• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Crashes, what can be done?

Page 51 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Reactions: Sandisfan
most roads actually looked better than I epected. But sure, a stage into Napoli is always going to be on the sketchy side.

Meanwhile, in a French junior race this weekend a sports director took out both breakaway riders:

View: https://twitter.com/F3Alsace/status/1789577543659483447

Inexperience may have played a part here, I guess, but in gereral, the whole "one guy for everything" situation in the cars is obviously not ideal.
Wiping out the next potential potential French big star is not the wisest move.

During the first half of a race, when the weather turns like it did today, they should stop the race for five minutes so riders can safely put on wet weather kit. (or take it off). Just seems a disaster waiting to happen.
'VINDICATION!!' (see the last paragraph)

GOCWprFWQAAdZZ3

Crashes, what can be done?
Don't race.

During the debates we had we now know the general sentiment among involved parties is:

• Not all but most riders are interested in changes leading to more safety in the pro peloton.
  • Some organisers do tend to care and are prepared to do something about it.
  • Fans mostly don't care.
  • UCI doesn't care or better, due to position they have, they are pro active in regards to supporting crashes.
So in this specific case your comment is perfectly aligned with that. So seem the riders sentiment, organiser is trying to do something, UCI mute. So yeah, still rather long way to go, before the meme nothing can be done crashes out in some corner. Preferably landing in a fluffy barrier. I mean the organiser didn't even opt-in to provide hot tee in the pit stop. Jeez.

During the debates we had we now know the general sentiment among involved parties is:

• Not all but most riders are interested in changes leading to more safety in the pro peloton.
  • Some organisers do tend to care and are prepared to do something about it.
  • Fans mostly don't care.
  • UCI doesn't care or better, due to position they have, they are pro active in regards to supporting crashes.
So in this specific case your comment is perfectly aligned with that. So seem the riders sentiment, organiser is trying to do something, UCI mute. So yeah, still rather long way to go, before the meme nothing can be done crashes out in some corner. Preferably landing in a fluffy barrier. I mean the organiser didn't even opt-in to provide hot tee in the pit stop. Jeez.
The problem is that most people agree something should be done about safety, but they want it to be other people's responsibility.

The riders fly about like maniacs not respecting the courses, kamikazeing and divebombing corners without due consideration of risk, and expect the organisers to foot the bill for any changes needed to allow them to do that.

The organisers want to allocate as much of budget as possible to the route, prize money etc. to maximise sponsor and field rather than things like policing, barriers etc. so don't want to up the logistical and H&S budget and want the UCI to foot the bill for it.

The UCI need both races and riders as a key part of their value proposition, and don't want to alienate either group, so wind up making completely irrelevant, anodyne pronouncements that don't offer any firm or coherent action on either - and are far too reactionary, usually policing the outcome rather than the offence.

Fans want to be entertained and don't want races cancelled, but at the same time nor do they want to watch farcical spectacles like stages 2 and 9 of the Vuelta last year where the elites of the pro péloton are having a slow Sunday roll on perfectly safe roads while racing is supposedly still on, while the finish has been moved into a dangerous part of the course, or a future where every single profile is either ________ or _______/ and is only allowed on sunny days (but not too sunny in case of sunstroke) with temperatures between 16º and 24ºC.

The riders fly about like maniacs not respecting the courses, kamikazeing and divebombing corners without due consideration of risk, and expect the organisers to foot the bill for any changes needed to allow them to do that.

Modern pro cycling indeed is much more about that, basically full gas racing, like all the time. So much nedded adaptations in the other fronts are in my opinion needed, instead of saying it's the riders fault and that is that.

The organisers want to allocate as much of budget as possible to the route, prize money etc. to maximise sponsor and field rather than things like policing, barriers etc. so don't want to up the logistical and H&S budget and want the UCI to foot the bill for it.

Money for sure is an issue that needs to be taken into consideration. Here for example i like the idea of mandatory inflatable barriers to be positioned on exposed sections. As lets face it if you crash in a solid iron bar, to keep you inside the road, that is still far from being optimal. Now the idea each organizer will acquire a few trucks of such barriers alone, in my opinion it would be much better if this would be outsourced and for the same equipment to be used on more races. Considering such barriers are great spots for "commercials", at least a part of the cost could be taken care of by a sponsor.

