• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Emanuel Buchmann thread

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
What has Buchmann achieved the past couple of years to warrant such a fervent discussion on his non selection?
This is no longer 2019. He hasn't won a race outside of Germany in 4 years, he's not a valuable domestique, he's not versatile, he's not fast or explosive enough to think he'll win a stage from the break. Even if he was "promised" a spot in the Giro team he's old and experienced enough to know cycling is a business and teams want results.
They still hyped him up in 2021 and even 2023. Only to exclude him in 2024 when the Giro d'Italia has one of the weakest fields in a long time.

It just doesn't make sense from so many perspectives.

Buchmann is going to be present in France as an additional mountain domestique for Roglic, then?

My problem is that they seem to send riders for 3 weeks on a altitude camp just in case they can use them. They could have send Buchman to altitude in February to prepare for UAE or races like catalunya. Now he is shape and can't show it and before the 3 weeks on teide he was average.
That's why he is angry I think. They should have told him that they probably don't need him. I still think Martinez could miss Buchmann in the hard mountain stages in the last part of the race.
Like I said, my impression is that they don't trust him to work as a domestique.
Send him to Hungary/Norway and then the TdS as a gc rider, since all your top Tour guys are supposed to ride the Dauphine.

Looks like poor communication, just like you said.

They still hyped him up in 2021 and even 2023. Only to exclude him in 2024 when the Giro d'Italia has one of the weakest fields in a long time.

It just doesn't make sense from so many perspectives.

Buchmann is going to be present in France as an additional mountain domestique for Roglic, then?
Dani Martinez, Hindley, Vlasov, Sobrero, how many more guys for the mountains do you need? You add Denz, Van Poppel and Haller for the flat stages and the gravel one, imo that's more useful.

So they told him his shape would be good enough to top 10 the Giro, but not good enough for the podium.
Not bringing a top 10 rider to the race but instead bringing mediocre riders like Koch, Gamper or Aleotti is an interesting decision.
Dan Lorang made a clear statement in a german podcast, that they switched plans after the crash of Kämna. They want one leader who is able to secure a top GC spot (Top 5 or better), they are not interested in an 7,8,9 place in GC. The other riders are at the giro for stage wins. Buchmann can only fight for a stage win in stages which are potential GC stages, so there will be no chances for Buchmann on stage wins. riders like Koch, Gamper and Aleotti can fight on many other stage profiles for stage wins (if they can secure a stage win - i don´t know). He also said that if Martinez is to far back in GC he will not fight for 8th in GC, then his focus will also switch to stage wins.

So with this strategy it makes sense to not take Buchmann to the giro. Maybe there was some miscommunication with the rider and the management of the rider

Dan Lorang made a clear statement in a german podcast, that they switched plans after the crash of Kämna. They want one leader who is able to secure a top GC spot (Top 5 or better), they are not interested in an 7,8,9 place in GC.
Whereas I understand this strategy in general, it's not like Martínez is a rider who guarantees you to fight for Top 5, let alone a podium finish. He finished inside of the Top 20 of a GT once in his entire career (5th of the 2021 Giro) and that was when he was riding it as a domestique without any pressure. He has not shown anything in the last couple of seasons that indicates that he is more of a GC threat in GTs than Buchmann.

AFAIK Martínez and Kämna were promised shared GC leadership at Giro 2024. Kämna out due to injury could have projected Buchmann in such role, still i doubt this was well communicated in between all parties involved. I assume that Martínez in the end got sole leadership and that resulted in such outcome. Rider being frustrated and the team taking some heat for it. I assume Buchmann would get a spot if prepared to work for Martínez.
Martinez is not reliable for GT.He will disappoint again in a GT. Probably one of the most overrated riders in the peloton.

Martinez is not reliable for GT.He will disappoint again in a GT. Probably one of the most overrated riders in the peloton.

Hard to say as sole leadership was likely not initially planned, not that long ago Cian was expected to lead the Giro team, Kämna injured ... Then the idea is likely for Martínez to be one of the key doms at the Tour, at a start of the season the form was good ... It's up to him and the opportunity for finishing high in GC battle is rather good.

Hard to say as sole leadership was likely not initially planned, not that long ago Cian was expected to lead the Giro team, Kämna injured ... Then the idea is likely for Martínez to be one of the key doms at the Tour, at a start of the season the form was good ... It's up to him and the opportunity for finishing high in GC battle is rather good.
Martinez works better on being domestique.

To be fair he is quite a good rider on one-week stage races, he won Dauphine, Itzulia, also the biggest prize in cycling Volta ao Algarve.
He is a bit the Colombian Ritchie porte

But in every grand tour he did he was a big disappointment, people seem to base their expectations on that one giro where he pulled for Bernal and got 5th overall, even if that 5th was 6 minutes behind a guy like Caruso. Everytime he was a leader in a gt he did nothing.

Also he turned pro in 2015 and did his first GT on 2016, same year as Roglic, and before Hindley, Kuss, Vingegard, geoghen hart, Soler etc. He had plenty of time to develop. It would be very strange if he suddenly put together 3 weeks at the highest level.

The reality is Bora is changing. It's becoming Red Bull Bora hansgrohe. So from the outside none of this appears much different than mergers/takeovers on other fields, i.e. where something like 30% of the workforce (statistically I believe) is deemed redundant & gets laid off.

In this case it's simply some riders are now viewed as unessential. Buchmann is clearly one of them.

Reactions: pastronef