• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Eurosport commentary

Page 268 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I think they do if you watch it online. But not normally on tv.

yeah back on GCN they used to have two feeds, one with "the breakaway" and another one that just showed the world feed after the stage, but now on MAX they only have the one feed with the roundtable show. no standings or podiums, just 4 schmucks standing around talking about Mayonnaise or whatever the ***.

I've said it before, but they need a GT expert, not another sprinter.........
Agreed, but the problem is, who?

Wiggins - already tried, was terrible
Roche Sr, York - fine, but frame of reference seemingly too old for the program's aims
Roche Jr - was tried, seemed decent, but has gone elsewhere
Leipheimer, Vande Velde, Horner, Hesjedal, Danielson - come with significant baggage and many of them unlikely to want to relocate to participate
Evans - doesn't seem to want to
Rogers - is both extremely boring to listen to AND comes with significant baggage
Kennaugh - extremely vanilla

Then you have the still-active riders who ought to be decent enough in the role when they retire. I think Thomas will be a disaster as mentioned, not because of him as I think he'll be absolutely fine, but the others will be so sycophantic around him it will be massively cringe. Hugh Carthy I think would be really good. Chris Froome I'm not convinced would be good on the air, his interviews don't give the air that he'd be super confident with it, a bit like Evans, but he may prove me wrong.

Of people who are out there who could potentially be tried in that kind of role, the obvious name that comes to my mind is Dan Martin, but I don't know how interested he'd be.

Agreed, but the problem is, who?

Wiggins - already tried, was terrible
Roche Sr, York - fine, but frame of reference seemingly too old for the program's aims
Roche Jr - was tried, seemed decent, but has gone elsewhere
Leipheimer, Vande Velde, Horner, Hesjedal, Danielson - come with significant baggage and many of them unlikely to want to relocate to participate
Evans - doesn't seem to want to
Rogers - is both extremely boring to listen to AND comes with significant baggage
Kennaugh - extremely vanilla

Then you have the still-active riders who ought to be decent enough in the role when they retire. I think Thomas will be a disaster as mentioned, not because of him as I think he'll be absolutely fine, but the others will be so sycophantic around him it will be massively cringe. Hugh Carthy I think would be really good. Chris Froome I'm not convinced would be good on the air, his interviews don't give the air that he'd be super confident with it, a bit like Evans, but he may prove me wrong.

Of people who are out there who could potentially be tried in that kind of role, the obvious name that comes to my mind is Dan Martin, but I don't know how interested he'd be.

Agree about Froome. I remember once on The Cycling Podcast they had an episode with him and Richie Porte, looking back on some of his Tour wins. But they were both so bad, bland and boring to listen to. It must have been the least interesting insight into Grand Tour winning performances I have ever listened to.

A big part of Blythe's problem on panel discussions is he talks nonsense and wraps other on the panel into his nonsense. He makes me cringe so often that anytime he says anything that is a good contribution I still focus on his nonsense.
For me in my mind I now use the expression I created, which is "Blythering Idiot". He really pulls group talk into non sequitur and ridiculous points.

Why is it bad? It will be quite a bit cheaper than it is now (HBO and Discovery+ combined).

It appeared as if you'd have to make a new account again.
And is it really cheaper, or are we just paying the same prize for more useless crap? We're already being forced to pay for the biggest package with Discovery+, because apparently someone wanting to just watch sport is a foreign concept.

Reactions: Sandisfan
It appeared as if you'd have to make a new account again.
And is it really cheaper, or are we just paying the same prize for more useless crap? We're already being forced to pay for the biggest package with Discovery+, because apparently someone wanting to just watch sport is a foreign concept.

HBO's content is hardly useless crap to most people. Unlike Discovery+.

But yeah, the impossibility to have sports only subscription is annoying.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Jez Cox's genuine enthusiasm for Tro Bro Leon really put him up in my estimation. He just really seems to love this incredible 1.1 race. Compare that to Hatch who kind of tells us we have to love Strade or we're bonkers and proceed to announce stuff in faux Italiano.
I really wish they showed more League 2 football games so Hatch could maybe get a job. though I doubt he'd be good enough for that.

Last edited:
You need a Blythe dictionary. Clearly: GC guy= anyone who isn‘t fighting to make the time cut
To be fair, he has come a long way from the days when his punditry was limited to "I was mates with this guy" and "look at the power my mate {name} is putting out!". Now he has been able to expand this all the way to include "look at the power {Ineos rider} is putting out!" too.