• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Does anyone ride 42 teeth inner chainring on a regular basis any more?

I've gone back to using a 42 teeth inner chainring on my road bikes. It works well for me with a 11 to 25 cassette as I mostly ride 42x15 and it runs really nicely with an almost straight chainline.
I'm interested to know if anyone else uses a 42T chainring on a regular basis?

Not on a regular basis, but that's what I have on the 40yo flat bar road bike that I keep at my parents place. It's got a classic 2x6 drive train, 52/42 rings and 14-28 thread-on freewheel.
I restored it 10 years ago after having it hanged up in the garage for ages and I use it when I visit them. I put the widest CX tires that fit the frame (35mm) for riding a mix of road and non-paved farm and forest paths. I get weird looks from both roadies on the road and mountain bikers off the road. Then I discovered that what I was doing had been invented somewhere else and was called gravel riding, and was seen as very uncool in my part of the world. I have never seen anyone on a gravel bike in my rides.
I might still get an odd look If I get a gravel bike when time comes after me and I can't get over the hills in the area with the 42x28.

Reactions: Sciatic