• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

First person to hit double digits in GT stage wins

Who will win 10 stages in each GT?

• A future cyclist

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Nobody has ever won 10 stages in each Grand Tour before and it might never happen. The only cyclists that I can see accomplishing this are Cavendish or Pettachi but that does not mean others can not do this as well. WHo do you think would be able to do it or if nobody will ever accomplish this.

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Cav won 3 stages in one Vuelta, he may only take part once every two years, if that's the case then he'll get it in about 4 years from now, he should get 3 wins in next year's Giro, or the year after.

The Hitch said:
Contador could do it if he didnt give them away:p

Canc could have tried if the individual time trial wasnt a dying breed in gts.

Of course the main name that comes to mind is that of the big young green winning machine.

I was thinking Contador could do it but i don't see why he gives the stages away :mad:. Maybe The Badger needs to tell him about no gifts.

Maybe Canc could do it but has he ever raced the Giro before?

Yeah Cav is the favorite considering he should be able to finish 3 in the Giro and 7 in the Vuelta in 2-3 years.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
SHAD0W93 said:
I was thinking Contador could do it but i don't see why he gives the stages away :mad:. Maybe The Badger needs to tell him about no gifts.
It wasn't a gift as such. It was a thank you for the previous season's help at the Tour.

As for the OP's question, Cavendish will do it soon enough. Petacchi is too old now so unlikely to win 4 Tour stages before he retires, IMO. The rest have too much ground to make up.

It would have been interesting to see what Freddy Maertens could have done had he ridden the Giro more. He won 7 stages of the '77 edition, 8 Tour stages in '76 & 2 more in '78, as well as 13 Vuelta stages in 1977, so is only 3 away from the target in a shade over 2 years!

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
As said by others before me, Cavendish the only realistic possibility now.
Sagan somewhere down the line maybe.:)
Contador had a chance, but gifted too many away.
Pettachi would have done it, I'm sure, if not for injuries/suspensions.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Carols said:
and yes Contador could do it if he didn't gift so many stage wins.

He'd also have to show a lot more interest in the Vuelta than he has so far in his career (only doing it once because he couldn't do the Tour).

SHAD0W93 said:
I was thinking Contador could do it but i don't see why he gives the stages away :mad:.

Working with Contador if you are off the front with him on a climb would be suicidally stupid if he had a reputation for always contesting the win. Everyone would automatically try to sit on his wheel and he would have to do all the work himself. He is after all the best climber in the world. Instead, working with Contador is a good idea because you know that he'll let you have the stage if you can keep up with him and help him achieve his bigger goal.

Zinoviev Letter said:
Working with Contador if you are off the front with him on a climb would be suicidally stupid if he had a reputation for always contesting the win. Everyone would automatically try to sit on his wheel and he would have to do all the work himself. He is after all the best climber in the world. Instead, working with Contador is a good idea because you know that he'll let you have the stage if you can keep up with him and help him achieve his bigger goal.

Yes, Tiralongo really worked with Contador in that Giro stage:rolleyes:

And he had already had the Tour won when he refused to contest against Schlecks in Grand Bornard. With Andrew in Tourmalet he could have contested if he wanted to.

With Rujano in Grossglockner Contador did most of the work.

Also I dont see what cycling advantage he gained from not contesting final mountain points in the Giro so that Garzelli could win.

I know the reasons not to like Contador but some of the people who really hate him try to find faults where there are none.

You might want to consider him more of a Long John Silver, whose capable of many gentleman qualities, but evil on the inside, rather than a stone cold pure evil Captain Flint.

SHAD0W93 said:
Maybe Canc could do it but has he ever raced the Giro before?

Canc did the 09 Giro but retired ironically on the morning of the tt.

It was one of those Giro tts where tt bikes arent much use though.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Contador could do it if he didnt give them away:p

Canc could have tried if the individual time trial wasnt a dying breed in gts.

Of course the main name that comes to mind is that of the big young green winning machine.

Lol, Cancellara could never do it. He gets beaten 90% of the time in long GT time trials.

The Hitch said:
Yes, Tiralongo really worked with Contador in that Giro stage:rolleyes:

And he had already had the Tour won when he refused to contest against Schlecks in Grand Bornard. With Andrew in Tourmalet he could have contested if he wanted to.

With Rujano in Grossglockner Contador did most of the work.

Also I dont see what cycling advantage he gained from not contesting final mountain points in the Giro so that Garzelli could win.

I know the reasons not to like Contador but some of the people who really hate him try to find faults where there are none.

You might want to consider him more of a Long John Silver, whose capable of many gentleman qualities, but evil on the inside, rather than a stone cold pure evil Captain Flint.

I wasn't criticising him! Nor was I saying that self-interest is the only reason why he gives stage wins away. However, being generous in his position is smart - one of those happy situations where helping others also plays to your own advantage in the long run.

Contador has a reputation, earned through his actions, as a good guy to be off the front with, rather than the worst in the world which is what his talent should dictate. He also has a reputation for generosity towards his domestiques. These are useful ways to be perceived. Particularly, when you have bigger fish to fry.

If Petacchi enters the Tour in good form again he will win sprints again. He is the only cyclist who has proven consisently he can beat Cav in the big races.

That said, I don't think he will win 4 more. So its gonna be Cavendish.

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:
No one else things Sagan could do it. Hes already won 2 gt stages and hes 2/3 of the way into his first gt.

His problem would be that with the cobbled and ardennes classic schedule he might not be doing the Giro too much.

Sagan would need to race in each GT 5 times at this rate to do it, maybe 3 or 4 at least, Cav will get 10 in each by then.

Arnout said:
If Petacchi enters the Tour in good form again he will win sprints again. He is the only cyclist who has proven consisently he can beat Cav in the big races.

That said, I don't think he will win 4 more. So its gonna be Cavendish.

Petacchi only wins when Cav can't stage with the group on a big climb with the end or when he gets taken out in a crash.