• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 561 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Superman Lopez must be given a public apology by the UCI for sullying his good name, perhaps with a Tour Wildcard for Medellin as compensation, post-haste!

'Supermán' López sees the light: TAS cleared his name in the case of doping and Astana must pay him a large sum​

The Court considered that the cyclist did not violate the rules in the 2022 Giro d'Italia.​

After several months of silence and uncertainty regarding the career of Colombian Miguel Ángel López, the Court of Arbitration for Sports resolved his situation this Thursday, leaving great news.

According to what is known from European soil, the CAS decision reverses the sanction imposed by the Astana team, which had terminated López's contract after the investigation by the Spanish Civil Guard in Operation Ilex.

This investigation pointed to doctor Marcos Maynar as the leader of a doping network that involved several cyclists, including López.

It should be remembered that suspicions about López were based on a Civil Guard report that suggested that an injury that forced him to abandon the 2022 Giro d'Italia was due to the intravenous administration of menotropin, a banned substance. However, the CAS did not find sufficient evidence to support this claim.

What's next for Superman?​

To date, the cyclist remains suspended by the UCI, despite the absence of a positive result in any doping control. The Colombian has already expressed his desire to return to racing and prove his innocence on the track; However, he must wait that he will come.

A hard blow for Operation Ilex​

The CAS decision represents a severe setback for Operation Ilex and calls into question the credibility of some of the evidence presented against it.

López's exoneration could have a significant impact on other cases related to this investigation.

Superman Lopez must be given a public apology by the UCI for sullying his good name, perhaps with a Tour Wildcard for Medellin as compensation, post-haste!

'Supermán' López sees the light: TAS cleared his name in the case of doping and Astana must pay him a large sum​

The Court considered that the cyclist did not violate the rules in the 2022 Giro d'Italia.​

After several months of silence and uncertainty regarding the career of Colombian Miguel Ángel López, the Court of Arbitration for Sports resolved his situation this Thursday, leaving great news.

According to what is known from European soil, the CAS decision reverses the sanction imposed by the Astana team, which had terminated López's contract after the investigation by the Spanish Civil Guard in Operation Ilex.

This investigation pointed to doctor Marcos Maynar as the leader of a doping network that involved several cyclists, including López.

It should be remembered that suspicions about López were based on a Civil Guard report that suggested that an injury that forced him to abandon the 2022 Giro d'Italia was due to the intravenous administration of menotropin, a banned substance. However, the CAS did not find sufficient evidence to support this claim.

What's next for Superman?​

To date, the cyclist remains suspended by the UCI, despite the absence of a positive result in any doping control. The Colombian has already expressed his desire to return to racing and prove his innocence on the track; However, he must wait that he will come.

A hard blow for Operation Ilex​

The CAS decision represents a severe setback for Operation Ilex and calls into question the credibility of some of the evidence presented against it.

López's exoneration could have a significant impact on other cases related to this investigation.
I hope he sues UCI as well.

Sometimes it’s better to not know.

As much as I loved watching Phelps go all 8 for 8 in Beijing back then, it’s true some sports are too bloated. I guess some would say cycling doesn’t need 90+ riders for a single event though. The Olympics is too much of a production for me to get worked up about these days anyway.
I agree. I loved watching the Olympic as a kid and beyond, because enjoyed any sport out there. I went to 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver and had a great time. But at this point I’d be fine if the whole thing imploded.

Reactions: Tricycle Rider