then that is going to be the biggest issue for white

Pretty ok TT, better than expected. Will be interesting to see if the second TT is also that „good“ or if it was a Performance on the Upper end of the range. And lets See how much his TT effort today effects the Mountain Stage tomorrow.

https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.gva.be%2FAssets%2FImages_Upload%2F2024%2F05%2F10%2F936e53a3-17d0-4a59-aed7-a8309a72e224.jpg

which-stormtrooper-design-do-you-like-more-v0-z9x7csvymlzc1.jpg

He’ll be back in the top 5 after today, maybe even top 3 is he’s able to drop O’Conner
Top 3 if he is able to drop O'Connor and Thomas. It's not impossible but I doubt he can make a significant gap today.

I do hope he is back in the white jersey after today. It could become an interesting battle with Arensman after the next TT, especially if G stumbles and Arensman becomes the leader. It's still one of the sideshows that can make this Giro a bit interesting.

Top 3 if he is able to drop O'Connor and Thomas. It's not impossible but I doubt he can make a significant gap today.

I do hope he is back in the white jersey after today. It could become an interesting battle with Arensman after the next TT, especially if G stumbles and Arensman becomes the leader. It's still one of the sideshows that can make this Giro a bit interesting.
I wasn't able to see that stage so besides the outcome I don't really know how he was riding. Let's see if he's able to drop some people today. Maybe a bit difficult because the stage isn't hard enough. Mostly looking forward to Sunday.