The UCI need both races and riders as a key part of their value proposition, and don't want to alienate either group, so wind up making completely irrelevant, anodyne pronouncements that don't offer any firm or coherent action on either - and are far too reactionary, usually policing the outcome rather than the offence.

UCI is currently in denial. That is when it comes to safety they are currently acting like they did when it came to doping. Before they acknowledged it is a problem and something must be done about it. Ultimately nothing will happen without UCI taking their share of responsibility for it.

Fans want to be entertained and don't want races cancelled, but at the same time nor do they want to watch farcical spectacles like stages 2 and 9 of the Vuelta last year where the elites of the pro péloton are having a slow Sunday roll on perfectly safe roads while racing is supposedly still on, while the finish has been moved into a dangerous part of the course, or a future where every single profile is either ________ or _______/ and is only allowed on sunny days (but not too sunny in case of sunstroke) with temperatures between 16º and 24ºC.

Fans, what to say about the fans. One thing is sure, you got to love the fans and fans for sure won't do jack about improving rider safety in pro peloton. Here some potential is in education, ASO already playing a role. For example a selfie, when not facing the approaching peloton. That is just a big no no. We could say doh, people doing that are so stupid, still, they were not properly educated, that is the real problem behind it. As the whole point of doing the selfie is to take out the camera and turn your back on something you want to include in the picture. That is just on how the current generation was educated, to use a camera.

Modern pro cycling indeed is much more about that, basically full gas racing, like all the time. So much nedded adaptations in the other fronts are in my opinion needed, instead of saying it's the riders fault and that is that.
The problem with that is, if you just say "cycling is just like that now" and absolve the riders of any responsibility for the increased level of unsafe racing, then why can't race organisers just say "the geography of Italy is just like that now" and insist on racing in unsafe conditions?

The péloton has to race more responsibly, or the UCI need to start meting out punishments to riders or teams whose unsafe actions create accidents. Yes, the sport has changed, but while the courses can adapt to some extent, it's still an outdoor sport that takes place on infrastructure that has to deal with public use the rest of the year, it's not a closed circuit like F1, so while there are obligations that can be placed on organisers, there is an upper ceiling on what they are able to do. And maybe some riders have to recognise that if you go 100% all-out all the time paying no heed to the consequences, sometimes there will be consequences, and you can only a absolve yourself of blame and push it onto organisers so far.

Take Jakobsen/Groenewegen. The organiser was negligent in agreeing such a finish, and shoring up the structure with bricks made the accident so much worse than it needed to be. Czesław Lang and his team were rightly punished for their irresponsibility. BUT, it wasn't them that caused the crash, it was Dylan Groenewegen's irresponsibility that caused the crash and he was punished for his part. Lang and co. were punished for the outcome of the crash being worse than it needed to be had they done their job more appropriately.

Last edited:
@Libertine Seguros

Riders in my opinion do already take the largest portion of responsibility, as for riders this is not just a word, instead it involves a couple of months of healing. Per season. Now the idea riders themself will change current affairs in modern pro peloton in regards to safety. How? By refusing to race? Modern pro peloton is what it is, this won't change over night. Other things need to accommodate and take it as is as it won't change to the extent some drastic improvement in regards to rider safety to emerge as a result.

Organisers currently do take some form of responsibility, mostly in the terms of (accumulated) backlash. Some are even willing to be an active participant in improving safety.

UCI in my opinion currently refuses to take any meaningful form of responsibility. For example, when the big 3 crashed, their comment went in the direction we will look into it but before doing that we are almost sure it was riders fault, so the case is closed? This attitude is just so misplaced. And what if it was 120% riders fault? Who cares. Cycling is not a penal correction facility on where you deserve to get injured if it's your fault. So here UCI in my opinion really needs to make some fundamental shift in terms of perception of their role in regards to riders safety in pro peloton. Just like governing bodies did in other sports. Imagine if in F1 a governing body would make such a statement, well, it's the rider fault, to crash, so beyond that it doesn't concern us. Shot on the spot.

Fans and their responsibility. Here we can for sure try and things will improve with things like better education. But focusing too much on the fans in terms of generally taking responsibility and improving safety in pro peloton is likely a bit misplaced.

