• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 647 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I agree, I think Vingegaard, Pogacar, Roglic and Evenepoel will all compete for victory. Mostly due to Vingegaard not going to be 100% ready, Pogacar feeling the Giro, and thus reducing the gap with Roglic/Evenepoel
Vingegaard won't make it, even if he starts the race.
Remco will fade, he won't make it to the podium.
Pogacar will feel the Giro, although he will fight for the win.
Roglic will be a contender for the win.
Bernal will emerge from the "dead" and fight for podium, at least...

Remco will fade, he won't make it to the podium.
I'm afraid something like this will happen as well. In the third week he will lose up to 10 minutes, which will diminish his 30 minute lead over runner-up Pogacar to merely 20 minutes. After finishing the TT in Nice, instantly immense festivities ensue and Evenepoel gets carried by the crowds into the night, and he won't make it to the podium ceremony.

Roglic is currently lurking and waiting that the Gods grant him another chance. With Pogi a bit battered and Vingo still in doubts, he has a chance. Actually, he already had one. IMO he can be as good as those two.

I'm personally waiting for Remco to battle it out but I feel he will be competitive for some stages until he fades out with a bang in some stage.

Roglic is currently lurking and waiting that the Gods grant him another chance. With Pogi a bit battered and Vingo still in doubts, he has a chance. Actually, he already had one. IMO he can be as good as those two.

I'm personally waiting for Remco to battle it out but I feel he will be competitive for some stages until he fades out with a bang in some stage.
No, he can't be as good as those two. Wishfull thinking.

Currently, Roglic level on a GT is more close to the level of guys like G.Thomas than close to the level of Pogacar and then Vingegaard.

No, he can't be as good as those two. Wishfull thinking.

Currently, Roglic level on a GT is more close to the level of guys like G.Thomas than close to the level of Pogacar and then Vingegaard.
I think he's above Thomas, really, but it depends on Vingegaard's state of affairs and Pogi's recovery from the Giro as to whether or not Roglic can be higher than they. Of the three, it seems Primoz has the most ideal trajectory in terms of preparation and pre-race build-up, which shall be more understood after the Dauphine.

Last edited:
I think he's above Thomas, really, but it depends on Vingegaard's state of affairs and Pogi's recovery from the Giro as to whether or not Roglic can be higher than they. Of the three, it seems Promoz has the most ideal trajectory in terms of preparation and pre-race build-up, which shall be more understood after the Dauphine.
Froome means the distance between Rog and Thomas is less than between Rog and Pog.

Reactions: Froome
I think he's above Thomas, really, but it depends on Vingegaard's state of affairs and Pogi's recovery from the Giro as to whether or not Roglic can be higher than they. Of the three, it seems Promoz has the most ideal trajectory in terms of preparation and pre-race build-up, which shall be more understood after the Dauphine.
I also think Roglic is above Thomas but not that much, and certainly more close to him, than close to Vingegaard and Pogacar in terms of GT level.

I was talking in normal conditions, if Roglic at 100% against Vingegaard and Pogacar at 100%, but there's a possibility that Vingegaard and Pogacar will not go to the Tour at 100%, so the chances of Roglic increase a bit.

Rogla will do just fine. He is GOAT stage racer and on top of that the most experienced GTer from them all. Motivation is high and the team again fully behind him. A crash or some *** like that could prevent him winning, still i find that less likely. So optimal preparation for Rogla and the team and nobody can stop them. There is no such force in nature and beyond.

LOL. Zero arguments. The usual personal interpretations of what's on other user's minds. Same b*****t. Every single time.

The only basis for a realistic comparison in a GT between Roglic and Geraint Thomas is Giro 2023. Roglic won by 14 seconds while injured and was belittled in his glorious victory by the usual gang around here because in the end he barely defeated an old man.

So since Geraint Thomas was 3rd in Tour 2022 by 10m or something to 1st (Vingo) and 2nd (Pogi), this is the "rationale" for stating that Roglic is closer to Geraint Thomas than Roglic is to Pog and Vingo.

Let's forget Vuelta 2023 where final times between contenders were much more closer and Geraint Thomas was 31st. And Roglic was the only one with a personality to state that he was there to win (or loose while trying). Vingo only managed to gain time on Roglic after a surprise attack for his "friend" (bollocks).

The lesson is that each race has its own story. You have to be smart to read what's going on in each one. Otherwise you keep seeing times differences as objective quantifications of performance that should prevail into other races. Which of course is an obvious mistake.

I'm mostly curious why we're talking about Thomas here.

Like if there is one dude you expect to not do a good Giro/Tour double it's Thomas.
Apparently, he seems to be a yardstick for being a bad GT rider for whatever reason.

I also think Roglic is above Thomas but not that much, and certainly more close to him, than close to Vingegaard and Pogacar in terms of GT level.

I was talking in normal conditions, if Roglic at 100% against Vingegaard and Pogacar at 100%, but there's a possibility that Vingegaard and Pogacar will not go to the Tour at 100%, so the chances of Roglic increase a bit.
Either that or he will blow everyone away for the n-th time by being a good GT rider. What a *** surprise…