• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Giro d‘Italia 2024, Stage 5, Genova-Lucca, 178 km

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Ok, ah riddle!
But I fear I am lost.

I mean it's Menchov 2007 I guess, but I don't understand the connection. Or maybe I forgot Menchov regularly loosing time randomly in GTs.
Yeah, I don't remember that either.

I have a better one:

chrisfroomelapresse_0.jpg

Ok, ah riddle!
But I fear I am lost.

I mean it's Menchov 2007 I guess, but I don't understand the connection. Or maybe I forgot Menchov regularly loosing time randomly in GTs.
Menchov was frequently the worst-placed GC rider in groups and miss splits or even just lose a few seconds due to time gaps at the finishing line. Even when he didn't lose time, he'd often be the one that got caught out in splits and have to expend domestiques to pull him back. Even in races like the 2010 Tour when other GC contenders were coming in between 15th and 30th in bunch finishes he was down in the 60s somewhere. He hated the fight for position early in his career when there was no pressure on GC position for him so would frequently hang out at the back of the bunch when the pace got up, and it was a real struggle for him to break that habit.

Fortunately for him, back in those days there were a lot more "sprint of the entire péloton" kind of days where the break would gain a huge amount of time then be reeled back so the pace wasn't high all day long, but if there were splits at the line where somebody let a second go between them and the rider in front, he was inevitably behind that split.

I consider him not being able to follow the first day also somewhat random. As in I don't see why a guy who can chew of 10 seconds from Pogacars lead the one day, looses time on the mentioned two other days out of 5 overall. It's a bit wild for inconsistency don't you think?
That's what I meant by random.
No i don't think that's wild, personally. When he first lost time it was a hard fought punchy final on the first day of a GT, plenty of guys have a hard time finding their groove the first day when they prepared for 3 weeks. That's not random at all.

going by the post race interviews, it sounds like it was Thomas who initiated the move, asking several riders to join him on the attack right after the intermediate sprint. He probably hoped for more than 3 to do so, but good job to still pull it off.

I just skipped through the coverage again, btw, and only on one occasion (with around 7k to go) I saw a tv moto in front of the breakaway.

Reactions: jmdirt
Pietrobon has been full suckwheeling for a while now
While both English commentators on Eurosport & Cyclingnews live feed missed it, Pietrobon free-wheeled without even a token pull for 20 kms at minimum. Probably clearly longer before I paid any attention. Chapeau to a trio for believing in themselves!!!

...as both of holding the peloton in bay AND beating Pietrobon anyway without his participation.

Paleni will be getting a favor from EF and/or Cofidis one of these days. Pietrobon won't.

While both English commentators on Eurosport & Cyclingnews live feed missed it, Pietrobon free-wheeled without even a token pull for 20 kms at minimum. Probably clearly longer before I paid any attention. Chapeau to a trio for believing in themselves!!!

...as both of holding the peloton in bay AND beating Pietrobon anyway without his participation.

Paleni will be getting a favor from EF and/or Cofidis one of these days. Pietrobon won't.
I love how it wasn't all the doping scandals, mass injuries and deaths that finally got you to post something after 11 years, but this pro-conti guy not pulling in a random Giro breakaway.

A real '**** you in-particular' moment

Reactions: SafeBet

His last pull shown was with 7 or 8 km to go.

Reactions: SafeBet
I love how it wasn't all the doping scandals, mass injuries and deaths that finally got you to post something after 11 years, but this pro-conti guy not pulling in a random Giro breakaway.

A real '**** you in-particular' moment
I hadn't remembered these forums even existed for a longest time. :blush:

And tbh - it wasn't the irritation with Pietrobon which made me post after an eternity, but rather the frustration with the commentators who kept lauding the co-operation for ages after it was clear to every observant eye that Pietrobon wasn't pulling at all.

I am fine with his tactics. I am not fine of paid pundits being so totally absent of the real situation. Shame to whole studio of those idiots...

I hadn't remembered these forums even existed for a longest time. :blush:

And tbh - it wasn't the irritation with Pietrobon which made me post after an eternity, but rather the frustration with the commentators who kept lauding the co-operation for ages after it was clear to every observant eye that Pietrobon wasn't pulling at all.

I am fine with his tactics. I am not fine of paid pundits being so totally absent of the real situation. Shame to whole studio of those idiots...

did you like them before today and their wrong take about the co-operation transformed them in idiots to your eyes?

By the way... I have commented here before. Did extensively on that Vuelta stage where Contador ambushed Froome and secured overall for Nairo in 2016. Apparently my earlier posting history has just been erased.

Or maybe I do have two accounts - one for both emails :astonished:. Needed to seek for a new password for this one. Have to check whether there is another passive account for my other email - definitely dormant for whole of 2020's...

did you like them before today and their wrong take about the co-operation transformed them in idiots to your eyes?
Never liked them. At times they are passable, at times unbearable. Way too partisan in anglo-centricism even in their good days.

I would prefer commentary in Euskara but it is not available on my subscriptions. Best sports commentary is usually the one which relays the emotion but you don't understand what they say.

And I have a VERY high bar for tv commentators (any sport. any language). There might be about 2 or 3 who do an excellent job unerringly out of 1,000 clowns.