Here's the thing though... nobody wants to see riders injured, but if a rider takes a risk divebombing a colleague, following somebody too close on a descent, or launching into a blind corner at full speed... they know that the risk is there and what the consequences are if they come off. If they crash because they rode like a reckless lunatic, then I'm not going to hold the organiser responsible. If they crash because the organiser put a hairpin bend on dusty roads 600m from the end of a sprint stage and the riders simply couldn't negotiate it safely, then I'm not going to hold the péloton responsible.

But if they crash because a rider rode like a reckless lunatic, but the impact of the crash is worsened by the organisers' doing, such as the bricks in the Tour de Pologne or the uncovered culvert in the Itzulia... it doesn't miraculously absolve the riders of blame for the incident and lay it all on the organisers' door, because the crash was the riders' fault.

You say the modern pro péloton can't change overnight, but it can change an awful lot faster - and is a lot more realistic - than changing the entire infrastructure of Europe and everywhere else that hosts bike races to make it so that the riders can plunge into any corner they like at any speed they like without there being an inherent risk in doing so.

You are using F1 as the comparative, but you need to use something like rally, the Pikes Peak hill climb or the Isle of Man TT, because cycling doesn't use purpose-built courses, and it has to deal with roads that come with all of the trappings that regular public use entails. They will never be able to make the sport truly 'safe', only 'safer'. There is an upper limit to what the UCI and the race organisers can do, the péloton is not absolved of responsibility for safety just because they want to go 100% all the time and not have to think about the risk. Most of the riders who enter the Isle of Man TT want to go 100% all the time too. For 269 of them, it's been the last thing they've ever wanted to do.

Here's the thing though... nobody wants to see riders injured, but if a rider takes a risk divebombing a colleague, following somebody too close on a descent, or launching into a blind corner at full speed... they know that the risk is there and what the consequences are if they come off. If they crash because they rode like a reckless lunatic, then I'm not going to hold the organiser responsible. If they crash because the organiser put a hairpin bend on dusty roads 600m from the end of a sprint stage and the riders simply couldn't negotiate it safely, then I'm not going to hold the péloton responsible.

But if they crash because a rider rode like a reckless lunatic, but the impact of the crash is worsened by the organisers' doing, such as the bricks in the Tour de Pologne or the uncovered culvert in the Itzulia... it doesn't miraculously absolve the riders of blame for the incident and lay it all on the organisers' door, because the crash was the riders' fault.

Responsibility, from legal point of view, that is something, AFAIK, currently non existent in the sense of clarity. AFAIK you as a rider, or representative, basically signs a piece of paper, for being able to participate at some stage/race, for the organiser not to be responsible in case you injure yourself. And in the end it's not like organiser will have any initiative to care if it's your fault or not. This is something fans are usually caught up with determining, mostly for entertainment purposes. So currently more or less a wild west.

Why?

What you can do, as a riders that got injured, is you can still take legal action in a regular court but i rarely see it happen. For example i read a while back a rider is taking legal action against an organizer and there was or still is an ongoing dispute between riders from that prominent Tour de Pologne crash.

Now on why it took 100 years of road cycling and for legal responsibility to still be so inadequate. It's rather clear i guess, nobody else wants to take any responsibility whatsoever, it's all on riders ATM.

You say the modern pro péloton can't change overnight, but it can change an awful lot faster - and is a lot more realistic - than changing the entire infrastructure of Europe and everywhere else that hosts bike races to make it so that the riders can plunge into any corner they like at any speed they like without there being an inherent risk in doing so.

We discussed this in detail and i feel that the initial idea, on how you need to secure 200km of roads per stage, that turned out to be not as bad. That is it usually comes down to a couple of kilometres per stage. Bridges, corners on dangerous descends, finale ... So all in all no biggie. In terms of setting some inflatable barriers with commercial space available on them and making sure that road sections don't have big holes in the surface. It's like if we at first thought 200km seems a whole lot, it does, but realistically you need to make sure you secured in between 1% to 5% of the exposed sections. For the rest, less exposed sections, you carry a personal airbag anyway. Yeah, i know, not yet. I am talking from the perspective on where a decision will be made to actually do something. Beyond measuring socks and things like that.

