• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Giro d‘Italia 2024 Stage 15, Manerba del Garda-Livigno (Mottolino), 222 km

Page 37 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
One little thing that does make me chuckle is how in 2018 Froome made this calculation that if he is the strongest rider in the race, the peloton gets blown up so everyone is on his own and he attacks with 80km to go he can do the unthinkable and gain 3 minutes on one stage. Meanwhile Pogacar has a little pull by Majka on 6% gradients, attacks and gains 3 minutes on 15km.

Yeah, I know, completely different scenario, completely different opponents, but still. The best gc rider in the world gaining 3 minutes was the craziest thing in 2018 and it took an insane 80km solo to achieve it. Now we are barely surprised when the likes of Pogacar and Vingegaard pull off this kind of stuff.
Tbf, Froome already had 2'45" on Sestriere.

One little thing that does make me chuckle is how in 2018 Froome made this calculation that if he is the strongest rider in the race, the peloton gets blown up so everyone is on his own and he attacks with 80km to go he can do the unthinkable and gain 3 minutes on one stage. Meanwhile Pogacar has a little pull by Majka on 6% gradients, attacks and gains 3 minutes on 15km.

Yeah, I know, completely different scenario, completely different opponents, but still. The best gc rider in the world gaining 3 minutes was the craziest thing in 2018 and it took an insane 80km solo to achieve it. Now we are barely surprised when the likes of Pogacar and Vingegaard pull off this kind of stuff.
He basically gained 3 minutes on Foscagno alone. Completely mad. That was like 6-6,5 km. Now I know the rest didnt go as fast as they could, but still.

Need one out of Pog/Vinge in every single GT. If only to be aware of the bigger picture. The way things are people have no reason to hype any other GC rider because no one will finish within 10 minutes of Pog.
Best case would be both going H2H but it's still better than a race that features 2nd/3rd tier GC riders fighting for the win.

Atilla Valter followed Pog just for this pic, and it was worth it

GN9XQJQW8AELrCF
Awesome :)

Reactions: Lequack

Finestre was a case where the stage was so hard a really thin margin blew up to 3 minutes. Like I dont believe that was even Froome at the peak of his powers anymore

Oh and a funny one, do you rememver Valverde pulling back 2 minutes on Cobtador on Fuente De?

Reactions: kingjr
So, he did something like 7.4 w/kg for 13 minutes adjusted to sea level? Don't believe these numbers at all. Seems too good... unfortunately the only way to see Vingegaard and Pogacar's true level is by seeing both riding a "mano a mano"
Naichaca altitude adjustments are off the charts why does anyone talk about them.

Also, they havent mentioned the tailwind. Because ofcourse they didnt

Froome only attacked early on that Finestre stage out of sheer panic from the beatdown Simon Yates was serving up, dropping some of the best cyclismo of the 21st century the two weeks prior. Luckily for Dawg, Yates had already decided to energy save for his main season-goal La Vuelta. Which he won. No charge for the analysis don't worry.

• Haha
Reactions: SHAD0W93