• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Geraint Thomas

Page 65 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Unless something weird and/or tragic happens, GT has a shot at "best of the rest". The field behind Pogacar isn't deep at all, and Geraint looks well prepared and strong from the get-go at this Giro. There's no shame in losing to Pogacar in his prime. This can be another great GT campaign for Geraint Thomas and grow his legacy. Good luck to him.

Unless something weird and/or tragic happens, GT has a shot at "best of the rest". The field behind Pogacar isn't deep at all, and Geraint looks well prepared and strong from the get-go at this Giro. There's no shame in losing to Pogacar in his prime. This can be another great GT campaign for Geraint Thomas and grow his legacy. Good luck to him.
Somebody smarter than me will know how many cyclists have finished on the podium of a grand tour aged 38 or older. Can’t imagine it’s a long list…

Reactions: Potomac
Somebody smarter than me will know how many cyclists have finished on the podium of a grand tour aged 38 or older. Can’t imagine it’s a long list…
Don't have to go back far, though - Valverde was 2nd in the 2019 Vuelta at age 39.

Elsewhere though, slim pickings. Péraud in the 2014 Tour and Thomas in last year's Giro were both 37. Cadel Evans' last podium was the 2013 Giro at 36. Gino Bartali was 4th in the 1953 Giro shortly before his 39th birthday, but he was only 36 at his last podium. Even Lance Armstrong was still 37 (and 10 months) in the 2009 Tour, but that has obviously been stricken from the record. Joop Zoetemelk, who was one of the first names that came to my mind as a possibility, actually had his last GT podium at 35.

Don't have to go back far, though - Valverde was 2nd in the 2019 Vuelta at age 39.

Elsewhere though, slim pickings. Péraud in the 2014 Tour and Thomas in last year's Giro were both 37. Cadel Evans' last podium was the 2013 Giro at 36. Gino Bartali was 4th in the 1953 Giro shortly before his 39th birthday, but he was only 36 at his last podium. Even Lance Armstrong was still 37 (and 10 months) in the 2009 Tour, but that has obviously been stricken from the record. Joop Zoetemelk, who was one of the first names that came to my mind as a possibility, actually had his last GT podium at 35.
Poulidor was 40 in 1976 when he was 3rd.

LMAO "grow his legacy" if he get's 2nd.
Pretty sure GT podiums count towards a legacy. Are we saying Ullrich didn't grow his legacy racing against Armstrong and getting 2nd six times in Le Tour? I count a podium as worthy of recognition towards a legacy above the typical GT rider not on the podium, even in the age of Armstrong or Pogacar.