You are using F1 as the comparative, but you need to use something like rally, the Pikes Peak hill climb or the Isle of Man TT, because cycling doesn't use purpose-built courses, and it has to deal with roads that come with all of the trappings that regular public use entails. They will never be able to make the sport truly 'safe', only 'safer'. There is an upper limit to what the UCI and the race organisers can do, the péloton is not absolved of responsibility for safety just because they want to go 100% all the time and not have to think about the risk. Most of the riders who enter the Isle of Man TT want to go 100% all the time too. For 269 of them, it's been the last thing they've ever wanted to do.

I used F1 as an example to say FIA, as a governing body, takes riders safety seriously and objectively the number of injuries and deaths decreased dramatically. That is on the same purpose-built course type of race. On where UCI, as a governing body, doesn't take riders safety seriously and objectively the number of injuries and even deaths is high. UCI can do better and we will force them to do better. I am sure that the number of injuries will reduce in the next decade and that UCI will play an important role in achieving that, if they want it or not, better if they take a positive stance on it then to be forced into it. Either way it will happen. For example three to five years back you couldn't unite the riders, now that isn't a problem any more, organisers are as such under more pressure, UCI is next. It's like with doping, UCI was the last stronghold. Safety is now what doping was back then, we are in pre-safe era and that is about to change.

In what way is F1 on "the same purpose-built courses". Road cycling can't do that, it doesn't have them, hence why I compared it to Pikes Peak or the Isle of Man TT.

And the thing about covering only a couple of particular parts of a course, that is achievable and is something that the organisers can do, but it won't stop accidents happening elsewhere. And then you'll get a bad accident somewhere and people will be like, "how tf could the organisers think THAT part of the course was dangerous and THIS part wasn't?" and so on.

Yes, organisers have to react to the way that the modern péloton behaves in terms of how they set their courses. But at the same time, riders have to bear some responsibility for their own recklessness. They can't just divebomb each other into corners, sweep through entire packs at turbo speed without looking, or ignore the road conditions and then just blame the organisers.

At the same time I honestly think another effect has been the increased professionalism in the péloton and more recently also this push for shorter, more explosive racing. A lot of the time the bunch is much bigger than it would have been in yesteryear, so there is less space to work with, and small time gaps are more important, making being up near the front more crucial. The more recent trend toward Unipuertos and short stages that mean the riders can go flying around at 100% all the time has exacerbated this. More 220-240km stages where riders have to think about dosing their efforts or more domestiques are required to do their job and then drop off giving more space in the péloton might actually improve safety. I know, counter-intuitive and all, but I think it is a factor, that the riders are fresh enough to give that 100% effort and go at the kind of speeds they go nowadays, but now they're doing it in a full péloton of 140 riders rather than a reduced one of 70 - but they're still using the same roads.

That might be a discussion for the"State of the Peloton" clinic thread.
Only to some extent. The part I'm talking about here is the organisers' side.

The proliferation of shorter stages and the trend toward Unipuerto 'youtube cycling' does mean we are seeing far less selectivity.

There's also another factor that the centralisation of the top talent in the sport in the same group of WT teams means that we don't have the talent spread across as many teams as when there were multiple strong ProContis, and by proxy therefore people that might have been leaders across a number of smaller teams that split out the calendar are now filling out spots as domestiques in super-teams, driving the pace up yet further. A pile-up in a péloton of twice the size is likely to create more injuries - and a péloton with a higher % of name value riders is likely to have a higher chance of injuries to big name riders when those pile-ups happen.

Unfortunately, that's just one of the prices that we have to pay for Premier League Cycling with a semi-locked top level of the elites and their concentration into a small number of high quality, high depth teams. But while the organisers have to react in their course design and provisions to reflect the behaviours of the cyclists, the cyclists themselves also have to react to the changes in the péloton's structure increasing the risk attached to their actions.

@Libertine Seguros

The point was when F1 started to take safety seriously, things improved in this regard. Imagine that. I agree on the point that more professionalism is one of the culprits pro peloton has become so fragile. As less professionalism in not something we need, or should push for, what we need is more professional attitude toward improving safety in pro peloton, as this is still ongoing on an amateur level ATM.

