• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d’Abruzzo 9 to 12 April 2024 (2.1)

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Ulissi to win the race from the breakaway tomorrow?

Ef9R9tG.jpeg

most embarrassing team performance of the year

Narrow roads between tactical good and tactical bad. If Yates had the legs in the end it would have been all good. How they used Sivakov before the big attack from Yates was just after the cycling book.
By end of the day.. Yates just didn't have a legs... and UAE look bad now I get it. But don't think this was so bad as it look. Only clear mistake to me was that Ulissi shouldn't have pull in the end... He should have taking the stage win.. But easy to say after.

Anyway... Yates not in form jet.. But good to have him back and I'm sure he'll be for the Tour.

Not a UAE fail because they met their objective (UCI points)

Not that many points in 2.1.
They basically already won the UCI ranking in 2024 also.. Can't see anyone finish over them. They miles ahead of Visma.

Ulissi to win the race from the breakaway tomorrow?

Ef9R9tG.jpeg

Agree, can't see Yates win this race.. But Ulissi and Sivakov have real shot tbh!

By end of the day.. Yates just didn't have a legs... and UAE look bad now I get it. But don't think this was so bad as it look. Only clear mistake to me was that Ulissi shouldn't have pull in the end... He should have taking the stage win.. But easy to say after.

Ok but that's literally a super bad decision. It was obvious that Yates wasn't really good here and that he couldn't drop Lutsenko, he tried multiple times. Lutsenko tried once and Yates was in throuble. It's just an incredibly dumb choice to let Ulissi pull there. And not just because he's the fastest there, also because at the moment he starts Sivakov is like 5 seconds behind and Sivakov was still in good position in GC, could've atleast kept him closer. Now GC is basically done and they also missed the stage win. That's a huge fail.

Ok but that's literally a super bad decision. It was obvious that Yates wasn't really good here and that he couldn't drop Lutsenko, he tried multiple times. Lutsenko tried once and Yates was in throuble. It's just an incredibly dumb choice to let Ulissi pull there. And not just because he's the fastest there, also because at the moment he starts Sivakov is like 5 seconds behind and Sivakov was still in good position in GC, could've atleast kept him closer. Now GC is basically done and they also missed the stage win. That's a huge fail.
You are really the type of person who can explain it perfectly via the computer after every ride. why didn't you become a DS? tomorrow is a tough ride. not a single km is flat. if you set a high pace early on with Torres and Laengen, Lutsenko will soon be alone.

Reactions: Sandisfan

I don't disagree with that. As I said I think the end with Ulissi pulling was mistake.

But it wasn't obvious all day that Yates couldn't drop Lutsenko. I think it was fair enough they was making the race hard for Yates.

When they had found out Yates couldn't drop Lutsenko. Then they should have changed tactics. I agree with that

You are really the type of person who can explain it perfectly via the computer after every ride. why didn't you become a DS? tomorrow is a tough ride. not a single km is flat. if you set a high pace early on with Torres and Laengen, Lutsenko will soon be alone.

Ofcourse being negative about UAE isn't allowed by you lmao.
You're literally explaining why it was a horrible idea to keep pacing (and put Sivakov on 20+ seconds extra) instead of keeping more guys close and let Ulissi go for the win.

You just can't pull that "why aren't you a DS" card when everyone here was already saying it was bad tactical move while they were doing it. Honestly you can never pull that card cause that just means you can never be critical of anyone in life cause you're not in his "position". It's the typical "omg if you can do better, do it yourself or keep quite".

But it wasn't obvious all day that Yates couldn't drop Lutsenko. I think it was fair enough they was making the race hard for Yates.

People are complaining about the last 5km, not all day. It was obvious in the last 5km of the race. A good Yates would've already been gone by then. No one is laughing with them pacing hard all day, ofcourse that's valid tactics, it's about them sacrificing Ulissi in the end instead of having him winning the stage and by doing that also putting their own teammate who was still close in GC on more seconds.

People are complaining about the last 5km, not all day. It was obvious in the last 5km of the race. A good Yates would've already been gone by then. No one is laughing with them pacing hard all day, ofcourse that's valid tactics, it's about them sacrificing Ulissi in the end instead of having him winning the stage and by doing that also putting their own teammate who was still close in GC on more seconds.

Well I agree with that

Well, chapeau Lutsenko. I thought the UAE numbers would do him in, but just hung in there and grabbed the win.
Good to see two Tudor guys, Bennet and Double all hang on, which might mean it wasn't full mutant mode today. Yates was good but maybe not 100%. The guy we all care about made it in 10th position, 2 minutes back, but a good bit of leg testing for Pozzovivo - the Giro dream is still on!