• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Do we need more mods? YES!

You asked for it, you got it!

We would like to add some more mods, with a particular eye on the upcoming Tour de France.

If you have some spare time, can be impartial and reasonably rational, and don't mind any number of vicious personal attacks :D , then this is the job for you!

Feel free to answer here or PM me.

Thanks, and (not) looking forward to the hundreds of "I wouldn't dream of doing that crap job" replies....

Susan

I wouldn't dream of doing that job coz I'd make a horrible mod.
My reaction if I saw someone misbehave would probably be something like:

"Oh... not good. But I don't wanna make anyone hate me."

<.<
>.>

"I'll just"

"Bye... "

Oh, and Susan. You think it's gonna be a bit crazy here for the Tour? :p

Susan, did Afrank or sittingbison say anything about returning to active moderation? I think they were two mods who kept things in control, Afrank mainly the PRR section (which by the way I think is the place in need of most moderation) and sittingbison here and there. Did they say anything before they were gone? Eshnar seems to be less and less active by the day, too, and the PRR section sometimes sees things that wouldn't be allowed back in the day. I mean, Alpe is basically the only mod active at the moment. 1 mod, moderating one section.

Re:

Susan Westemeyer said:
We particularly need someone who is willing to try and keep the Clinic more or less under control.
I could do that on my own, basically just can anyone who really believes that doping is not rampant in pro cycling and that it is possible to be in the top ten or even top 20 in any major pro cycling event without it. :D

Re:

Susan Westemeyer said:
BigMac: Eshnar, Parrulo and Ferryman are also active. Even I keep doing my part by banning spammers and stickying/unstickying race threads.

The problem with having one mod for one sub-forum is, what to do when that mod is not available?

No I meant, Alpe is 1 mod moderating 1 section of a forum which seems to me devoid of active moderation. As I said, it is my perception that Eshnar is not much active these days, especially post Giro, Parrulo just came from a long time away from the forum, surely loging in from time to time, but rarely. He posted twice or thrice and I haven't seen him again since then. I forgot about ferry, yes. My point is, those who are still here, are without doubt much less active than they used to. Things that get posted in the PRR, read personal insults, would not be tolerated a couple of months back. Because there was always someone checking in threads. Eshnar, Parrulo, ferry, unlike Alpe, take scarce looks at random threads, or threads they go to read, but inbetween that there's tons of tosh that passes without a mod glimpse. I really, really appreciate that you're still behind the scenes and taking care of matters, but spammers are the least of problems. I'm not asking you to do other's job, you do plety already, but clearly ain't nobody buying the idea that there's still active moderation, not even half of what there used to. Active moderation was what Afrank did.

And with the current useless, I mean useless, reporting system, which we shouldn't be required to use anyway, you need a new crew more than ever. I think it says much that a certain guy with more than 20 bans, who used to get them more often than anyone, keeps posting in the exact same way that used to get him out of here, and has been walking away with it for ages in a 'no problemo, I do whatever the f# I want even if that means insulting everybody' style.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: Re:

Susan Westemeyer said:
RedheadDane said:
Oh, and Susan. You think it's gonna be a bit crazy here for the Tour? :p

No. It's going to be a lot crazy.
What inside info you got?

Forums can moderate themselves is my opinion.
We particularly need someone who is willing to try and keep the Clinic more or less under control.
Are we talking bout a payed job? I earn 2500 E a month, so make a bid ;)

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Nah, dont worry Susy. Nibali will crash, Froome wil get sick, Contador will crack like in 2011 and everyone will enjoy the first french winner since Hinault. You know, when 3/4 of this forum wasnt even born.

I would worry about other sections. The Clinic is bored.

Being a Mod means there is a lot of behind the scenes stuff like tidying up the spam that still hits the site. It's not glamorous. We are not all that active or comfortable in certain forums like the Clinic, so that is where a forumite with neutral views who is, would be welcome. And really, despite what people might think, there is NO hidden agenda or direction given by the powers that be on CN. Go for it someone:)

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Curious, how many mods are you trying to bring on?

Also, I hope you really consider the candidates, some who most likely, if they haven't already shown interest, would be a huge mistake.