As for the responsibility. I feel that we already established that riders are the ones, to take sole responsibility. So solutions that demand more responsibility, for riders, that would further exempt other parties of any responsibility whatsoever. Here it on how it currently works:

• Riders take all responsibility.
  • Organisers are lately under some scrutiny, still they can pretty much do anything and get away with it.
  • UCI. Takes no responsibility whatsoever, beyond measuring socks and things like that.
  • Fans, you got to love the fans, they at least feel responsible to always try to determinate on who's fault it was.

That might be a discussion for the"State of the Peloton" clinic thread.

It doesn't mater, even if they are all doped, road is not a penal correction facility and they don't deserve to get injured because of it.

@Libertine Seguros

The point was when F1 started to take safety seriously, things improved in this regard. Imagine that. I agree on the point that more professionalism is one of the culprits pro peloton has become so fragile. As less professionalism in not something we need, or should push for, what we need is more professional attitude toward improving safety in pro peloton, as this is still ongoing on an amateur level ATM.

As for the responsibility. I feel that we already established that riders are the ones, to take sole responsibility. So solutions that demand more responsibility, for riders, that would further exempt other parties of any responsibility whatsoever. Here it on how it currently works:

• Riders take all responsibility.
  • Organisers are lately under some scrutiny, still they can pretty much do anything and get away with it.
  • UCI. Takes no responsibility whatsoever, beyond measuring socks and things like that.
  • Fans, you got to love the fans, they at least feel responsible to always try to determinate on who's fault it was.

It doesn't mater, even if they are all doped, road is not a penal correction facility and they don't deserve to get injured because of it.
But do the riders really take all responsibility? You see all the opprobrium directed at race directors for the injuries to major contenders this season, but the crashes in the Classics were not caused by the race directors, they were caused by the péloton. The crash in Itzulia was definitely made worse by errors and omissions on the part of the race directors, but the crash itself was caused by the péloton going way too fast for the roads they were on. You can say what you will about noting various hazards, the fact of the matter is, inconsistent mountain roads in the Basque Country are just a fact of life and you inherently accept that risk the second you enter a race in that part of the world, and you have to adjust your conduct on the bike accordingly to accommodate that.

I'm not saying that riders deserve to get injured, I'm saying that the race organisers don't deserve to get blamed for injuries that they didn't have any contribution to, and saying (paraphrased) "riders go into corners not respecting the road or one another, and it's the fault of the race organisers for not responding to that to ensure that the riders can take any risk they like without fear of consequence" is unfair on the organisers. Crashes caused by reckless moves in sprints or just lack of concentration in the bunch are always going to happen, and often happen on the most innocuous stretches of road.

Race organisers arranging ridiculously complicated run-ins for sprint stages, not placing barriers properly, things like that, that can be clamped down on. But what were the organisers meant to do about the Dwars door Vlaanderen crash where van Aert got injured? That could happen anytime, anywhere.

@Libertine Seguros

Yes, riders in my opinion currently take most if not all of the responsibility. If you will read your reply again, you will notice that you are actually aware of that. That is you mention it would be unfair to organisers if they would need to take more responsibility. You don't mention UCI at all.

Anyway. On why you personally likely don't want for riders to be awarded with more responsibility, to make the peloton a more safe working environment in regard to reducing injuries, as that would lead to another aspect that AFAIK you are against. With awarding even more responsibility to the riders, to improve safety in the peloton and by other parties doing nothing , what would happen is with such responsibility comes the power too. That is riders will start to dictate more and more the terms and conditions of racing on stages and races. Basically they will start doing the job organisers and UCI should be doing, for them. And we all know on how well that is received by the fans, when it happens on some small scale.

And again i will use F1 as an example here. It wasn't the riders that improved safety, beyond being vocal and proactive about it. Other parties did it.

Where do I state riders shouldn't be more responsible for avoiding accidents? It's precisely my point that the riders are causing accidents by riding as though they are unaware of the consequences and then blaming race organisers for accidents that occur. What I'm saying is that race organisers can do something about the things that are their own fault, like the run-in in Naples, but they can't do anything about things like riders pulling reckless moves on one another.

I've already said I don't think F1 is a valid comparison because a lot of what eas done was in respect of the circuits, which were mainly permanent facilities. The FIA were able to strongarm the circuit owners with the threat of losing their GP into making changes that simply wouldn't be possible on an entire road infrastructure that would be necessary to do the same for cycling, which is why I raised public-road Motorsport events like Pikes Peak and the Isle of Man TT as more accurate comparisons for the limitations on what organisers can do in cycling. And I would argue Jackie Stewart had a far greater role in F1's progress on that front than just complaining about safety.

