• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Giro d‘Italia 2024 Stage 3, Novara-Fossano, 166 km

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Much more entertaining stage than it promised to be.

GM6s_5SXMAAvhEa

GM6plnIWsAAbtfG

GM6K3j5W4AAVU2p

GM6r7NgXUAAobOH

GM6ZZeNWMAAY7sx

So Teddy attacked today. Wut? One just can't not love the guy. Right, @Red Rick ?

This his how saving energy for the double looks like. What was he thinking? Was he thinking at all? Maybe he already subconciously decided to screw the Tour, win 10 Giro stages and prepare for the worlds. If not then what will he say during Bonette stage when Vingo finds his legs or Rogla drops a carefully planned watt bomb on that day?

I'm gone, I'm dead.

Reactions: sevenall
This is why Pogacar is the people's champ!

I mean, who doesnt like this guy? And who would rather watch Dani M, G Thomas, Ben Connor etc. fight it out? Thats just a recipe for disaster
hes not only the peoples champs hes done things at age 25 that only was seen before from the Merckx in a totally different more specialized era now...and as people stated before theres not a single person in cycling who dont know hes nr 1. Hes honestly most likely like Thomas, Gilbert Contador etc and others said fully on his way to the status of Merckx already from the peleton it speaks volume. He does it all with fun and panache how one can not like this guy is a mystery indeed, Who dont like beeing able to witness history beeing written right in front you. Just special

So Teddy attacked today. Wut? One just can't not love the guy. Right, @Red Rick ?

This his how saving energy for the double looks like. What was he thinking? Was he thinking at all? Maybe he already subconciously decided to screw the Tour, win 10 Giro stages and prepare for the worlds. If not then what will he say during Bonette stage when Vingo finds his legs or Rogla drops a carefully planned watt bomb on that day?

I'm gone, I'm dead.
He didn't. He followed an attack. He said so himself. I appreciate the honesty.

In reality, if he wanted to win this stage, he should have just attacked the hill himself. What he ended up doing was terrible if your aim is to win the stagse. He didn't contribute until Honore was already dead and then he instantly fried Thomas as well.

He didn't. He followed an attack. He said so himself. I appreciate the honesty.

In reality, if he wanted to win this stage, he should have just attacked the hill himself. What he ended up doing was terrible if your aim is to win the stagse. He didn't contribute until Honore was already dead and then he instantly fried Thomas as well.
wasnt your fav rider Contador?

Note: What you wrote with regarding the stage agree with. Not likely pogacar tried to win the stage other than in spasm kinda way at the end in my opinion too dont think he planned to attack, he followed it was just when thomas went around he said fck it lets go type thing.

Last edited:
He was. A rider of true style and panache
I 100% agree but Pogacar is the closest weve seen just in terms of panache and style, no?

I might have missed something since someone said u hated him sorry why I asked, totally fine not to like a rider thats individual.

I feel in love with cycling again cause of Contador of the reason you mentioned also the ridiculous talent he had.

I 100% agree but Pogacar is the closest weve seen just in terms of panache and style, no?

I might have missed something since someone said u hated him sorry why I asked, totally fine not to like a rider thats individual.

I feel in love with cycling again cause of Contador of the reason you mentioned also the ridiculous talent he had.
Contador‘s attacks had a higher failure rate and he wasn‘t as overpowered in most contexts. Also, Rick is a Roglič fan which is hardly compatible with being a Pog fan.

Contador‘s attacks had a higher failure rate and he wasn‘t as overpowered in most contexts. Also, Rick is a Roglič fan which is hardly compatible with being a Pog fan.
Ok, understand. he has good taste then, you can still like both. Just as you can appriciate both brunette and blondes one thing doesnt have to mean the other. Life becomes so much more enjoyable then.:sweatsmile:

Contador might had more failure rate but at the end of his career he wasnt as strong as before aswell so only natural, he never lost the panache and style tho. Contadors talent was ridiculous how talented he was at GT at one point. For me one of the very best GT riders of all time, believe he also won GT's with 10 year apart from eachother which is very very rare and speaks volume of the talent.

agreed. This is not quite how it would have gone down if it was actually his plan to win this stage. Besides attacking earlier, he would have likely used his team in some way or another. This was purely an opportunistic spasm

I think many times we love or hate athletes for either dumb reasons or reasons we're not really aware of. And I would be lying if LPDBF had absolutely nothing to do with that.

But I've never vibed with dominance being exciting, and the way a lot of the cycling discourse is going right now is rubbing me the wrong way.

We all have some sort of perception on what makes the most sense, is right, and if something goes against that then we might perceive it as unfavourable. So on last years edition we had rainfall of biblical proportions and riders not prepared to attack all that much. That rubbed some the wrong way and it made sense to others that considering all the circumstances involved accepted it's going to be a long foreplay before a potential climax. This year we have Pogi of biblical proportions with guaranteed climax every day. Likely age has something to do with it too. Now without foreplay that is rubbing some the wrong way and the ones left out last year can enjoy the show this edition. So i guess the universe is in balance again.

At the Tour 2024 hopefully for both to enjoy it!

I find it funny that people are using him"not attacking himself" against him. It actually makes me like his move even more. Pogacar is kinda boring when he is in a hard race where he can just pick a spot to demolish everyone. Him following an attack without thinking too much about it, looking around a bit before saying "f*ck it, I'll give it a go" is so much more human and easier to like.

I get why people want to root for underdogs, but riders just going for it when they feel like it are so so rare that I have to root for him. I mean I honestly like Roglic too, but the only similarity he has with Contador is that he used to be the top dog (for a very short time) and lost that status to someone else. Pogacar and Contador are also very different in many ways but what got Contador so many fans was solely his "always go for the win" mentality and that is exactly where his similarity to Pogacar is striking.

Nah, Rogla is always in it for the win too. Don't know when was the last time he entered a race and that wasn't the case. Likely dates back to 2018 season and maybe his maiden race with Bora could count too. On contrary i don't feel Pogi was 100% in it for the win today. More like 20% and the rest was just having some fun.