• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Extreme quadriceps starting pain after 3-4 rest days

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 2, 2023
Visit site
I was thinking about this thread a couple of days ago and thought about replying saying I haven't had a problem for maybe a year now but without a reply for so long decided against doing so. I attribute the lack of a problem with following a training plan that gives very few rest days (and often do a couple of short trips on my commuter bike on those days). I also fortunately avoided any problems when I caught Covid in the autumn which stopped me training consistently for 3 months, I think this is consistent with previous breaks caused by illness which have resulted in no thigh pain, maybe a higher heart rate mitigates the problem?

Here's a link to the Cleveland Clinic article some possible things you can do to help: https://health.clevelandclinic.org/it-band-stretches-and-treatments-to-relieve-knee-and-hip-pain

"“Continuing the activity that led to the problem isn’t going to make it go away,” says Krampf."

For me, the only two options for recovering are serious rest for about 2 weeks (like 2000 steps maximum) - even walking around the house is a problem or otherwise getting on the bike as soon as it starts to hurt and immediately doing several all out anaerobic intervals from cold (no warm up as this aggravates it) until complete exhaustion. I also think my pain is more forwards of the thigh then the IT band.

I have had this issue since I was 25 (I am now 44). Two years ago I started taking allopurinol (200 mg/ day) for gout and have not had any debilitating rhabdo since. I'm convinced this is the reason. It took a few months, but eventually all rhabdo stopped. There is some evidence here: https://europepmc.org/article/pmc/4255256

Allopurinol is cheap and relatively harmless. I've shared this before, but felt compelled to do so again. I went on a ride 3 days ago and am about to go out for a worry free run. I hope this works for some of you as well.