The issue for me is not giving the riders more power when it comes to safety but that, at present, the riders are looking in the wrong place and not being self-reflective enough. The only times they seem to take action is when they don't like the weather, or in 2020 they just think a stage is too long. But making a stage long is actually one of the things organisers can do for safety, because riders will have to manage their efforts better than in a short stage where they can go all guns blazing throughout. The riders used to be a bit better at self-policing riders that took too many risks in close quarters racing, too.

"Crashes: What can be done?"
Some meaningful disincentive to dangerous rulebreaking would be a start:
Addy Engels got a 500 CHF penalty for towing Milan back to the field with the Jumbo car :D :D

For Milan himself it was a bit cheaper, and probably worth the couple of points he lost due to it.

Sheltering behind or taking advantage of the slipstream of a vehicle.
200 CHF fine, 15 penalty points in the points classification and 15 pts in the UCI rankings
Milan got 130 UCI points, 35 points classification points, and ~5,500 CHF for coming second yesterday.

Can somebody please explain the concept of deterrence here?

@Libertine Seguros

Likely you misunderstood what i said. Indeed what you are arguing all along is it's solely riders fault. You don't even seem to acknowledge organisers and especially UCI could do better. Just like you are trying to misinterpret the F1 comparison, by claiming circuits are not the same as road racing. The point here was that once FIA decided safety is important, after that safety in the caravan improved, before that FIA was neglecting safety and safety was arguably worse.

So you see it wasn't the riders that ultimately improved safety in the caravan, just as it won't be the riders, that will improve safety in the pro peloton. And until that happens, well, until then riders will more and more "strike". Gone are the days, on where riders perceived themself as a dumb livestock and believed it's solely their fault. Now they understand they can stop the circus at any point they desire, until people responsible for their safety start to do better, from time to time they will act on it to make their point. Until ultimately all parties involved take their share of responsibility.

Reactions: Berniece
Two areas exposed at Giro still in need of some work.

Fan education. Pogi already started educating fans on stage 20 and if this won't suffice then peloton should protect itself. A fan punching a rider in the ribs is punishable by gruppetto isolating the fan and to educate the fan, or something like that. Or indeed maybe a better option, Eurosport spot on education, as when majority of fans will be educated, fans themself will prevent such things from occurring. As currently you can't blame the fans for being stupid if you have done nothing to educate them.

Sunscreen. No.1 advice and some still seem not to get it. UAE car forgetting to bring sunscreen, that should be punishable by DS losing the spot in the car for remainder of the race. There is just no excuse on when it comes to sunscreen.

@Libertine Seguros

Likely you misunderstood what i said. Indeed what you are arguing all along is it's solely riders fault. You don't even seem to acknowledge organisers and especially UCI could do better. Just like you are trying to misinterpret the F1 comparison, by claiming circuits are not the same as road racing. The point here was that once FIA decided safety is important, after that safety in the caravan improved, before that FIA was neglecting safety and safety was arguably worse.

So you see it wasn't the riders that ultimately improved safety in the caravan, just as it won't be the riders, that will improve safety in the pro peloton. And until that happens, well, until then riders will more and more "strike". Gone are the days, on where riders perceived themself as a dumb livestock and believed it's solely their fault. Now they understand they can stop the circus at any point they desire, until people responsible for their safety start to do better, from time to time they will act on it to make their point. Until ultimately all parties involved take their share of responsibility.
Organisers and UCI have some part of responsability in crashes, but the main responsability is on the riders.

Just look at some crashes that happened in final sprints, because the sprinters are crazy guys, or look at the crash on Itzulia. Yes, there were some minor bumps in the road, but why the riders did the descent so fast, taking so many risks? It doesn't make any sense, especially when they did the previous climb in a slow pace. There's also riders who need to improve his bike handling, because they put others riders in risk because of that.

Who was the fault in the crash of Van aert in March? It was all on the riders again.

Sometimes there's some responsability by UCI and organisers, but the main responsability is on the riders.

Reactions: SHAD0W93